Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
AAAAAND another question, shoes this time.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jomal

Apr 7, 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

AAAAAND another question, shoes this time.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you can't tell I'm upgrading my first set of gear. So I'm looking for a bit more high-performance shoe than my spire's, and was drawn to the katanas on several recommendations. Unfortunately I have a VERY narrow foot, and there seems to be a problem that my toes simply curl up (really quite comfortably) in the toebox because of its higher volume. I was considering simply getting the miura's instead hoping that I can crank down on my toes with the laces to keep them down in the toes.

Any thoughts? Does my thinking even make sense?

cintune

Apr 8, 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Re: AAAAAND another question, shoes this time. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Mythos are specifically designed for a "flat-toe" fit. So are the Cliffs, but they're not as slipper-like as what you say you want. Can't beat the price, though.

princely

Apr 8, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if you're a guy or a gal, but it doens't really matter. The women's Katana's apparently well nice on a flat, narrow foot. You might wanna give them a try.

vegastradguy

Apr 8, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a shoe that fits snugly and doesnt curl your toes. model should not matter if your footwork is good enough....

drubt

Apr 8, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm on my second pair of miuras and I love em. the toe box is perfect i think. the toes bend a little that need to bend a little and my big toe is very much comfortable and it gives a great point on the end to stand on some small stuff. I really like em right after they've been resoled with stealth C4 in fact i'm going to use em right now...

jomal

Apr 8, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps a little clarification would help. My feet are 12.5-13, so women's shoes won't work, though that is an excellent idea.

And the toe-curling is not the problem per se, but rather the manner in which it happens. Because the toe box is larger in the katanas than my toes, it leaves some extra material which bunches up along with my toes, even in very small shoes. It isn't a problem so much in the rest of my foot, as the velcro helps me crank the shoes tight, but my toes naturall knuckle up in all that extra room below the velcro, which makes it hard to pull on small edges and pockets. My thought was that the miuras might solve this, on the assumption that they are a similar shoe, but with laces, which would allow me to tighten the shoe around my toes, and push my toes down into the toe of the shoe...

So I guess my question is twofold:
1) Does this even make sense?
2) Would Miura's be a possible lace-up substitute for the Katanas?

cintune

Apr 8, 2005, 1:35 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another possible solution would be to use two short sets of laces, one from the toes up to the halfway point and another from there up to the top. Although it looks a weird, it does give a more precise fit. Check out this site http://www.fieggen.com/.../segmentedlacing.htm for detailed instructions on this and a bunch of other ways to lace up shoes for various specialized preferences.

vegastradguy

Apr 8, 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an even better solution would be to go try on a bunch of different shoes and buy the one that fits your foot.

if your toes are curling and the shoe doesnt fit properly on the foot, then guess what? you dont get to wear that shoe.

sadly, those of us with unusual feet dont have the luxury of wearing just any shoe....we have to patiently try on many different shoes until we find one that works.

i cant wear asym shoes, myself, so i'm left with shoes like the 5.10 Hueco or the La Sportiva Mythos....

jomal

Apr 8, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Done, but thanks for the recommendation.

Unfortunately I can't try on the Miura's, or the anasazi lace-ups, or the evolv bandits, or any other higher end lace-ups (except the mythos, which seem to be ubiquitous). So I'm hoping if I liked the katanas (especially with some cord cranked down on my toes to keep 'em down) that the miuras will fit similarly.

cogmog

Apr 9, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mythos hands down! I have big jacked feet. No other shoe is as comfortable, or multi-versed....cracks. face..whatever! Jsut buy em. Oh yeah they stretch more than any other shoe out there to fit people with jacked feet!

People will argue with this, but I feel there rubber is superior to 5.10!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook