RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

swesterhus

Jun 26, 2005, 8:35 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Mont Blanc Massif camping regulations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi!

Me and a friend are going to Chamonix for two weeks this summer climbing, and I was wondering what the general view is there for camping in the mountains?
I've heard that you are not allowed to set up a tent during daylight (!?)
So is it is advisable to pack the tent and hide it somewhere or is it usual to leave it standing whilst doing a long climb considering any regulations? Just thinking that it's a real hassle to start packing the tent at 2 o'clock at night...

Any expiriences with the french mountain etiquette? :lol:

Thanks!

chip

Jul 5, 2005, 2:41 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mont Blanc Massif camping regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How's your French?

http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/ETE/REGLCamp.php

Rough translation:
1. The old laws have been replaced with the following:
2. Camping outside of authorised zones within the commune is forbidden.
3. Exception: bivvying at altitude is allowed, during hours of darkness.
4. The police might tell you off if you don't obey.
5. This law is sponsored by lots of important people.

Partner yannbuse

Jul 13, 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive been aware of the camping laws on the massif, but after living there for 2 years, i never figured out the explicit 'camping zones' at altitude.

For example, by the refuge de l'aigle (well traffiqued refuge on the Gouter Route, for the Mt Blanc) around the ridge, one would think there is almost a whole camping community. I found that at this campsite, people leave their tents when climbing, and would stay there for an extended period (more than 2 days)

However, if you take the 3 summits route to the Mt Blanc (which starts off from l'auigille du midi) and are camping, i have noticed that campsites are erected on the plan du midi. I always assumed that area wasn't designated for camping. In any case, its rare that i see people in those tents for more than 2 nights, and even more rarely i see them leave the tent behind while their climbing... maybe they hid it.

Your best bet to get the explicit rules is to go the La Companie des Guides, which is next to the mayor's office and accross from the chruch. Plus most of them are billingual.

In my experience, ive never used a tent up their, only bivvies (had a roof and sometime heating in the valley). At night i set up wherever the hell i wanted to and never had an issue (i also wasnt making myself extremely obvious). I did, however meet a scottish climbing team on l'aiguille de L'M, that were telling me that they set up a little bivouac shelter, where they left their stuff their. I met them on their 7th day up there, and they didnt have any problems. But they were also telling me how they wouldn't use much light, so that people wouldnt notice, and things of that nature.

Hope this helped. So yeah guides office and then talk to some climbers and find out what their scheming.

Yann

swesterhus

Jul 15, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the (a bit late) replies! :D My french is s h i t...

So... In short:

We went, we camped, and we were ok... Basically the Col du Midi just got more and more crowded and no-one seemed to worry so we didn't eighter...
Met loads of people who had stayed there for a week doing all kinds off routes etc. whilst just leaving their tents erected.

Climb safe.

Stian

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook