RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

suadeo

Feb 10, 2007, 1:51 PM
Post #1 of 8 (441 views)
Shortcut

A quick question about shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I am a beginner climber and I picked up my first pair of shoes last night. I did my research on the boards and found a thread from about a month ago that suggested the 5.10 Moccasym. So I picked up a pair last night. When I was doing research on them, people suggest to buy one shoe size smaller then your walking shoe. I talked to people at my climbing gym and they suggested the same thing. My question is, I can wear them for about 45 minutes to an hour before they become painful/toes start numbing (this seems like a bad thing, but its very slight numbing). Do I just need to break them in more or did I buy to small? I know they will stretch, but I am not sure how much. But overall, I love the shoes.

Thanks!

(This post was edited by suadeo on Feb 10, 2007, 1:59 PM)

overlord

Feb 10, 2007, 2:46 PM
Post #2 of 8 (433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suadeo] A quick question about shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, if you can wear them for 45mins without taking them off, then theyre definitely not too small. theyre maybe actually a bit large, but thats good for a beginner because painfull shoes can make learning proper footwork a chore.

and if you do wear them for 45mins straight... take them off between routes and when resting. that way your toes fill recover and they will probably stink a bit less.

vulcan

Feb 12, 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #3 of 8 (367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When i get a new pair of shoes i sleep in them to hasten the break in, other then that what he said above me.

granite_grrl

Feb 12, 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #4 of 8 (341 views)
Shortcut

Re: A quick question about shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

45 min in a pair of new slippers? They're not to small, my man....they're too big.

If you wanted comfort you picked the wrong shoes.

grampacharlie

Feb 13, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #5 of 8 (295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you're fine with what you've got. The shoes will loosen with time and maybe they will get to be a little too big, but for now, enjoy the fact that you can wear them for so long.
I've been in a number of these conversations and I usually disuade new climbers from buying shoes that are uncomfortably small. My first pair were worn with socks... not the most effective for teaching precision footwork, but I could keep them on my feet and they did help out a bit, thus encouraging me to keep climbing. Since then I have purchased more climbs shoes per year than all other types of shoes combined, and they get smaller or larger depending on what type of climbing I prefer to do with them.

In short, Fit for comfort until you become hopelessly addicted. Tthen you can buy shoes that hurt, cause you won't care about your toes anymore, it'll be all about the climbing...Pirate

Partner j_ung

Feb 13, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #6 of 8 (282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grampacharlie] A quick question about shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your biggest problem might be the shoe's lack of durability rather than its fit. Not that Moccs aren't durable... for slippers. I think you might be better off with something beefier.

suadeo

Feb 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #7 of 8 (245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grampacharlie] A quick question about shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I went climbing over the weekend and I love them. I would do a run or two and then need to take them off. Which I am fine with, since inbetween runs I was belaying for a friend. I do notice a big difference with my Mocs than the rented, bigger shoes. I can feel alot more, if that makes sense.

grampacharlie

Feb 13, 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It definately makes sense. that's what those shoes are designed for. Moccasyms are my favorite all around climbing shoe because they are sensitive and (to me) comfortable.
Keep it up.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook