RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

2dreamers

Jul 20, 2006, 6:36 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

rumney guide book
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what is best guide book for rumney for first time visit?
any local rock shop that may have it?
best place to camp?
will be there first week of Aug for sport and trad
any suggestions for multi-pitch trad routes to 5.9?
if you have a used book i could buy let me know
better yet if you'd like to join my girlfriend and i, your more than welcome we like threesomes or more (for climbing only) 5.10 sport & 5.9 trad

Partner taino

Jul 20, 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Re: rumney guide book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what is best guide book for rumney for first time visit?
any local rock shop that may have it?
best place to camp?
will be there first week of Aug for sport and trad
any suggestions for multi-pitch trad routes to 5.9?
if you have a used book i could buy let me know
better yet if you'd like to join my girlfriend and i, your more than welcome we like threesomes or more (for climbing only) 5.10 sport & 5.9 trad

The best guide book for Rumney - and, I think, the ONLY guide book - is "A Rock Climber's Guide to Rumney", by Ward Smith.

Camp? Damfino. There are some ideas in the guidebook.

There is NO TRAD CLIMBING AT RUMNEY. Also, there is only one multipitch route - a 5.2, two-pitch, low-angle slab route called "Clippety Doo-Dah".

T

sirlancelot

Jul 20, 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately your info is inaccurate Taino. There is a some trad climbing to be had at rumney. I personally would not bring my rack there for the 1 trad route mixed in between every 15 sport routes. And there are mutlipitch climbs at Rumney(main wall). So far my favorite climb at Rumney was the 2 pitch Rock Du Jour. I recommend the second pitch 5.9+ direct route which traverses left on a steep overhanging angle. Absolutely awesome exposure and perfect picture spot if you remember to bring your camera.

For camping the cheapest is right across the road behind the big open field, on privately ownened property. You could also spend 25 or more to stay at a campsite on 25, which has full bath facilities.

Get yourself the guidebook before you go.

Partner taino

Jul 20, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unfortunately your info is inaccurate Taino. There is a some trad climbing to be had at rumney. I personally would not bring my rack there for the 1 trad route mixed in between every 15 sport routes. And there are mutlipitch climbs at Rumney(main wall). So far my favorite climb at Rumney was the 2 pitch Rock Du Jour. I recommend the second pitch 5.9+ direct route which traverses left on a steep overhanging angle. Absolutely awesome exposure and perfect picture spot if you remember to bring your camera.

For camping the cheapest is right across the road behind the big open field, on privately ownened property. You could also spend 25 or more to stay at a campsite on 25, which has full bath facilities.

Get yourself the guidebook before you go.

I stand corrected.

T

jakedatc

Jul 20, 2006, 1:24 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what Sir said.. and to add there are a few bolted multipitch sport routes that are pretty high quality.

Metamorphasis 5.9 on main cliff (2 lines to the right of Armed and dangerous 10b) not in the book

Tropicana 11a orange crush

a few bolted link ups or trad multi's on Main cliff

if you climb .13 Predator has a .11 something first pitch to a bolted belay

if you want to practice you can take some of the routes from Lower new wave up to Upper new wave instead of the trail. easiest would be Sixth Sense .6 to Air and pleasant danger .8+.

probably a few others but check it out in the book.. it's pretty easy to find

nsintros

Jul 20, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should know the main cliff may still be closed for nesting. I know its usually closed until august, but maybe into august too.

The book is just called "Rumney" by Ward Smith. Most gear stores will have the book. The book is pretty outdated. There are a ton of routes that aren't in it, which can be kind of confusing sometimes to find the route you are looking for.

Clip a Dee Doo Dah is fun route to finish the day on and chill at the top. It is really easy though. As others have said its almost not really worth it to bring the rack. A lot of the trad routes are R/X. A lot of the ones that are not R/X aren't very good, there are a few good decent ones. I go to the Gunks or the Daks for trad.

I have heard there is a house like 1/4mi from the parking lot that lets you camp in their back yard. I think its mentioned in the book.

2dreamers

Jul 21, 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you all for the input to my trip to rumney
what is trad like at other NH areas? suggestions?
with 12 days available it's all a road trip anyway, so a couple days sport then i have to have my trad
just looking for alternatives to the red for a change, live in MI so anything in-between here and rumney is worth a look. Main guide i use is "rock and road atlas"

napoleon_in_rags

Jul 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad in NH? Cannon, Cathedral, Franconia Notch - lots to pick from.

Between MI and NH? You could swing south and hit WV, stop in New York at the Gunks or the Daks on the way, a lot of options if you have enough time.

mcgivney_nh

Jul 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when are you headed up??

I'm always looking for a partner if you need one.

-Sean

olderic

Jul 21, 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to add another data point. Holderness School Corner at Rumney is one of the nicest TRAD 5.8's anywhere.

Partner jammer

Jul 21, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumney has trad climbing at Crows Nest, Hinterlands, Prudential and Northwest Territories also. The trouble is the hike up there ... take your time and don't burn out. Besides Rumney, there is Franconia Notch area which covers Cannon, Echo Cliff, Artist Bluff, Eagle Cliff, Profile Cliff, Hounds Hump Ridge etc, which is just up 93. If you head over to North Conway area, there is Cathedral, Whitehorse and Humphrey's Ledge, all close together. You'll also find a lot to climbing on the Kang. Hwy, if you like Alpine style climbing.

As for camping, check out the routes database for Rumney. I've placed as many camping area as I could find there.

Drop me a PM when you are heading up this way. I may be able to join you for a few days.

Alan

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook