RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerock

Jan 9, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Pyramiding for bouldering?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When bouldering do you want to use the same 8-4-2-1 setup to get to Vx as routes or is there another possibly wider based pyramid for it? it just seems that bouldering requires more experiance at a grade to be soild and i don't know

fluxus

Jan 16, 2006, 2:46 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pyramiding for bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've certainly discussed this issue with other coaches and I think there may be something of a consensus that bouldering skills do benefit from developing a broader base.

For me, in my personal training I have taken to increasing my bouldering level by ONLY working at the base level, that is I don't do problems that take more than a few tries ( 1- 4 usually) but I consistently increase the number of problems that I can do in a single workout at that level. By the time I can do 10 - 14 problems at a certain level I am ready to move to the next level. The nice thing about working this was is that the problems at the next level don't really feel all that hard and I will get a few on-sights. Working this way quickly develops skills and fitness. More so, I think, than trying more and more difficult problems without this kind of attention to base building.

This methodology translates well into power endurance training for route climbing, which is my personal emphasis. For the person who is invested in bouldering I would think that spending 3-4 weeks only building the base and then allowing one's self to work the upper limit for 2 - 3 weeks and then going back to base building would be beneficial.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook