RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

wendella

Jun 21, 2005, 4:11 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Southwest CT Indoor Climbing Partner Wanted
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hiya,

I'm relatively new to rock climbing (have climbed about 8 times at indoor gyms and tried bouldering outdoors a few times). Am looking for a partner in my area to top-rope with me at local gyms once a week or so. Go Vertical in Stamford is closest to me, but I would be happy to go to other locations in the tri-state area as well.

If anyone, novice to more experienced, prefers an hour or two of rock climbing to the treadmill and needs a partner, please shoot me an email.

:)

iman74

Jun 27, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Re: Southwest CT Indoor Climbing Partner Wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am interested. I just took a class this past Saturday, and the next time I go I need to get tested. Here is the link to the place: http://www.primeclimb.com

Once I get past the test, and I find a partner (which could be you) I am interested in doing this one Saturday or Sunday every week or every other week. With family and other responsibilities it's hard to say. I have the knots down, and I know I am reliable for the guy I was partnered with was not light, and he fell off the wall about 20 feet high and the only drop he felt was that of the rope expanding. The reason I am looking for a partner for the one and only time I did this (during the class) I saw the entire class making errors in places they should not have. I am anything but an expert on this, but I know from the class alone you need complete control of the rope. As long as you take the slack as it comes, and stay in lock position while being anchored, then all is good. I did not see that with my partner or the couple that was there. So I want a partner that I can rely on doing that, and can take tips from me where I see needs improvement and vice-versa. Also, I want to have a trust with someone, so I know if I take that plunge, they are there to keep me from falling. Lastly, I am a former (20 plus years) resident of Stamford so I am very familiar with the city and where the Vertical place is. However, I am now a northern CT resident, so I am willing to go to Stamford but I expect my partner is also will to switch off to my place too especially for my test in Waterbury which is so easy to get to: exit 26 of route 8 take a right second light make a right, it's in there.

wendella

Jun 27, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM'd ya! :)

iman74

Jun 28, 2005, 1:48 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After speaking to my wife, she would feel better if my partner was a male. So all those CT residents, me and Wendella are still looking for partners.

wendella

Jun 28, 2005, 2:02 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA!! No Prob. Good luck.

:)

iman74

Jun 28, 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, if it's during the week then I have to stick with Prime Climb in Waterbury for whoever is interested.

dudemanbu

Jun 29, 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been at this for around 4 years.. i'm up for indoor and outdoor climbing. I live near waterbury (watertown). Shoot me a PM

mburke225

Jun 30, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wendella,
Summer is a tough time to try to get any of the experienced people into the gym. Post up if your willing to get outside a few times over the summer or fall. Happy climbing.

wendella

Jun 30, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi mburke225,

The great outdoors is, well, great. I would like to try climbing outside at *some* point, but I need to have more of a clue what I'm doing first.

Definitely prefer the fall weather to this stuff we're in now.. Also, I'd be up for just hanging out on outdoor climbs and watching. (don't know if that's allowed). Will follow-up after I have some callouses..

:) Wendy

iman74

Jun 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, if I were to do outdoor climbing I would prefer if at all possible climb side by side with someone watching and learning how to install the gear necessary. Question: Some of this gear, after you are done climbing, I take it you leave it on/in the wall? I do not see how you can take it out.

Partner taino

Jun 30, 2005, 1:17 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, if I were to do outdoor climbing I would prefer if at all possible climb side by side with someone watching and learning how to install the gear necessary. Question: Some of this gear, after you are done climbing, I take it you leave it on/in the wall? I do not see how you can take it out.

If you want to do that, take a lesson on gear placement from an accredited guide service; you can find several listed on Gunks.com by going to the home page and clicking the link for "Guides" on the upper right.

To answer your question...

The simplistic explanation: the leader climbs up above protection, placing gear when/if they're able to protect themselves if they fall. When they reach a belay stance, they bring up the second (belayer). The second (you) takes the gear out of the rock. If you leave something behind, you pay to replace it.

T

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook