Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
The SCC is at it again....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

 


bradmc


Nov 18, 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #1 of 32 (9112 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2003
Posts: 78

The SCC is at it again....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The SCC is at it again... expanding YOUR climbing opportunities in the deep South.

We’re buying another crag in Alabama! The ink has barely dried on the contract for Crag X & we’re in full tilt fund raising mode!

The clock is ticking & we’ve got under 90 days till closing. Email & call your friends this is HUGE for southeast climbing! Even if you can only spare $10, every little bit helps. Spread the word & let’s get this thing done so we can all go climb at a new crag in early ’09!

so far we have raised over $6,000 in 24 hours - and another $8k was raised off the radar in the past 2 weeks.

Sorry for the secrecy on the name, the official announcement will be on December 5th at the Stone Fort Triple Crown bouldering comp. This project has been three years in the making.

Here’s a link with more info & to pledge donations.

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11226

A minimum $10 donation also gets you a year’s membership in the SCC. You can donate online on the SCC’s website under ‘Join Now’ & type ‘Crag X’ in the For box. But please post your pledge on the above link so we can track donations.

You can donate online here: http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=membership

just type in "Crag X" into the info box.

It’s an exciting time for SEclimbers. Let’s get this one paid for so we can move on to the next acquisition!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The Southeastern Climbers Coalition
www.seclimbers.org


kovacs69


Nov 18, 2008, 7:04 PM
Post #2 of 32 (9092 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 15, 2005
Posts: 607

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bradmc wrote:
The SCC is at it again... expanding YOUR climbing opportunities in the deep South.

We’re buying another crag in Alabama! The ink has barely dried on the contract for Crag X & we’re in full tilt fund raising mode!

The clock is ticking & we’ve got under 90 days till closing. Email & call your friends this is HUGE for southeast climbing! Even if you can only spare $10, every little bit helps. Spread the word & let’s get this thing done so we can all go climb at a new crag in early ’09!

so far we have raised over $6,000 in 24 hours - and another $8k was raised off the radar in the past 2 weeks.

Sorry for the secrecy on the name, the official announcement will be on December 5th at the Stone Fort Triple Crown bouldering comp. This project has been three years in the making.

Here’s a link with more info & to pledge donations.

http://www.seclimbers.org/...iewtopic&t=11226

A minimum $10 donation also gets you a year’s membership in the SCC. You can donate online on the SCC’s website under ‘Join Now’ & type ‘Crag X’ in the For box. But please post your pledge on the above link so we can track donations.

You can donate online here: http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=membership

just type in "Crag X" into the info box.

It’s an exciting time for SEclimbers. Let’s get this one paid for so we can move on to the next acquisition!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The Southeastern Climbers Coalition
http://www.seclimbers.org

Clicky


(This post was edited by kovacs69 on Nov 18, 2008, 7:04 PM)


Partner j_ung


Nov 19, 2008, 7:05 AM
Post #3 of 32 (9037 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [kovacs69] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bump!


Partner j_ung


Nov 20, 2008, 9:53 AM
Post #4 of 32 (8908 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bumparoo.


limeydave


Nov 20, 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #5 of 32 (8881 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 23, 2006
Posts: 2453

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There's another thread in General.

Maybe combine?

I'd like to see this get some attention too though, also love a good cause even if the locals are grabbing the FA's as fast as they can while hoping we'll all chip in...I don't mind, some money for you guys tomorrow. Someone save me a moderate face?? Wink


j_ungtest3


Nov 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #6 of 32 (8822 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 6, 2008
Posts: 4

Re: [limeydave] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll look for the other thread and see what I can do. Thanks for the heads up, Dave. Smile


Valarc


Nov 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #7 of 32 (8767 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Posts: 1473

Re: [j_ungtest3] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's a direct link to the forum thread at seclimbers discussing the acquisition:

http://www.seclimbers.org/...iewtopic&t=11226

They are keeping the exact location close to the chest for now, and revealing it at the Triple Crown finale the first weekend of December. From the hints that have been dropped, I have the impression that most of the FA's have been claimed already, whether that means it's been climbed illegally, or used to be open some time in the distant past. Either way, I'm looking forward to another crag being opened in an area littered with access issues, and have sent my donation in.


ACJ


Nov 21, 2008, 6:15 AM
Post #8 of 32 (8674 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 162

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

Asking for money for a secret crag?
Will this be another site where you have to apply to do FA's?

I don't think I quite understand the climbing community out here but it seems to have strong support from it's climbers. Tons of money has been raised already even though I don't understand why.

The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want. I disagree with keeping things secret from other climbers and definitely don't want to be a part of regulating who can put up new routes.

I understand that they are fighting for access, I just disagree with the way they are going about it as well as how it is managed once they have it.

Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?


johnwesely


Nov 21, 2008, 7:33 AM
Post #9 of 32 (8633 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5344

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.


Partner j_ung


Nov 21, 2008, 7:40 AM
Post #10 of 32 (8629 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

Asking for money for a secret crag?
Will this be another site where you have to apply to do FA's?

I don't think I quite understand the climbing community out here but it seems to have strong support from it's climbers. Tons of money has been raised already even though I don't understand why.

The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want. I disagree with keeping things secret from other climbers and definitely don't want to be a part of regulating who can put up new routes.

I understand that they are fighting for access, I just disagree with the way they are going about it as well as how it is managed once they have it.

Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?

Well... you might be. First, tell me where you moved from.


Partner j_ung


Nov 21, 2008, 7:43 AM
Post #11 of 32 (8623 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [johnwesely] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.

That's my impression. I also seem to think that this crag used to be open, then was closed.

I'm a little pissed at myself to be honest. Somebody in the know told me what crag it is, but I was a little tipsy and I don't remember. Seriously. I suppose I could just ask again, but I'm okay not knowing until it's announced.


Valarc


Nov 21, 2008, 8:07 AM
Post #12 of 32 (8597 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Posts: 1473

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

I personally have no problem with the secrecy. Even in those areas where the SCC has fought and finally secured access, there are idiots there every day jeopardizing access. You need to look no further than LRC/Stone Fort to see how people are willing to abuse our agreements with land owners. LRC is privately owned, on a golf course no less, and it took a lot of compromises to get the owners to even consider allowing access. That means the admittedly annoying pass system, which is in place to limit both climber impact on the property and also the amount of the golf course parking we use. Lately, however, people have been blatantly disregarding the rules, bringing dogs when they aren't allowed, climbing on closed boulders, and coming to the boulderfield without passes. It's gotten to the point where the owners are upset and access to one of the finest bouldering destinations in the southeast could be threatened again.

My point in all of this? There are always a few rotten eggs who will selfishly put their own interests first, jeopardizing access for all of us. Access to this crag is not secured yet and until it is, I see no problem with keeping it secret. If you're turned off by that fact, then wait until the location is revealed two weeks from now, and then decide whether you want to donate.

I personally like the idea of announcing it with some drama and excitement at an event with as much positive energy as the Triple Crown.


johnwesely


Nov 21, 2008, 8:46 AM
Post #13 of 32 (8570 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5344

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.

That's my impression. I also seem to think that this crag used to be open, then was closed.

I'm a little pissed at myself to be honest. Somebody in the know told me what crag it is, but I was a little tipsy and I don't remember. Seriously. I suppose I could just ask again, but I'm okay not knowing until it's announced.

I am pretty sure that I know, but it will be interesting to find out on the 6th


ACJ


Nov 21, 2008, 9:30 AM
Post #14 of 32 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 162

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
ACJ wrote:
So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

Asking for money for a secret crag?
Will this be another site where you have to apply to do FA's?

I don't think I quite understand the climbing community out here but it seems to have strong support from it's climbers. Tons of money has been raised already even though I don't understand why.

The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want. I disagree with keeping things secret from other climbers and definitely don't want to be a part of regulating who can put up new routes.

I understand that they are fighting for access, I just disagree with the way they are going about it as well as how it is managed once they have it.

Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?

Well... you might be. First, tell me where you moved from.

I always seem to be moving but have spent most of my time in Utah and Arkansas.


ACJ


Nov 21, 2008, 9:33 AM
Post #15 of 32 (8530 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 162

Re: [johnwesely] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.

Cool, I was mainly thinking about Laurel Knob and have heard the whole FA application has been a cluster. I am just wondering if they are going to continue to do this on other crags, or if it will just be a select few people who get to develop stuff and then it gets released to the rest of us.


ACJ


Nov 21, 2008, 9:35 AM
Post #16 of 32 (8528 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 162

Re: [Valarc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
ACJ wrote:
So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

There are always a few rotten eggs who will selfishly put their own interests first, jeopardizing access for all of us. Access to this crag is not secured yet and until it is, I see no problem with keeping it secret. If you're turned off by that fact, then wait until the location is revealed two weeks from now, and then decide whether you want to donate.

That makes sense.


Valarc


Nov 21, 2008, 9:40 AM
Post #17 of 32 (8525 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Posts: 1473

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

FWIW, Laurel Knob is the CCC, not the SCC. The FA management plan is, as far as I can tell, in place to control bolting. You've got to realize that the Carolinas have a unique local outlook on bolting, and while I'm not part of that scene, I can see how it would be very easy for bolt wars and/or chopping to become an issue if people started to do things that buck the traditions of the locals. I can't speak to how well the Laurel Knob management plan is working, but I can say I doubt it was put in place lightly.


(This post was edited by Valarc on Nov 21, 2008, 10:16 AM)


johnwesely


Nov 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #18 of 32 (8507 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5344

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.

Cool, I was mainly thinking about Laurel Knob and have heard the whole FA application has been a cluster. I am just wondering if they are going to continue to do this on other crags, or if it will just be a select few people who get to develop stuff and then it gets released to the rest of us.

You are thinking about the CCC not the SCC. North Carolina has a very strong trad ethic and naturally the CCC just wants to make sure that FAs are put up in a responsible manner that respects the areas history. Is it a little bit of an old boys club? Sure, but if it was not for them then no one could climb a Laurel Knob.


keinangst


Nov 21, 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #19 of 32 (8496 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 31, 2003
Posts: 1408

Re: [johnwesely] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I believe part of the secrecy is to avoid premature "infighting" or complaining about priorities or preferences.

Clearly, momentum is key--I mainly boulder, but I think it's in all of our best interests to get as many areas into private climber hands as possible. Boat Rock (GA), King's Bluff (TN), Jamestown (AL), and now this one.

(I expect it to be Yellow Creek or Yellow Bluff near Sandrock and Lake Weiss, but that's my own speculation based on the fact that it's in Alabama, and most of the other crags, AFAIK, have hit big barriers with access.)


wzrdgandalf


Nov 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #20 of 32 (8469 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Posts: 261

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got drunk as piss with the president of the SCC at Boulderween and got them to tell me the crag, but like you j_ung I have forgotten it as well. I cant wait to hear where.

Donating even $10 will help out guys. Help out if you can.


Partner j_ung


Nov 21, 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #21 of 32 (8455 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
j_ung wrote:
ACJ wrote:
So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

Asking for money for a secret crag?
Will this be another site where you have to apply to do FA's?

I don't think I quite understand the climbing community out here but it seems to have strong support from it's climbers. Tons of money has been raised already even though I don't understand why.

The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want. I disagree with keeping things secret from other climbers and definitely don't want to be a part of regulating who can put up new routes.

I understand that they are fighting for access, I just disagree with the way they are going about it as well as how it is managed once they have it.

Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?

Well... you might be. First, tell me where you moved from.

I always seem to be moving but have spent most of my time in Utah and Arkansas.

Gotcha. Well, Arkansas doesn't apply to this so much, but -- and I'm speaking very generally here -- compared to the west, the east has a lot of rock on private property. The approach to access here, especially in the southeast is sort of tip-toe, tread lightly kind of thing, specifically to not upset fragile balances in negotiations. Now, I'm not saying western access negotiations aren't also delicate. I am saying that the east probably has more such negotiations going on.


saxfiend


Nov 21, 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #22 of 32 (8417 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 1208

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?
The point you're missing, which is totally understandable, is that this crag is secret due to its history. Like a number of other crags on private property in the southeast, this one was once open to climbing but was closed down by the property owner. Now the SCC is going to be the property owner. It's taken the SCC a LONG time and a lot of hard work to get in a position to purchase this area, and until all the details are finalized, they don't want anything to happen (like climbers sneaking in) to screw up the deal. Once it is finalized, it won't be a secret anymore. So just be patient.

Before you make judgments about how the SCC or CCC manage the crags they own and open up to everyone, spend some time learning about the history of climbing down here. If not for the efforts of these two groups, several amazing climbing destinations -- the greatest examples being Laurel Knob in NC and Jamestown in AL -- would be totally off limits. Sorry you don't like the idea of regulating new route development, but it sure beats the hell out of not being able to climb at these places at all.

ACJ wrote:
The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want.
Then you're not going to like it here. As Jay said, most climbable rock in the south is on private property.

JL


ACJ


Nov 21, 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #23 of 32 (8392 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 162

Re: [saxfiend] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

saxfiend wrote:
ACJ wrote:
Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?
The point you're missing, which is totally understandable, is that this crag is secret due to its history. Like a number of other crags on private property in the southeast, this one was once open to climbing but was closed down by the property owner. Now the SCC is going to be the property owner. It's taken the SCC a LONG time and a lot of hard work to get in a position to purchase this area, and until all the details are finalized, they don't want anything to happen (like climbers sneaking in) to screw up the deal. Once it is finalized, it won't be a secret anymore. So just be patient.

Before you make judgments about how the SCC or CCC manage the crags they own and open up to everyone, spend some time learning about the history of climbing down here. If not for the efforts of these two groups, several amazing climbing destinations -- the greatest examples being Laurel Knob in NC and Jamestown in AL -- would be totally off limits. Sorry you don't like the idea of regulating new route development, but it sure beats the hell out of not being able to climb at these places at all.

ACJ wrote:
The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want.
Then you're not going to like it here. As Jay said, most climbable rock in the south is on private property.

JL

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm not trying to pass judgement on them, but the truth is it's hard for an outsider to show up and understand the way things are done. Again thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of new stuff to do both at locations that are already well known and at other lesser known but not illegal crags.


Partner j_ung


Nov 22, 2008, 6:15 AM
Post #24 of 32 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
saxfiend wrote:
ACJ wrote:
Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?
The point you're missing, which is totally understandable, is that this crag is secret due to its history. Like a number of other crags on private property in the southeast, this one was once open to climbing but was closed down by the property owner. Now the SCC is going to be the property owner. It's taken the SCC a LONG time and a lot of hard work to get in a position to purchase this area, and until all the details are finalized, they don't want anything to happen (like climbers sneaking in) to screw up the deal. Once it is finalized, it won't be a secret anymore. So just be patient.

Before you make judgments about how the SCC or CCC manage the crags they own and open up to everyone, spend some time learning about the history of climbing down here. If not for the efforts of these two groups, several amazing climbing destinations -- the greatest examples being Laurel Knob in NC and Jamestown in AL -- would be totally off limits. Sorry you don't like the idea of regulating new route development, but it sure beats the hell out of not being able to climb at these places at all.

ACJ wrote:
The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want.
Then you're not going to like it here. As Jay said, most climbable rock in the south is on private property.

JL

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm not trying to pass judgement on them, but the truth is it's hard for an outsider to show up and understand the way things are done. Again thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of new stuff to do both at locations that are already well known and at other lesser known but not illegal crags.

No worries. And for what it's worth, I also don't think the new route process for LK is really optimal.


montgomerywick


Nov 23, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #25 of 32 (8307 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2002
Posts: 60

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since I drafted the purchase contract, I can tell you there is no ulterior motive for the secrecy.

We have a signed purchase contract but have not closed on the contract and will not for a few more months and the landowners do not want anyone on the property until we close...but since we need to raise money, we have to publicize the purchase to raise the cash...obvious dilemma, but we are counting on the climbing community to do the right thing and stay off the property until we close. The issue about dangling the purchase for awhile and then disclosing the area was not some snap judgment, but a decision based on considerable debate of the above issues with a mix of some marketing to raise money. Nothing wrong with that...

What are your other reasons for your apparent disdain of the SCC? We have secured access to 3 areas in TAG region, permanently mind you (Boat Rock, Jamestown, Kings Bluff), and have leased another (Castle Rock), are in the process of securing this area and constantly working on other areas...We don't expect everyone to get our "big point" (open & secure more climbing opportunities) but we will soldier on none the less...

to those that see the "big point," please help with this purchase, as no matter how small the contribution, as it all adds up.

ciao
gus fontenot
SCC Bd Member & Chief Legal Gimp


ACJ


Nov 24, 2008, 4:58 AM
Post #26 of 32 (1679 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 162

Re: [montgomerywick] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

montgomerywick wrote:
What are your other reasons for your apparent disdain of the SCC?

Well most of it has been cleared up. Someone else pointed out the different actions of the SCC and CCC which helped. Other than that it's simply that I haven't been here long and don't want to jump right in to anything until I see what's going on. I'm active in national organizations and I assume you receive help from the Access Fund which I am a part of. Once I see the results and check out the crags that have been secured I am more likely to jump on board and chip in what little cash I have.


saxfiend


Nov 24, 2008, 9:31 AM
Post #27 of 32 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 1208

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
montgomerywick wrote:
What are your other reasons for your apparent disdain of the SCC?

Well most of it has been cleared up. Someone else pointed out the different actions of the SCC and CCC which helped. Other than that it's simply that I haven't been here long and don't want to jump right in to anything until I see what's going on. I'm active in national organizations and I assume you receive help from the Access Fund which I am a part of. Once I see the results and check out the crags that have been secured I am more likely to jump on board and chip in what little cash I have.
In all fairness to ACJ, I don't believe this was a matter of "disdain of the SCC," but rather a lack of knowledge of how things are in our region (compared to the untamed west that he/she is more familiar with). I get the feeling ACJ is more aware now of the access issues we have to deal with and the role of the SCC.

ACJ -- when you get a chance, check out some of these areas:

Jamestown (purchased by SCC)
Laurel Knob (purchased by CCC)
Sunset Park (re-opened through SCC efforts)
King's Bluff (donated to SCC)
Castle Rock (re-opened under lease to SCC)
Boat Rock (purchased by SCC)

JL


saxfiend


Dec 8, 2008, 8:06 PM
Post #28 of 32 (1585 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 1208

Re: [saxfiend] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

UPDATE: The cat's out of the bag. The crag being opened is Yellow Bluff, near Huntsville. Back in the day, climbers from as far as NY came down here to hit the first 5.13 in Alabama (Rainbow Warrior). Unfortunately the publicity got it closed down, but it's back on the radar as of early next year when the SCC closes on the purchase.

If you haven't already contributed, please consider adding some funds to the kitty. The SCC has 77% of the purchase price already donated or pledged, and it would be great to put this over the top before the February closing!

JL


bradmc


Dec 9, 2008, 3:37 PM
Post #29 of 32 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2003
Posts: 78

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks Saxfiend and Gus for spelling out our efforts.. i did not think the "secret crag x" thing would get distorted.. but that's why i get for thinking..huh?.

the point of the secrecy was first to hold off on disclosing the location while we get the contract secured and our ducks in a row to purchase the crag.

the crag is surrounded by private land - and the crag has been closed for almost 20 years.

Access to this area is very shaky - until we get a contract and raise the funds and close on the deal.

we almost had our last deal - Jamestown - get completely blown up as climbers all ran out to climb and check out the crag - and a next door neighbor (on private land) broke out his shotgun and blasted it over climbers that were on the cliff below (no lie).

the sheriff was called and it put the SCC in a bad spot as we had not closed on the deal.

lesson learned - dont let the name out of the crag (surrounded by private land) too early on a crag your trying to buy - as you may have hiccups.

so you can see that we are really trying to ease into this process and not blow up the crag with an access miscue.

as I think many of you can imagine - it takes a ton of behind the scenes work with legal, survey, contracts, negotiations and finally - fundraising to get the crag secure.

we only have 90 days to raise $34k - which we can easily do - but wanted a head start as we try to secure the crag.

I hope that you all will understand.

the crag has been disclosed - it is Yellow Bluff. You can read more about the area here:

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=468&mode=&order=0&thold=0

thanks to everyone that supports the SCC and trust us enough to donate money to a crag whose name was kept a secret (for 2 weeks).

please feel free to email me at mbmcleod@mindspring.com if you have any questions.


(This post was edited by bradmc on Dec 9, 2008, 3:46 PM)


bradmc


Dec 12, 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #30 of 32 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2003
Posts: 78

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

we are almostttttt there.....

to date we have raised $31,902 in donations and pledges towards our goal of $34,660.

We only need $2,758 to finish our purchase of Yellow Bluff.

91% completed towards our goal.

If you want to donate you can click online at:
http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=membership

come on and help us get this crag purchased and preserved in a land trust (with open climbing access) forever.

if we own it - they cant take it away.


Partner j_ung


Dec 14, 2008, 9:45 AM
Post #31 of 32 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Article posted.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...e_SCC_s_Cap_940.html

I'll try to keep a running tab under it of how much remains to be raised. Almost there!


saxfiend


Dec 15, 2008, 4:26 PM
Post #32 of 32 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 1208

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We're over the top! The SCC has raised more than $35,000 to cover the purchase of Yellow Bluff. With the fund raising complete, there's a possibility that the February contract closing date will be moved up.

If you haven't already contributed, it's still not too late. In addition to the purchase cost, the SCC will need funds to get Yellow Bluff ready for the climbing public (trail construction, bolts for anchors, etc.). So please chip in!

Stay tuned for the sequel: Secret Crag X II, coming soon to a theatre near you!

JL


Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook