RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

Partner crgwhe

Sep 21, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #1 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Take a Noob to Climb Day 10/15
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last Take a Noob to Climb Day at Mineral Wells turned out pretty good with 6 people showing up to climb in 100 degree weather so I thought I/we would do it again. Some wanted to give sport climbing a try so I figured, lets do it.
During October 14, 15 and 16th, I and some of the others from the first Take a Noob to Climb Day, will be at Paradise on the Brazos just north of the Possum Kingdom Reservoir near Graham Texas. This is basically a sport climbing area with a few top rope anchor points, bouldering locations and places to trad climb and is privately owned and operated as a for-profit Outdoor Sports-Recreation Ranch.
The Cretaceous limestone routes range from 5.6 to 5.12 and V0 to V4, all under 50 feet but most around the 35 feet range. Not as high as MWSP but just as fun. For more information on POB, follow the link below.

http://www.paradiseonthebrazos.com/home.html

I will be arriving there on Friday the 14th around 6 or 7PM to set up camp before the place gets crowded and will leave sometime after lunch on Sunday the 16th. Any one is welcome to climb with us but you will need a few items such as your own personal climbing gear (harness, shoes, locking carabineer, chalk, and belay device) and if you have any other climbing gear (rope, draws, etc) that would be helpful also. I’ll have a large water container but you will need something to carry water with you (most important) and something to snack on or a lunch for Saturday if you wish.
Being POB is such a drive from the Dallas/Ft.Worth area, anyone is welcome to stay in our camp. Again, you will need your personal camping equipment. There is a few stipulations if you are camping in my group though. First of all, no alcohol. I don’t drink and I hate drunks. My pre-teen children will also be camping/climbing with us and some of our climbers are under age. No booze and definitely no drugs! Also, anyone staying near myself or my boys had better be of good moral character and mind your F*&)ing language. Climbhighandhard; you are like, borderline dude so you better not piss me off before now and then.
I’ll prepare all the meals (except lunch on Saturday) but I need to know who will be showing up to camp so I can purchase enough food. Be forewarned though, I was known throughout Texas and Oklahoma as the only Scoutmaster who could burn cold cereal. If anyone wants to volunteer to prepare a meal or entree/dessert, post it here. I will have a camp kitchen at the site.
Once again I’m soliciting help from experienced climbers, especially those familiar with sport climbing and the POB area. Last Take a Noob to Climb Day, I was the only one experienced in setting up anchor points for TR. We climbed 7 different routes which required a lot of time to set up and move for one person.
The intent of this climb is the same as the last. To get potential climbers together (especially those having the desire to climb harder but lacking partners thereby limiting experience), making contacts for partners, and have fun climbing. This is not a club. There are no member fees, forms to fill out or mandatory meetings to attend. Anyone is welcome so you no longer have an excuse………...Get out and climb.

teak

Sep 21, 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #2 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Re: Take a Noob to Climb Day 10/15 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless something crazy comes up I'll be there and will be glad to help cook. I have a camper van is there any place to hook up to electric?

Partner crgwhe

Sep 22, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #3 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No electric hookup and it might be a problem driving a camper-van through the dirt road across the fields to reach the camping areas. Then again, I'm not really familiar with the ground clearance on a camper van.

sport_climbertx

Sep 23, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #4 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill be there, if you get your van stuck we can use my truck to pull it out, shouldn't be a problem

teak

Sep 23, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #5 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for that! It's a VW westy with lots of clearance but no umph. I sure hope it cools off by mid October 8^)

rabbit1

Sep 23, 2005, 2:02 AM
Post #6 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last weekend there was a big rattler in the middle of the trail just below the last bolder of the downclimb at the point.

Partner crgwhe

Sep 24, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #7 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not the first time I heard about rattlers at POB. Same area also. I wonder if there is a den near that downclimb point.

rabbit1

Sep 24, 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #8 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 10 feet from the boulders you can turn left and get down a small rock face. There are some foot holds on it. This little shortcut keeps you from having to jump off that last bolder. That spot on the point downclimb kinda freaks me out now.

Partner crgwhe

Sep 26, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #9 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From rockclimbing.com and the Texas Mountaineers, I have 10 people coming so far. I was thinking about having a sport climbing day at the Hugely Fitness Center on Sunday October the 9th from 11:00 to whenever. The problem is, those who indicated they wanted to climb at POB live quite a distance from the South Ft.Worth area.
So would anyone be interested in getting some sport climbing practice done in a gym before the trip to POB? Let me know and I'll make it happen.

phreephall

Sep 30, 2005, 6:16 PM
Post #10 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi everyone :-) I'm new to these forums. I live in Austin,TX and am looking forward to take up rock climbing. I'm starting with the climbing wall at the university gym, to get some basic training and technique. From the description you provided it sounds like it'd be a great place for me to try out actual outdoor climbing. My main question is, should I drive all the way north (POB is close to Dallas, isn't it?) to attend this event (which is not a problem for me at all), or would it be a better idea to look for something similar in my area? Thanks,

Anar

Partner crgwhe

Oct 1, 2005, 1:33 AM
Post #11 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It might be a better idea to look for something closer to your area. This particular Take a Noob to Climb Day is more for those who have experience with out door top rope but would like to give sport climbing a try. You will need your own basic climbing gear excluding rope and draws which are being provided. POB is quite a drive from Austin and about 3 hours west north west from Dallas
Being a new climber, finding a mentor who is willing to show you the ropes as it were, can be difficult. Thus the reason I started this noob climbing thing. I would like to see this spread across the country. So anyone in Austin willing to do a Take a Noob to Climb Day, go for it!
You might want to check out Texas Climbers at the below link. I believe they are based more in your area than up here.
http://www.texasclimbers.com/
Post something there about looking for a group to climb with and I'm sure you will get a response. I'll cut and paste your question and my reply there under...lets say....Noob Climbers? We will see how many replies it receives.

chernabog

Oct 8, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #12 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to attend the gathering. PM me if you need any additiional info, etc. I would most likely be there Sat/Sun.

Partner crgwhe

Oct 10, 2005, 2:11 AM
Post #13 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So as of today, the count is 12 climbers consisting of 7 adults and 5 teens. I think that's correct. Any one else desiring to join us needs to post here or PM me before Thursday the 13th. I'm purchasing food for the camp on that day and need to know how much to buy. And I'll have plenty of stuff (ham, turkey, bread, etc.) for Saturday lunch if you don't want to pack your own.
In addition to climbing gear, I'm also bringing mountain bikes and if I have room, my Meade Telestar DS-200 reflecting telescope. POB is a great viewing location for celestial objects due to it's distance from city lights. I hope the weather turns out good.
I haven't made the meal menus yet. Need to do that. Anyone have any food allergies I need to be aware of?

Partner crgwhe

Oct 13, 2005, 1:20 AM
Post #14 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So as of this minute, we have 10 going. Karma broke his leg so he canceled and Teak has the flue so he and his two children won’t be attending. My 13 year old has a case of poison oak or sumac but he should be cleared up by Friday.
For everyone else attending; If you haven't already, go to the Paradise on the Brazos link at the top of this thread for directions. The place will be on your left and is fairly easy to miss as it angles back. On the opposite side of the street is a rock quarry or something.
Stop at the house and fill out the waver forms and drop the money in the box. Go through the small fence gate on your right up to the porch. There you will see the forms and stuff.
There is only one way to the camp ground/climbing area which is by following a dirt road through a pasture. I’m going to try and get the largest camping site which is the one straight ahead past the hump. You will see what I mean by “hump”. I will be driving a grey 2002 Tahoe with the words “Craig’s Spa Cleaning” on the rear window and doors. If you don’t immediately see my vehicle, drive a little farther down to the right and I’ll be there somewhere. If no one is at the camp site when you arrive, call the number on the back of my Tahoe. If there is no cell service, I’ll leave a radio on the driver seat tuned to channel 4.
Meal menu;
Friday supper; chili dogs, chips, easy to make stuff. Smores for desert.
Saturday Breakfast; I’m thinking pancakes, bacon, milk, and such. If you are there for breakfast, be fore warned, I will burn the pancakes.
Saturday Lunch; Cold cuts. Bread, ham, turkey, cheese, mayo, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, chips, cookies and whatever else I come up with.
Saturday Supper: Trail burgers which consist of hamburger meat, cabbage, grated cheese, onions, barbeque sauce, and there are a few other items I’m forgetting at the moment. For desert, I’ll make a 3 layer Dutch oven cobbler.
Sunday Breakfast: Breakfast Burritos which are made from scrambled eggs and sausage rolled in a flour tortilla. Bacon, oranges and milk.
Sunday Lunch if anyone is still around: We will eat whatever is left over. If nothing is left then Jack in the Box it is.
If you want my cell number incase you get lost, PM me and I’ll send it.
Did I leave any thing out?

teak

Oct 18, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #15 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C'mon fellas no trip report? I sure regret not making it so give me the skinny!

Partner crgwhe

Oct 18, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the trip report delay. My fingers have been a bit sore from all the climbing.
Like the “Take a Noob to Climb Days” of the past, this one was also a success. With 8 participants and great climbing weather, one couldn’t have asked for a better weekend spent outdoors. Arriving Friday evening at Paradise on the Brazos to find the place empty, we had our pick of camping spots. With a near full moon and clear skies, myself, both my children, and one of their friends were up till about 1:00 in the morning playing in the fields without flash lights. Cindi from the Texas Mountaineers crawled into her tent early to get some sleep which was probably the smart thing to do in anticipation of waking with the sun. But the night time weather was too good to simply sleep through. The moon lit pastures were just calling to be played on.
The following morning, sport-climbertx and chernabog from RC.com showed up as did Diane, also with the Texas Mountaineers. We spent Saturday sport climbing and TRing sport routes. Again under great weather conditions. We climbed, or at least attempted, about 12 different routes. We all fell a few times but only had two hard falls. The first was Cindi as she was getting ready to rappel off a cliff to get to the first climb of the day. Neither she nor I knew exactly how it happened, but as she was scooting off the cliff, there she went flying. Luckily Sport-climbertx had her on fireman's belay and kept her from decking. I had just switched my camera to high speed mode when Diane took a 10 foot lead fall as she was attempting to clip the last bolt at the top of Larry in the Stockyard area. Got it all on film! Those who participated should receive an e-mail from me to photobucket.com with a pass word to view the photos. Download them, print them, send the link and password to friends, whatever you want. There your pictures.
Only my children and their friend got any mountain biking done. I would have loved to participate but was usually too busy climbing or preparing meals for the group. And can you believe I only burned four pancakes!
The only complaint was the damn coyotes and oil rigs making noise while we were trying to sleep. When one coyote started howling, 360 degrees of coyotes would join in. And some of those oil pumps...well...just needed oiling.
The property owner dogs stayed with us in camp and chased off anything which tried to steal out food. I thought that was a good thing until I woke up at about 1:30 Saturday morning to the sound of paper crumpling. I naturally thought an opossum had gotten into the food container. When I looked out the tent, I saw the culprit as one of the dogs with his head shoved in a Doritos bag. And sure enough, the following morning, here comes the dog. With his tail between his legs and Doritos dust all over his head he knew he had been bad.
With great weather, great company, great food, (only four burnt pancakes...just four) and a great place to spend the weekend climbing, I’d say we will definitely be back!
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=62976
Friday night sunset over the Brazos River at POB

newbclimbr

Oct 19, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #17 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like i missed out on a great time. I will not allow my work to schedule me so i miss another take a noob to climb day. they will die first. no seriously, sounds like u guys had a blast, wish i had been there

Partner crgwhe

Oct 20, 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #18 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey newbclimbr! Was wondering if you were going to show up or not. I guess not. I doubt I'll do another "Take a Noob to Climb Day" for the next few months. Next month I'm going with the Texas Mountaineers climbing and canoeing and December is usually too cold. Especially for those not experienced with climbing outdoors. It's not as much fun when you can't feel your fingers.
But don't wait for me. Through hosting these events I have found numerous climbers in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that are looking for someone to climb with. RC.com is the best forum I have found for those climbers to get together.

teak

Oct 20, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #19 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooooh nice pic Craig! Sounds like you guys had fun. Hope to see you at the Texas Mountaineers Thanksgiving climb.

plodzilla

Oct 21, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #20 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can you email anytime you need help with a NOOB DAY
i guide out of MW and climb at pob
i am so sorry that i was not there cuz i visit both a lot
again write if i can help
dfwclimbing@yahoo.com

lofstromc

Oct 21, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #21 of 21 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
Have you guys seen my steamroller? Last time I saw it, it was in the tent with the blow-up doll?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook