RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

sonyhome

Sep 19, 2005, 7:27 AM
Post #1 of 1 (905 views)
Shortcut

A plug for Montrail climbing shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got to deal with their great customer support (Kip) for my shoes because the sole unglued badly after 6 month & I got replacement.
Very nice service so I'm returning the favor...

Now about the shoe:

I bought montrail Cruiser Delam shoes, and they are great for crack climbing AND face/slabs/gym... Like Anassazi, they edge great, smear good, and unlike them i can climb cracks and walk-off climbs. They lace-up easilly and easy also to remove. The laces are well protected from crack abrasion. The griptonite rubber is as good imho as 5-10 C4 stealth. The distinctive gray/burgundy color scheme works.

When I go outdoors, I don't need to bring my old 5.10 huecos and my 5.10 anassazi velcros anymore. I just bring this pair that does it all. And it's comfortable for multi-pitch. It is great-awesome-love it!

The shoe has some minor quirks though:

It has velcro straps to tighten the back of the foot, nice but the bucke can get in the way when jamming.

Second, the extern-side of the shoe's rand doesn't go high enough to protect the leather from jamming abrasion and wears off. \

Third, the tip is not as thin as mythos (?) shoes, which people swear by for that extra camming in the thin cracks, but I doubt those make you feel at home on slabs/face.

Fourth: It seems they'll discontinue that shoe for newer models. If Montrail is to succeed, they have to develop a couple classic shoes and not change them, to get cult following. It sucks to shop for climbing shoes. Fitting is so hard!

Recap:

This is my opinion of those shoes after 6 months of all around climbing with them: gym roped climbs, gym bouldering (a little), outdoors climbing on crags, multi-pitch, walkoffs, sandstone and granit... Those shoes work so well all around I stopped using them indoors to save them for outside.
And montrail proved to me they are a good company.

Tallking of which, they sponsored "return2sender" the movie, and it's really cool. The IC section is awesome.

Cheers!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook