RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner taino

Feb 26, 2007, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 6 (548 views)
Shortcut

G-14 frontpoint spacing...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I'm trying to set up my GF's crampons in a way that she likes. Her G-14s have two options: dual-point with points wide and further back with the points being not very aggressive, and mono-point with the single point being further forward and more aggressive.

She would prefer dual-point, forward and aggressive. I could set it up easily enough - but I don't have the spacers.

My question is: does Grivel make spacer kits for such a set--up, or do I have to go in with a bunch of washers or cut the existing spacers to size? If I have to cut the spacers, does anyone have the specs?

Personally, I think she should just get M10s and have done, but... *shrug*

Thanks for any pertinent information on the subject.

T

anykineclimb

Feb 26, 2007, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 6 (517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] G-14 frontpoint spacing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the hardware store for bolt spacers. I've used them before (for other applications) and know they exist.

SEE!!
http://www.aluminum-spacers.com/...r2zIoCFSC6Igodz3CdcQ

wagher

Feb 26, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #3 of 6 (493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used the aluminum spacers from the Hardware Store to mono my Rambos. They work fine and got to be cheaper than the Grivel Kit. You may have to get another bolt too since you will be removing something that is taking up some space.

gbmaz

Feb 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #4 of 6 (475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am assuming that you have moved the original toe-bail to the rear hole and the points are still to short, if not try that first. Be sure to gather band-aids first before trying to move them. See the link below for some tips:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._string=g14;#1523026

Leave them set in the standard dual point configuration, but replace the toe-bail with the old school Rambo toe-bail. The current toe-bails do not leave you with much frontpoint on some boots. I contacted Grivel and got some old Rambo bails and now my dual points are plenty long (an extra .25" at least).

If you look at the crampons the points would be too close together if you do what you are describing. The G14 dual points are already pretty close together (1.5" center to center), and if you set them up on the forward mounting points (the ones for the mono) they would be just over .5" apart (measured center to center). It would be like having 1 massive frontpoint.

Switch the bails instead, it will address the issue.

George

(This post was edited by gbmaz on Feb 26, 2007, 11:31 PM)

Partner taino

Feb 27, 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #5 of 6 (453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbmaz] G-14 frontpoint spacing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's an excellent idea; however, it doesn't address the angle of the frontpoints. In dualpoint mode, the angle is very low and non-aggressive; when the points get moved to the monopoint configuration, the angle also changes to be more aggressive - and that's what she wants. *sigh*

T

rhyang

Feb 27, 2007, 2:43 AM
Post #6 of 6 (436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

G14's give you exactly two frontpoint configurations. Petzl M10's and Cassin C14's have the adjustments you seek. Not that I have ever used them in that configuration ...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook