RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner taino

Nov 29, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #1 of 5 (444 views)
Shortcut

Ice in Delaware Water Gap?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone confirm the existence of climbable, reliable, decent ice in or near the Delaware Water Gap? I've never heard of any, but I haven't exactly been looking.

Thanks in advance.

T

jimdavis

Nov 29, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #2 of 5 (441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] Ice in Delaware Water Gap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i know a guy died climbing it in like 1998 or something...so the must be something to climb.

i remember hearing the guy ran out 80' above a screw....but I dunno how good the ice is usually.

i might be down in that area soon, so I'd like to know myself.

Jim

kmc

Nov 29, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #3 of 5 (419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimdavis] Ice in Delaware Water Gap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is ice that comes in there. That being said, Ive never climbed ice there. If you can find a copy of the Mike Steel guidebook, (old book, not sure if it still in print) there is a section in the back that covers the ice routes there.
Have been rockclimbing on warmer days in the winter and remember seing a lot of water flowing on the PA side, but it would have taken a long cold snap to freeze up. I beleive the book does say some of the routes are fairly reliable however, coming in most years.
Kintersville isnt to far from there and seems to get a lot more traffic and attention than DWG.
If you want to explore the area when/if it gets cold, and if you need a partner, send me a message. Or if your looking to head up to the Catskills or Dacks, im up for that too.

Partner taino

Nov 29, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #4 of 5 (411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] Ice in Delaware Water Gap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kmc wrote:
"...when/if it gets cold..."

*sigh*

Therein lies the rub.

I'm more for the Cats or Daks, myself, but it's always good to have options. As soon as there's a prolonged cold snap, let's get moving. I can second WI4, lead WI2 - easy WI3, and have my own necessary gear as well as double ropes and a handful of screws. TRing is also good.

T

kmc

Nov 29, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #5 of 5 (388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] Ice in Delaware Water Gap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This weekend is supposed to bring some cold temps, and they should stick around next week. I have only a handful of screws as well, looking to pick up more soon, and have only led about 10 pitches, nothing scary. I mostly TR, but would like to do more leading this season.
If you would like a partner, I am coming fron NJ and would be willing to meet you at the Dacks, Catskills, or some place sooner woud be great so that we could share rides.

~Kevin

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook