RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

dynosore

Apr 9, 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1738 views)
Shortcut

We need "stores" added to the gear review section
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So we know what latest gadget or shoe we just can't live without, but where to order it from? For the second time in as many weeks I've run into ordering problems, suffice to say I'd rather make a harness out of sun bleached webbing at this point than wait for "them" to get me the right harness Mad. It would be nice to read other people's order experiences. Would it be possible to have retailers added to the Gear Reviews? Maybe one section for online and one for walk-in retail. If you're from somewhere like I am, the "local shop" is 2+ hours away, has limited selection, and makes online ordering almost mandatory.

I have a few reviews to get the ball rolling if the mods will put this section up. Thanks!

moose_droppings

Apr 9, 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
So we know what latest gadget or shoe we just can't live without, but where to order it from? For the second time in as many weeks I've run into ordering problems, suffice to say I'd rather make a harness out of sun bleached webbing at this point than wait for "them" to get me the right harness Mad. It would be nice to read other people's order experiences. Would it be possible to have retailers added to the Gear Reviews? Maybe one section for online and one for walk-in retail. If you're from somewhere like I am, the "local shop" is 2+ hours away, has limited selection, and makes online ordering almost mandatory.

I have a few reviews to get the ball rolling if the mods will put this section up. Thanks!

Gear Store Review #1

Gear Express (Starved Rock Outfitters) is one of the most reliable, courteous, and fastest shipping on-line gear shops, bar none. They will stoop over backwards to accommodate peoples orders, attentive to details, making everything just right. Prices are usually rock bottom, but their blowout page is close to addicting.

They smell nice too.

Partner j_ung

Apr 10, 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a really, really, really, really, really good idea.

snakedevil

Apr 10, 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's a good idea.

I'd have some interesting things to say about moosejaw

gobennyjo

Apr 10, 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me guess you own it. But I have never had any problems with gear express and agree that it is a good online retailer.

powair

Apr 10, 2007, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 15 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah...Moosejaw is pretty much the worst place ever...i went into the shop they used to have in town and the kid behind the counter didnt know what webbing was. So i went in the back flipped on the hot knife cut off about 30 feet and walked out. I emailed the owner and he sent me a bunch of free stuff to try and make up for thier shittyness.

phlyfisher

Apr 10, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #7 of 15 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [powair] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.Campman.com in my opinion is the best on the net. They always have the best prices and best customer service as well. Smile

(This post was edited by phlyfisher on Apr 10, 2007, 1:05 AM)

vegastradguy

Apr 10, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #8 of 15 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phlyfisher] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that is a good idea- lemme chat with ze powers that be and see what we can do.

lostparrot

Apr 10, 2007, 2:28 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gobennyjo wrote:
Let me guess you own it. But I have never had any problems with gear express and agree that it is a good online retailer.
Nope he doesn't. I've met Mark, he's probably the nicest guy I've ever dealt with. I've bought from Gear Express online a bunch of times, so I decided to drive down to their store(only hour and a half away). Ever NICER in person. I would encourage everyone to buy from them!!

dynosore

Apr 10, 2007, 3:40 AM
Post #10 of 15 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great! If the PTB will do this, I humbly volunteer to keep things organized and/or moderate & approve reviews if help is needed.

Oddly enough, I was going to cite gear express as an example of a great shop. Sometimes I can find better prices, but their service is always top notch.

billcoe_

Apr 10, 2007, 3:42 AM
Post #11 of 15 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostparrot] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lostparrot wrote:
gobennyjo wrote:
Nope he doesn't. I've met Mark, he's probably the nicest guy I've ever dealt with. I've bought from Gear Express online a bunch of times, so I decided to drive down to their store(only hour and a half away). Ever NICER in person. I would encourage everyone to buy from them!!

Agree, Mountain Gear, BAckcountry.com, Northern Mt outfitters and MooseJaw too, good dudes all.

jakedatc

Apr 10, 2007, 6:20 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, just had another great email exchange with them tonight.. will always look there first when i order stuff

gobennyjo

Apr 16, 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [powair] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

powair wrote:
Yeah...Moosejaw is pretty much the worst place ever...i went into the shop they used to have in town and the kid behind the counter didnt know what webbing was. So i went in the back flipped on the hot knife cut off about 30 feet and walked out. I emailed the owner and he sent me a bunch of free stuff to try and make up for thier shittyness.
Yea all there advertisment links have hot girls on there. The only place I see hot girls while climbing is the gym which sucks so it is false advertiseing.

(This post was edited by gobennyjo on Apr 16, 2007, 12:56 AM)

ddt

Apr 16, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Would it be possible to have retailers added to the Gear Reviews?

We've given this some consideration and decided not to allow for it right now.

Simply utilizing the Gear database is not the right solution. While it will allow users to "review" retailers, it does not appropriately allow for reactions from the retailers and dialogue to follow.

Also, since rockclimbing.com approves/rejects all reviews, it will be hard for us to be viewed as truly unbiased in this. We certainly don't want to suppress the truth from coming out, but we are responsible to both the users and the retailers to make sure that it happens on a level playing field.

So, we need a better solution than the current Gear database, and developing it is not the highest priority for us at the moment.

DDT

(This post was edited by ddt on Apr 16, 2007, 4:56 PM)

carabiner96

Apr 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] We need "stores" added to the gear review section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about a "scoop on the retailers" thread in gear heads or something...I know thats not perfect, but something along those lines? I don't know if it warrants its own forum, but that could be something to look into.

After all, that's where half of my paycheck goes to!

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook