Forums: Climbing Partners: Canada:
make me a climbing hit list!(crag recomendations)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

arjunrattan

Mar 26, 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2079 views)
Shortcut

make me a climbing hit list!(crag recomendations)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi everyone,

well the weather seems to be getting warmer and I just cant wait to hit the outdoors. this is gonna be my first outdoor climbing season in canada. im really looking forward to it.

ok since i havent been here too long...i was wondering if you could recomend some good bouldering / sport climbing crags /boulders. So far i have the niagra glenn and metcalfe rock on my list, since metcalfe rock is like right by my U of T outing club cabin. any others i should add to the list???

thanks in advance,
peace
arjun

p.s. i live in toronto and am a member at rock oasis.

geezergecko

Mar 26, 2005, 1:34 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Re: make me a climbing hit list!(crag recomendations) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some good sport routes at Nemo if you can crank 5.10+. Old Baldy also has sport but you need a permit to climb there ($25 and it's basically a liability waiver thing - see climbers.org for more info). Lionshead also has sport climbing or so I've heard (I've yet to climb there). A few easy short sport routes (5.7 - 5.8) are at Bottleglass and there is one at Metcalfe. Devil's Glen has some mystery sport routes.

ecocliffchick

Mar 28, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For your first season outdoors, I highly recommend going with some experienced outdoor climbers who can help you make the transition from inside to out as there are many more considerations besides a crag list when you head outside.

For your first season try Metcalf (top-rope set-ups are easy and guiding is permitted), Rattlesnake or Buffalo also have topropes and are close. Mount Nemo is excellent for sport climbing if you are solid climbing 5.10's or 11's. Kelso has excellent trad/top rope opportunities too. There are two guidebooks you should own - The Escarpment, and A Sport Climbers Guide to Ontario Limestone (or something like that). They are both available at MEC. You will need these.

Though the climbing at Lion's Head is spectacular, it is remote and challenging (rappel in, hanging belays). Be sure you have experienced climbers with you who know the area if you want to climb there.

arjunrattan

Mar 29, 2005, 3:21 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For your first season outdoors, I highly recommend going with some experienced outdoor climbers who can help you make the transition from inside to out as there are many more considerations besides a crag list when you head outside.

For your first season try Metcalf (top-rope set-ups are easy and guiding is permitted), Rattlesnake or Buffalo also have topropes and are close. Mount Nemo is excellent for sport climbing if you are solid climbing 5.10's or 11's. Kelso has excellent trad/top rope opportunities too. There are two guidebooks you should own - The Escarpment, and A Sport Climbers Guide to Ontario Limestone (or something like that). They are both available at MEC. You will need these.

Though the climbing at Lion's Head is spectacular, it is remote and challenging (rappel in, hanging belays). Be sure you have experienced climbers with you who know the area if you want to climb there.

thanks alot! :D though i meant my first outdoor season in canada..i have been outdoors before..though yea its always great having experienced climbers around to recomend climbs rather than hunt through the guidbook..

ohh btw..have i climbed with you? thats what rc.com says...

peace

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook