RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

likethegoddess

Aug 30, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1819 views)
Shortcut

San Francisco Buildering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any ideas? I know that old armory on Mission Street. I also heard it's fairly well patrolled and busted upon. But that's old news. Any more recent info?

joebuzz

Aug 30, 2002, 7:56 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1819 views)
Shortcut

San Francisco Buildering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm from the city, and have found lots of great buildering downtown. Now I'm not sure how legal any of it is, so this should all be taken with a grain of salt.
Most of the old brick buildings downtown have splitter hand cracks between them. There was an empty lot on (I think) 3rd street across the street from a well known camera/ photography store. The S.W. corner in the back of the lot had a perfect 5.9 hand crack between the buildings. An old friend and I would play on it for hours and not get hasseled. Back when I started aid climbing, I even placed gear in it.
Once you start to look, all sorts of possibilites will open up. Once again, this is all at your own risk,F.Y.I.O.
Have Fun & Be Careful
Buzz
P.S. thispost will prob. be edited due to content.

dsafanda

Aug 30, 2002, 8:24 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not buildering but there is a school park in Cole Valley that has a bunch of holds glued on a long cement wall. It's sort of fun once or twice. Ofcoarse, this was 5 years ago so who kows what it's like now.

Across the Bay, UC Berkley has great buildering. The are some strict rules regarding no climbing shoes or chalk but there are some problems that are way fun!! It's hard. Chris McNamara totally sandbagged me showing me a traverse problem. I felt a little better after he told me Tommy Caldwell got shut down by the crux.

tradclmbr

Sep 9, 2002, 12:36 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go up to twin peaks and bolder under the observation platform. Easy stuff, but endless traverses and of course not so bad views. Also buidlering is fun, but check out glen park for bouldering and even Beaver street for fun top ropes and a somewhat scary 5.9 crack lead (that rock is as slick as it looks!!)

dhamma

Oct 9, 2002, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should consider crossing the bridge to builder at UC Berkeley. It is the west coast mecca for buildering -- people have been climbing there since the 60's and there are loads of classic problems.

Go find locals at Indian Rock who will know the beta for many classics, including "The Doe Library Traverse," probably the most famouse buildering problem in the country.

Watch the West Coast Pimp video for beta as well.

Best of all, the cops don't seem to mind it, just don't climb w/ shoes or chalk. We usually climb there at night; it is well lit.

Suggestions:
All the arete and face problems at the Doe
Doe Library Traverse
Wimp Detector

John Sherman once wrote an article about buildering on campus (in Climbing Mag?) -- if you can dredge it up, it will provide loads of other problems.

Have fun

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook