RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

kevanrobitaille

Sep 15, 2006, 4:36 AM
Post #1 of 2 (569 views)
Shortcut

Editing problem
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, i edit a RAW photo in Picture Project, per usual. I go to resize it in Irfan View, per usual, but the photo is in its original form, not the edited form. So, i figure, whatever, ill save as , as a jpeg and then just re-edit the jpeg. The jpeg, and later the tiff, can't be edited in Picture Project for some reason. The controlls are locked out, IE, colour, sharpening, brightness. What gives?

pico23

Sep 15, 2006, 4:57 AM
Post #2 of 2 (569 views)
Shortcut

Re: Editing problem [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, i edit a RAW photo in Picture Project, per usual. I go to resize it in Irfan View, per usual, but the photo is in its original form, not the edited form. So, i figure, whatever, ill save as , as a jpeg and then just re-edit the jpeg. The jpeg, and later the tiff, can't be edited in Picture Project for some reason. The controlls are locked out, IE, colour, sharpening, brightness. What gives?

Raw photos aren't actually edited. Basically the changes are saved in a folder specific to the program you edited them on. WHen you open the file it recalls those settings. If you delete that folder none of your edits ever existed. backing up the folder is a good idea :)

Your workflow confuses the hell out of me. I know you don't like to buy software but if your submitting your work to magazines and stock agenies perhaps $100 in software is a great investment. It seems like you are doing a lot of work to avoid paying for something that would be inherently useful to you. Take a look at Paintshop Pro, it's like $60 and should do everything you need. Photo Impact worked well for me too for a long time.

Hey, I think cars should be free. But my choice is not have a car and not hike and climb on the weekends or buy a car and enjoy my free time.

Back on topic:

1. adjust the raw

2. save as tiff

3. do final levels/saturation adjustments in your editor (not your raw editor which only adjust raw).

Then depending on your output (print or web)

Web:

4. convert to 8bits/sRGB

5. resize

6. sharpen

7. save as jpeg

Print:

4. keep as 12 bit/adobe RGB (assuming you are printing at home)

5. crop

6. sharpen

7. print

Final step BACK EVERYTHING UP IN TWO PLACES....once on a hardrive for expediency and once on CD ROM-DVD ROM to have a hard(er) copy.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook