RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

stuck

Jan 16, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Come alongs- why not?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have heard many times that come alongs are not good options for tightening a slackline because their weight on the line is an interference. Can't I just avoid this problem by removing the come-along after tightening?

I've also heard the argument that with a come-along it's easy to exert dangerous forces on the line because you can't feel how tight you're pulling. It seems to me that as long as you pay attention and feel the line as you tighten it, this shouldn't be a problem?

A come-along seems cheap, simple, effective, and safe.

Am I missing something?

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 16, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Come alongs- why not? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Because you have to carry the come-along anywhere you want to set up, and we can't always set up right near the car. (Come-along is pretty heavy and akward to carry for much distance). Pulleys with brake(under 1 lbs), come along in my garage( 13.5 lbs)
The advantage pulleys with a brake has over the others, is by changing the length of your pulley rope, you can increase the amount of slack you can pull up at any time, by using a longer rope (as long as you have enough multipliers to pull it tight). Come-alongs, ratchets, and even the slackjack, are all LIMITED in the amount of webbing slack that they can pull in. And this becomes quite important for longer lines.
Sure you could soft-point and remove the big come-along, or you could use a lighter system like pulleys or a slackjack, and just leave it in for low lines. With these you can change the tension whenever you want, once you come-along and then softpoint, your stuck with that specific tension. So make sure your webbing is fully stretched out, if it slacks up any due to being new, you'll be retensioning, which sound really slow to do, your way.
Also, softpointing a lowline adds a good bit of time to your setup and removal time(unless you cut the line down). Most people only softpoint lowlines if they are leaving them up for a while, and therefore want to remove the tightening system.

One other thing about a come-along, when you softpoint it or leave it in (and the weight of a come-along will ruin a slackline's feel, unless you use a-frames to remove it from the "walkable" part of the line), it is a much longer tensioning device, even when fully "reeled in", whereas with pulley or a slackjack, you can get the tightening system length dowm to under a foot, of the line your walking on. Most come-alongs i have seen
are 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, so even if you softpoint you get 2 extra feet of softpointing, that could have been walkable line.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 16, 2006, 6:31 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everybody has their reasons and excuses, but for me it's not pure. It's like drilling a bolt next to a nice nut placement. It just ain't right in my mind, but plenty of people do it. It's your call.

madrock

Jan 16, 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tried a come along a couple years ago. The problem I had was that you could not feel how much tensions was on the line or control it. The thing could break the system and line before you knew what was happening. Too much mechanical advantage in my mind. Its also heavy, bounces, ugly, lots of sharp edges. Mostly don't like them cause non of the cool kids are using them.

Joe

veganboyjosh

Jan 16, 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't use a come along for the same reason i don't use ratchets or (dedicated) pulleys.

i don't need one. i'm able to set up all the lines i want using biners as pulleys. if i'm pulling as tight as i can, and it's not tightening any more, then i'll add another 3:1 system. if i run out of biners, it's time i learned how to walk the damn thing as tight as it is.

i don't wanna learn on a line that i can't set up by myself. and with sticking to biners and webbing only, i can take the thing backpacking with me if i want. a pulley system or ratchet device or come along, not so much.

uncleslackline

Jan 16, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use a come-along if you want!
A ratchet will work!
In Moab we used the winch on Buddha's Jeep!
Hell, loop your bumper, and Hit It!
It's really not important how you are tightening your slackline!
What is important is that you want to slackline so bad that you are willing to entertain these methods to get tight!
You all have talked this point to death, Yet no one seems to be changing their opinons!
This is the way it breaks down!
Until recently every one used some sort of parts in the line type, mechanical advatage.
Once you look at these systems, you don't need to be a scientist to figure out, it is all about resistance!
You can continue to add another part in your system, or a multiplier as Vagenboy suggests. But all those carabiners continue to create more resistance!
Less resistance, earsier the pull!
There are only two ways to lessen the resistance of a pulley. Bearings or, better bearings, and, a larger diameter sheave or wheel!
No matter what system you are using now, when you get serious about slackin, YOU WILL COVET, DESIRE, LUST a SET OF PULLEYS!!!
And Slackline Brothers will be here when you come around!

Until then, you have my blessing to use your come-a-long!
Unc

veganboyjosh

Jan 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No matter what system you are using now, when you get serious about slackin, YOU WILL COVET, DESIRE, LUST a SET OF PULLEYS!!!
And Slackline Brothers will be here when you come around!

woulda been funnier, uncle, if you had said:

In reply to:
...and slackline bros will be here when you come along.

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 16, 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AMEN.

Way to be the bigger man Unc.

PS I still use your pulleys, don't go anywhere without em!!

Partner coldclimb

Jan 17, 2006, 1:01 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm too broke to buy rope to go through my pulleys. :lol: God bless Scott and his awesome generosity. He's helped me a ton with getting gear, as have Shawn and Ric. Gotta love our community, even if we do argue about ratchets. :wink: :lol: You guys are awesome!

jeremy11

Jan 17, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally I agree with coldclimb that rachets and comealongs seem like an ethical shortcut, but hey, I'd certainly slackline with a comealong than sit around inside getting bored, slow, and out of shape!!
I have broken two 5mm prussik loops with a come along retensioning a foot cable (3/8 in aircraft cable - rated 20,000 lbs) on a low ropes course. I think they broke since I just looped them straight onto the comealong hook so as the cord stretched it slid along the hook which was a bit rough and under all that tension just broke. they were several years old and retired from their climbing days... so do yourself a favor and be careful what you put across those hooks.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook