RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

hellclimber

Sep 12, 2005, 8:17 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Indianapolis -> Red River Gorge partner needed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hi.

Going to Indianapolis Sept 18. until Oct 02. Is there any outdoor climbing in the vicinity? Easy sport or trad? Single pitch or multi pitch?

And then for the really important question: Anyone willing to climb with a visiting Norwegian like myself? Will be renting a car so it is possible to do a short roadtrip Sept 23. - Sept 25. Sept. 25 until I leave the country again I will be available for climbing/other activities after 5 pm.

A little bit about myself: Trad and sport leader. Have climbed 4 years. Consider myself reasonably safe. It has been a slow climbing summer so I would prefer easier routes. 5.low-5.10 range.

Ørjan

[edited because I was a bit unclear as to what grades I am comfortable climbing]

jeffers_mz

Sep 12, 2005, 9:02 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Re: Indianapolis - partner and rock needed [In reply to]
Report this Post

Couple of climbing gyms in Indy, Climb Time on the NE side and Climb Time Towers on the NW side. There's some driveway rocks glued to a couple of highway bridge supports, but if I tell you where that is the climbers here will kill me.

There's a place an hour south called Unlikely Wall, but I don't have directions to that.

The tweo best options are the Red River Gorge, in Kentucky, and the Jackson Falls/ Draper's Bluff areas over in Southern Illinois.

Lots more to look at down in the Red, some 1500 routes spread over 3 counties, probably double the vertical relief compared to southern Illinois.

I'm just a 5.8 hacker, and you'd get pretty tired of hauling me up anything you consider fun, but if you're interested in the Red, you can check out a whole lot of people climbing closer to your grade here:

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/

hellclimber

Sep 12, 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

As I mentioned 5.11 would be hangdog and not very good style. Sport climbing I feel comfortable in the 5.9-5.10 range and wouldn't mind climbing lower grades. I will probably avoid gyms unless a really pretty girl insists on bringing me and chances of that are about the same as a pig flying by my window so I'll probably not set my foot in a gym.

How long is the drive to Red River Gorge? Any nice easy long trad routes?

If you are interested in hooking up for some nice 5.8 sport or easier trad routes let me know.

[edited because I apparently can't spell very well]

easton

Sep 12, 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

From Indy, the Red is about 4 and a half hours. So IL would be about the same. I would definitely reccomend the Red, more variety and usually lots of people willing to partner up. Check out Redriverclimbing.com for route beta and directions.

Stop by Miguel's Pizza to camp and meet people. Off the Slade exit, turn right and go about 4 miles, it'll be on your left.

As for Unlikely Wall, don't bother. It would be an hour and a half drive for 4-5 short climbs that are all pretty much the same.

acacongua

Sep 12, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
I will probably avoid gyms unless a really pretty girl insists on bringing me and chances of that are about the same as a pig flying by my window so I'll probably not set my foot in a gym.

[edited because I apparently can't spell very well]

Are you a really cute guy? I don't like the gyms in Indy, but the one in Bloomington - Hoosier Heights - is awesome. I prefer to go there even though it's a 50 mile drive.

The Red is your best bet for close rock and there will be plenty of people to find at Miguels. The Red is most famous for it's sport (overhanging sandstone) and that will keep you busy if you want to save space by leaving your cams at home.

hellclimber

Sep 12, 2005, 2:21 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Not nearly pretentious enough to call myself cute. If I have to give a description I'll stick with short, sarcastic and full of irony.

Seems like the Red is my best bet then. Now I just need to find someone foolish enough to partner up with a complete stranger for a weekend. Any takers? I'll cover gas. You bring the rope, tent and directions. Leave from Indianapolis friday afternoon and return sunday afternoon.

And what kind of super gym is worth driving 50 miles for :?

Partner phaedrus

Sep 12, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to US - MidWest.

hellclimber

Sep 12, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thought I would give this post just one bumb and hope that someone bites. So "bump".

sumdog

Sep 15, 2005, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Re: Indianapolis -> Red River Gorge partner needed [In reply to]
Report this Post

go to the red! that weekend will be crowded so finding a partner won't be a problem. i'll be at muir valley that weekend for trail days. music, climbing, trail work and good food and people.

hellclimber

Sep 17, 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Sigh. Drowned in work and didn't find the time to sign up for the website suggested by easton and acacongua, or do any more research on where to find good climbs etc. Thus, I probably won't make it to Red River Gorge next weekend. It is a bit of a drive and I don't want to wander around working things out and realize that when you figured out where to find a partner, where to find good climbing in the area and where to sleep etc it is time to go back to work. Thanks for all the good advice anyway. Hope for the opportunity to climb in the US sometime. Bringing shoes and harness just in case I change my mind.

To people who read this and actually are committed enough to make it to Red River Gorge that weekend: Enjoy :D

acacongua

Sep 19, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Goofy, there is still time to sign up and ask. You'll be here for the big party too!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook