RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

hosgh

Sep 26, 2005, 2:15 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Western State College of Colorado
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How good is it academically, how is the quality of the campus, and most importantly how good is the climbing?

petsfed

Sep 26, 2005, 2:29 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Re: Western State College of Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How good is it academically, how is the quality of the campus, and most importantly how good is the climbing?

What, you mean Wasted State? Very simply put, if you don't climb, ski, or do something else in the woods, the only thing to do is drugs. Its about as good a liberal arts school as you can hope for in Colorado, but seriously, Gunnison is an awful lot like Alaska. If you ain't drinkin', you ain't been there long.

motherteresa

Sep 26, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My daughter graduated in May from high school in Illinois and was accepted to Western State. When we mentioned that to friends in Colorado they made us aware that the school is not the best academic place to go basically it is a glorified community college. Our friends told us that Mesa State (in Grand Junction) was a much better place for academics. We went to Gunnison to check it out, takes forever to drive there, and were not impressed with the student tour guide nor the climbing. They did have a fantastic cross country team tho. We also looked at CU in Boulder, too big even tho it is beautiful, so she ended up going to Colorado School of Mines in Golden. Very cool town, climbing at clear creek is 10 minutes away, eldo and boulder are 1/2 hour. Mines is hard to get into tho but the salaries for engineers are pretty good. Also not sure if this is a good thing or not but Mines is 77% male and 23% female.
The other thing to think of is possibly Colorado Mountain College (community college) in Glenwood Springs-close to Rifle- and then transfer somewhere for the last 2 years. Good Luck.

arrow

Sep 26, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The wasted state joke is waaaaaaaaaaay played out. The school is nice and continues to improve. Like any other college or university the education you receive and what you do with it is going to be up to you! I know a harvard law school graduate that works at a food manufacturing plant!
There's plenty of climbing there. There's also mountain biking, backpacking, skiing/boarding, kayaking, flyfishing etc. etc. I regret not going there when I had the chance but now I own a vacation home there and go every chance I get.

lidosis

Sep 26, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah not that bad a place and the education you get from Western is what you make of it. I am a graduate of the school and am currently finishing up my MBA at University of Denver. Basically it is the same with any school you can get caught up with the parties and let your academics slip or you can stick to it and do something with your life. If you are actually worried about where you end up in life try not being a REC major of art. I would suggest business or something else.

Yes the climbing is great, there is plenty of bouldering, sport and trad around the valley, and if you need something bigger the black canyon is just down the road. Crested Butte is just north for skiing, and we would regularly take day trips to Ourray for ice climbing.

Yes as mentioned before there is a lot of drinking as most the student body sees nothing better to do, than that and drugs. As long as you want to climb there will still be some individuals close to sober to do it with you.

jderekforrester

Sep 26, 2005, 5:14 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the climbing around Western State goes, it is pretty hard to beat the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. As a senior chemistry major at Colorado College, I would have to agree with the other posts regarding Western State's academic reputation. There are many other schools in colorado that are equally close to really great climbing that have better reputations. CU, CC, DU and C School of Mines come to mind. Just my two cents though, many really good climbers have come out of Western State. However, if you are interested in strong academic school, there are other ones in colorado to choose from.

the_epic_king

Sep 26, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't know about accidemics, but know a few teachers there. Campus is nice. Has Black canyon of the guuison not to far away which has some sick climbing, just make sure u go with some one who know the area extreemly well. also know that there are some students there who climb.

jderekforrester

Sep 26, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also to respond to petsfed, I hate to break it to you but Colorado College is ranked 27th in the nation in Liberal Arts schools. A bit higher than Western State. We also have some pretty sick climbing, albeit not the Black.

ecjohnson

Sep 26, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing to remember about all the other schools is that they are really expensive. If you are looking for cheaper schools, then Western or Fort Lewis are the way to go. Fort Lewis actually has a really good business school. It has the same accredidation as Harvard Business I think. Our Geology school is one of the best in the country. Other Gelolgy programs in the country bring their upper division classes here to study. Our Excercise Science program is also really strong. We have a lot of professors here who have a lot of real world experience, and a lot of them taught at bigger schools for a while, and then wanted to move somewhere in the mountains but still teach.

And then there's the climbing... In town there is East Animas, X-Rock, Golf Wall, and Turtle Lake for bouldering... there are some local spots also. Then there is the vast array of alpine climbing in the San Juans. There are awesome crags in Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, Telluride... Ophir Wall anyone? All of those are two or so hour drives. Indian Creek is 2 hours away, Moab is 2.5. Redrocks, and Zion are both a long day drive away. I think it's hard to beat the location here.

I can't wait for all of you at CC, DU, CU, etc to flame me for going to Fort Loser, but I don't care. I and many of us here, think it's a good school, and you really can't beat the location if you like the outdoors.

petsfed

Sep 27, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also to respond to petsfed, I hate to break it to you but Colorado College is ranked 27th in the nation in Liberal Arts schools. A bit higher than Western State. We also have some pretty sick climbing, albeit not the Black.

I don't recall Colorado College being a public school. Western is public, so is Mesa State, UNC, and a great many others. I guess I didn't make that clear, I was referring to public schools. Of couse thinking about it, and the reputation, Western doesn't really stand next to UNC. So there you have it. *shrugs*

jderekforrester

Sep 27, 2005, 2:03 AM
Post #11 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to all, I didn't mean to flame anyone. As far as location goes all of the school's in colorado are pretty kick ass. Also, as everyone is aware of, education is what you make of it, you can get a great education at any of the schools in colorado. I just am from CC, so I need to spout a little.

Joe

sparky

Sep 27, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecjohnson knows what's going on. Fort Lewis is a better school (costs about the same too) with more climbing close by. San Juans are sick, Indian Creek is 2 hours away, Moab 2 1/2, Zion is 7 hours, local crags are good fun and in the winter there is some of the best ice climbing around. And durango isn't crazy cold like gunnison.

arrow

Sep 27, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I guess gunny is cold in the winter but you do have to have the crazy cold for good skiing! -20F isn't really that cold though :lol:

the_epic_king

Sep 28, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #14 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont forget Mesa State in Grand Junction, it is also 2hours from everywhere, telluride, ouray, moab, rifle, not to mention is has the national monument 10 minutes away. the monument has great sport, trad, aid, plus it is the best for desert towers.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook