RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

blondgecko

Dec 9, 2006, 8:20 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3339 views)
Shortcut

Selling to outdoor companies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I've managed to build up a reasonable collection of (I think) really nice images which I think would do well as advertising images/banners for various outdoor stores. Having never sold any pictures before, I just wanted to ask from anyone who's been there before:

1) How would I go about approaching them?
2) What sort of ballpark price ranges would one expect for different applications?
3) D'you think the attached image would be good enough? Original res is 9050x2049, making it big enough for a pretty darn big banner.

Storm over the Tasman

guangzhou

Dec 9, 2006, 9:17 AM
Post #2 of 20 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Selling to outdoor companies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The easiest way is to contact the advertising or art director about your images. Some are very open to new photogrpahers, so are not.

eliclimbs

Dec 9, 2006, 5:01 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Additionally, you may want to sell to manufacturers and/ or magazines. Many of these companies have photo submission policies and price lists on their web sites.

deepplaymedia

Dec 10, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #4 of 20 (3227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi blondegecko, ahhh there's SO much to learn... welcome to the beginning of what will be a very steep (but fun!) curve :) best of luck to you!

assuming you have a bunch of great shots (its hard, but be honest with yourself about the quality of the photos), then you're about halfway ready to start selling!

1)
Shoot the company an email to say who you are and that you have some photos you think they might be interested in. If you have a webfolio of something to direct them to this is good to. They most likely will do 1 of 3 things-
1/not respond. dont worry! they are busy people. if you dont have any response within a couple weeks follow up with a short followup note, but dont be pushy
2/ repsond with 'hi there, we're sorry we dont have any requirement for photos currently. (they MAY add 'but we'll keep your info on file in case something comes up)
3/ they respond with 'nice work, can you send me some previews of your work/this is the address to send stuff to etc

Don't send them hi-res stuff until you have already got terms&conditions, usage rates, licenses etc sorted and IN WRITING. Until then you should only be supplying low res & watermarked images. otherwise you leave yourself open to getting ripped off, and getting ripped off blows...
also, DONT send the same image to more than one potential client at the same time. thats a good way to get blacklisted.

2) prices for image licensing vary ENOURMOUSLY. i would strongly recommend buying the Cradoc fotoquote software. it seems expensive but it is essential. companies will try to rip you off all the time & if you are not armed with the tools & knowledge to quote WHAT THE USAGE IS WORTH and to be confident in your negotiations of rates & T/C, you WILL get ripped off. and once a company has ripped you off its incredibly difficult to demand reasonable prices in the future.
also check out places like EP (editorial photographers group, google it), TOPA (professional outdoor photographers group, moderated by Harrison Shull and frequented by every climbing & outdoor photographer that I can think of) and Wheel&wax (adventure sports photographer forums)- the educational value of these sites in invaluable and will save you a lot of time & pain & money

3) might need some slight colour correction but this would work well something like a paddy pallin catalogue etc.

definately be hitting up those websites i mentioned
and again, good luck!
cheers, Josh Caple

deepplaymedia

Dec 10, 2006, 3:19 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deepplaymedia] Selling to outdoor companies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i should add, as eli mentioned, some of the bigger companies publish set T&C and usage rates (black diamond for eg)-
usually these deals are fine (though they tend to come in under the fotoquote prices) but still make sure you read the fine print very carefully before you agree to anything- terms like 'transfer of copyright', ''exclusivity', 'use in assosiated promotion' (< nice way of saying free ads) should get your attention.
NEVER EVER SELL YOUR PHOTOS. THE COPYRIGHT IS ALWAYS YOURS. What you're selling is a license to use that image in a specific place, for a specific time, for a specific price. Remember that.

if you develop a working relationship with the co. & you have ace photos that they really want you're in a pretty good position to negotiate certain terms & rate increases etc.

btw im assuming you're talking commercial/advertising use here, editorial use is a somewhat different game

blondgecko

Dec 10, 2006, 8:37 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks - that's fantastically helpful!

guangzhou

Dec 10, 2006, 8:55 AM
Post #7 of 20 (3178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another way to get an idea of how much to sell your photos for is to check out Alamy's website.

You can do a search for similar photos and mark the type of rights you are interested in. When the site give you a price for the photo you found, you can use it for your own photo.

A quick and easy trick.

Another idea is to submit you photos to a stock agentcy. These guys will market you photo. You can also submit thos photos on you own.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Dec 10, 2006, 8:59 AM)

deepplaymedia

Dec 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #8 of 20 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Selling to outdoor companies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im not a fan of stock agencies, not a fan at all...

guangzhou

Dec 10, 2006, 9:27 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand that some people don't like stock agentcies, but I see them as one more tool for the bussiness side of photogrpahy.

Of course, I don't only sell to magazine, newspapers, and companies. I submit some of my files has Rights Managed to stock. About 10 a week accepted. I also submit enough to get 10 a week accepted to the micros. I make good money with them. beofre sending these to images to stock, I nomrally market them to magaizne or companies.

I also use my photos to sell articles. Article with picture are my bigest money maker lately. Once I got past the inial fear of submiting, the images and articles atrted to sell quite nicely.

Looking at you posted photos, you need to grow you selection some. A few of you climbing images are nice, maybe not from a climbers point of view, but from an image point of view.

What I mean by that is that what climbers, cllimber's magzine, and climbing compabie like in images is often not the same as what other, better paying clients want.

I also recomend that you write a few articles and submit those to various publication with you photos. Once yuo get a few things in print, marlketing you images becomes much easier.

In case you want to join a Micro, here is a link. I know 25 cents a down load isn't much, but it adds up quickly. My deposit from the micros in December is $900.00. Can't complain about that.

Feel free to email or private message me if you have some questions.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Dec 10, 2006, 9:28 PM)

deepplaymedia

Dec 11, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #10 of 20 (3104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also recomend that you write a few articles and submit those to various publication with you photos. Once yuo get a few things in print, marlketing you images becomes much easier.
good point, if you can write you will find it a lot easier to sell photos & make more money out of the sale as well

im not gonna go into it here, maybe ill start another thread with a detailed outline of my views on stock sites.

guangzhou

Dec 11, 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #11 of 20 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deepplaymedia wrote:
In reply to:
im not gonna go into it here, maybe ill start another thread with a detailed outline of my views on stock sites.

I would like to see that and look forward to seeing it.

how is your magzine going.

Emmanuel

deepplaymedia

Dec 11, 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well ill make sure i get around to it then :)

mags goin great guns- sent this issue to this printers about a week ago, it looks pretty schmick & will be in stores on Jan 1st.
already started working on the easter07 issue!
a couple days ago i was bored & put up a myspace page for the mag :D check it out www.myspace.com/cruxmag
we are like, soooo cool now

bigfatrock

Dec 11, 2006, 3:22 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend FotoQuote http://www.fotoquote.com/ to price your images. Usually very accurate accept when it comes to web usage.

When submitting editorial simply call upon or email the photo editor of the mag. I know this info is posted on most all the climbing mag sites.

Selling corporate is MUCH more difficult. Still trying to figure this one out, but if you want to sell lots of images an agency is your best route. They are frequented by people seeking out advertising images. Individuals are not generally sought out unless they have a big reputation.

I also recommend http://www.photoshelter.com/ to market images on your own. All sales made go directly to you. It is basically an online stock agency for the photographer. You only pay a monthly fee, clients go directly to you.

Best of luck. I have been shooting weedings and sports for the past three-four years and am looking to break into marketing outdoor images myself.

Oh, and ALWAYS keep your copyright.

(This post was edited by bigfatrock on Dec 11, 2006, 3:24 PM)

deepplaymedia

Dec 12, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Selling to outdoor companies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is it just me, or is it a bit echoey in here? Tongue

blondgecko

Dec 13, 2006, 7:01 AM
Post #15 of 20 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I just sent off a set of pics (resized to 400x300 or thereabouts and signed) to Mountain Designs (their jackets feature prominently in the images). I guess I'll see what happens soon enough...

blondgecko

Dec 15, 2006, 5:33 AM
Post #16 of 20 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the topic of stock agencies, can anyone tell me what they think of these guys?

Basically, rather than selling your stock images for commission, they charge a flat fee of A$320 a year to list your photos in their database, and give a suggested price to potential buyers, who then contact the photographer directly (ie. they take no part in the actual sale).

Seems like a pretty good deal to me...

deepplaymedia

Dec 15, 2006, 7:02 AM
Post #17 of 20 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yah I have no problem with rights-managed stock, thats basically just a subscrpition to a networking tool
i havent had a chance yet to write that thread but ill get around to it as soon as i can

blondgecko

Dec 21, 2006, 8:15 AM
Post #18 of 20 (2819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, a few evenings of solid work, and my collection is now all up on OzImages. I have to get out more and expand it, but it's a start...

bigfatrock

Dec 27, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #19 of 20 (2750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So does Oz take a percentage of your sale? What kind of clients do they pull in? If they are charging you a percentage you may want to look at PhotoShelter.com, they only charge a monthly fee and don't take any cut of your sales.

blondgecko

Dec 31, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Selling to outdoor companies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
So does Oz take a percentage of your sale? What kind of clients do they pull in? If they are charging you a percentage you may want to look at PhotoShelter.com, they only charge a monthly fee and don't take any cut of your sales.

They don't take any cut from sales, which I think is great - they just charge their annual fee.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook