RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

nick05

Jun 17, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a partner in NYC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heya,

I am new to NY and a beginner climber. I have done about 12-15 indoor climbs, and now looking to continue this in NY. I am hoping to hook up either with a beginner such as myself, or anyone more experienced who is willing to teach. I am a very quick learner and fully respect the importance of safety in this sport. I live in the East Village, so I was looking to start at one of the local GYMs such as the one on 59th Street, but fully open to suggestions. I am not sure what else to write here, so feel free to ask me questions or PM me.

cheers

Nick

Partner taino

Jun 17, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking for a partner in NYC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Nick,

You've made a good start, posting here. I would suggest you continue by going to the 59th Street gym and making in-person contacts there; it's generally a fairly amiable place, although not everyone is friendly. You can generally find a belay partner by asking around.

Cheers,

Tai

mistertyler

Jun 17, 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CCC (59th St.) is a good option to start with, because it's cheap (~$200/year, from what I remember) and it's a good place to meet other climbers. Just walk up to someone who appears to be partner-less and offer to give them a belay. If you don't know how to belay, you can pay for a lesson.

Good luck!

Partner taino

Jun 17, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(~$200/year, from what I remember)

Slacker. Shows what you know. As of July 1: $14 for a day pass, $250 for a yearly membership.

Go back to Patagonia. We're not jealous. :wink: :P

T

mistertyler

Jun 17, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slacker. Shows what you know. As of July 1: $14 for a day pass, $250 for a yearly membership.
T

Oh well -- I guess $250 is still way cheaper than the other options!

[And I never made it to Patagonia....]

popia23

Jun 17, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all, I'm new and less than a beginner, and would like to know where in new york city people go to climb outdoors...to go and meet them, and where can i buy climbing shoes there.?????thank you...

popia23

Jun 17, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all, I'm new and less than a beginner, and would like to know where in new york city people go to climb outdoors...to go and meet them, and where can i buy climbing shoes there.?????thank you...

and other thing...what is the problem with Patagonia.....i work there....so let me know........( just asking, don't be angry)

Partner taino

Jun 17, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hi Popia,

There is no "outdoor, roped climbing" in NYC. There is outdoor bouldering - and it's very good - in Central Park. Look on ClimbNYC.com for locations.

For outdoor, roped climbing most people in this area go up to the Gunks - 1.5-2 hours North, in New Paltz. However, there are very few bolted anchors up there; you generally have to build your own, with your own gear. Not the easiest or safest thing for a beginner, usually.

So...

Most beginners around here start indoors, at one of the 4 main climbing gyms in this area. They include:

City Climbers Club

Manhattan Plaza Health Club

Chelsea Piers Rec Center

Extra Vertical

You can try out climbing to see if it's something you'd like to keep doing, and not have to put out a huge amount of money to do it. You can rent passable gear from each gym for use during your session.

You can, of course, contact EMS, Alpine Endeavors, Diamond Sports, etc and pay a guide to take you outside - but that gets real expensive, real fast.

If you want to buy your own shoes, there are two places here in Manhattan where you can look: Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) on 61st & Broadway, or Tent & Trails downtown near City Hall. Of the two, EMS has a much better selection - and that's not saying much. The best place in this area is Rock & Snow - up in New Paltz.

Good luck, and welcome to the fold. :)

T

Partner taino

Jun 17, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and other thing...what is the problem with Patagonia.....i work there....so let me know........( just asking, don't be angry)

Patagonia as the location at the south end of South America, not the store. :)

T

popia23

Jun 17, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patagonia as the location at the south end of South America, not the store.

yes i know, i work there in Patagonia located in south America in a national park, named Torres Del Paine,Chile........( this check spelling thing works, is great, so i can learn improve my English he h he)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook