Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paulraphael

May 23, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #1 of 27 (9308 views)
Shortcut

Anyone familiar with this knot?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They're calling it a "double overhand" and are recommending it for connecting rap ropes.

looks like a cluster to me ... is this a standard knot in some part of the world?

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/Lab/techniques/abseiling/ab2.html

papounet

May 23, 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #2 of 27 (9257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paulraphael] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is indeed a double overhand but not pulled tight.

mostly used when constructing double fisherman knot.

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Overhand_Knot.html

Actually from my point of view:
- the double overhand is much less prone to capsizing when the two strand on one side are pulled apart , so it is probably in that sense "stronger"
- it probably weakens the rope as much as the single

but
- it is as dificult to untie
- it is larger and more symetrical that the single overhand, which may cause it to catch more easily

So I stay with single overhand with long tails

summerprophet

May 23, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #3 of 27 (9239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The double overhand may indeed come from the industrial safety side of things. A double overhand is the standard knot for industrial rigging and construction. (as opposed to TECHNICAL rigging)

I have not seen it used for rappels before. I use a figure of eight with 50 cm of tail. (or a double fishermans if there is no cracks for it to get caught in)

rocknice2

May 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #4 of 27 (9212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
The double overhand may indeed come from the industrial safety side of things. A double overhand is the standard knot for industrial rigging and construction. (as opposed to TECHNICAL rigging)

I have not seen it used for rappels before. I use a figure of eight with 50 cm of tail. (or a double fishermans if there is no cracks for it to get caught in)

A simple overhand knot is better for rappel than both the fig8 and 2fish.

It doesn't roll over like an 8.
Passes over edges WAY better than a 2fish.
Has a very low profile.
Is strong enough to lower even the fattest of asses.

knudenoggin

May 25, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #5 of 27 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul, I've only seen that site once before, but not the knot elsewhere.
Indeed, one can wonder where they got it and came to promote it.
It seems to work alright as presented or in reverse, or in the symmetric
form more common to the dbl. overhand knot as in the Grapevine.

However, as the effective sure holding comes from only one rope, there's
material inefficiency in making the same form with both ropes. This is why
i recommend the "Offset 9-Oh bend", where essentially a Fig.9 & Overhand
are joined in the two ropes, with the 9 in the thinner which is oriented to be
what makes the choke at the entry point (and thereby keeps the knot from
being pried open into rolling). --obviating the need for "long tails".

*kN*

summerprophet

May 25, 2007, 8:33 PM
Post #6 of 27 (9106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2,
I researched your statement about the overhand knot vs. the Figure of eight knot, and indeed you are correct. Thank you for the heads up and my rappels will be revised from here on.

It seems the rules change (as test data becomes available), as when I was a guide (ten years ago), they presented data to begin using the figure of eight rather than double fishermans for rappels.

majid_sabet

May 25, 2007, 8:33 PM
Post #7 of 27 (9104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I seen a few CF knots but this one is some thing else so far. in one image ,the rope with a knot looks like is adjustable knot similar to purcell ( prusic) system plus, do climbers run rope over webbing (software x software) ?

Partner j_ung

May 25, 2007, 9:11 PM
Post #8 of 27 (9075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I seen a few CF knots but this one is some thing else so far. in one image ,the rope with a knot looks like is adjustable knot similar to purcell ( prusic) system plus, do climbers run rope over webbing (software x software) ?

I saw that, too and was wondering why they did it. As for the double overhand, until somebody tests it under a variety of conditions, I'll keep my EDK, thanks.

(This post was edited by j_ung on May 25, 2007, 9:32 PM)

papounet

May 28, 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #9 of 27 (8973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I seen a few CF knots but this one is some thing else so far.

I then wonder what you have seen elsewhere. this is absolutely a standard double overhand knot which has not been pulled tight in order to let some people see how the knot is constructed. Next to it you see it tighened up. Based on your comment below you did not get that a knot can be shown in 2 states, did you ?

In reply to:
in one image ,the rope with a knot looks like is adjustable knot similar to purcell ( prusic) system plus, do climbers run rope over webbing (software x software) ?

Majid, it is a knot used for joining 2 ropes for rappel.
Please note that it is very common for mountaineers to use a bare sling to rappel. when you pull down the rope, there is more friction than when using a biner or a rappelring or a quicklink but it is cheap and works well for the first rappel. As long you do not tensioin both sides (such as in tp-rope), the rope will not seesaw into the sling.

knudenoggin

May 30, 2007, 5:50 PM
Post #10 of 27 (8854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [papounet] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet wrote:
I then wonder what you have seen elsewhere. this is absolutely a standard double overhand knot which has not been pulled tight in order to let some people see how the knot is constructed. Next to it you see it tighened up. ... it is a knot used for joining 2 ropes for rappel.
And, esp. in this context, it is, as was remarked, quite UNcommonly seen:
has anyone any other source/sighting for/of it? (I have seen it in the wild
only as a stopper in conch pots for pot bridles--and surprisingly found it oriented
both ways (but IIRC, not as in the Grapevine/Strangle).) So much for "standard".
As for "pulled tight", note that here that only compresses the knot to remove
slack--i.p., it hassn't changed its form to the commonly seen version of a Dbl.Oh.
in the Strangle/(half-a-Grapevine)--which form could also serve.

*kN*

majid_sabet

May 30, 2007, 6:23 PM
Post #11 of 27 (8822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I then wonder what you have seen elsewhere. this is absolutely a standard double overhand knot which has not been pulled tight in order to let some people see how the knot is constructed. Next to it you see it tighened up. Based on your comment below you did not get that a knot can be shown in 2 states, did you ?

In reply to:
in one image ,the rope with a knot looks like is adjustable knot similar to purcell ( prusic) system plus, do climbers run rope over webbing (software x software) ?

Majid, it is a knot used for joining 2 ropes for rappel.
Please note that it is very common for mountaineers to use a bare sling to rappel. when you pull down the rope, there is more friction than when using a biner or a rappelring or a quicklink but it is cheap and works well for the first rappel. As long you do not tensioin both sides (such as in tp-rope), the rope will not seesaw into the sling.

I am sorry, is this CF called standard double overhand knot to join to rope which has not been pulled tight ?

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

papounet

May 30, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #12 of 27 (8787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

majid_sabet wrote:
I am sorry, is this CF called standard double overhand knot to join to rope which has not been pulled tight ?

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1531/screenhunter001yz1.jpg[/IMG]

As I said, as summerprophet said, knudenoggin said

Yes, it is a double overhand knot

if you build it simply, it is the standard form it takes (the picture does not do justice to a tightened double overhand).
If you dress it up while tightening it, you arrive at a half-a-grapevine setup as knudenoggin explained.

No, it is not a CF knot.
because if it was, this would mean that, my dear, everytime you have made a double fisherman (aka a Grapevine) you have been doubling up on the CF.
And this, I am not yet ready to believe Sly

(This post was edited by papounet on May 30, 2007, 10:01 PM)

majid_sabet

May 30, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #13 of 27 (8743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

majid_sabet wrote:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1531/screenhunter001yz1.jpg[/IMG]

As I said, as summerprophet said, knudenoggin said

Yes, it is a double overhand knot
[image]http://www.animatedknots.com/stopperrescue/DoubleOverhand.jpg[/image]
if you build it simply, it is the standard form it takes (the picture does not do justice to a tightened double overhand).
If you dress it up while tightening it, you arrive at a half-a-grapevine setup as knudenoggin explained.
[image]http://www.animatedknots.com/stopper/knot.jpg[/image]

No, it is not a CF knot.
because if it was, this would mean that, my dear, everytime you have made a double fisherman (aka a Grapevine) you have been doubling up on the CF.

I am going to pull all of my prusics out and re tie them using this new CF double overhand knot method

Thanks

patto

May 30, 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #14 of 27 (8716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
rocknice2,
I researched your statement about the overhand knot vs. the Figure of eight knot, and indeed you are correct. Thank you for the heads up and my rappels will be revised from here on.

It seems the rules change (as test data becomes available), as when I was a guide (ten years ago), they presented data to begin using the figure of eight rather than double fishermans for rappels.

The rethreaded fig-8 is absolutely bomber, no problems using that for rappels.

The non rethreaded fig-8 where both tails are together is a terrible knot, i doubt any knowledgable source has recommended this. Fig-8 knots need to be loaded on both ends!

**Incidently a single, or even double overhand overall has poor knot characteristics. This is primarily due to the rolling failure mode. However climbing rope (except possibly when wet) has sufficient friction to prevent the knot failure. So this is a knot that can be used safely in *most* circumstances.

papounet

May 31, 2007, 6:01 AM
Post #15 of 27 (8693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
papounet wrote:
No, it is not a CF knot.

I am going to pull all of my prusics out and re tie them using this new CF double overhand knot method

Thanks

You have me worried.
Are you pulling my leg ?
I am picturing you trying to thread 2 double-overhand on opposed strands.
or is our common lack of command of the english language which is playing a trick on us ?

Leave your Prusik alone !!!
made of nylon, they should be fine with a double fisherman which is build by having two opposed line doing each a double overhand knots around the other standing end. (BTW, the correct spelling is Prusik, which comes from the name of the inventor Dr Prusik).

http://www.animatedknots.com/...ww.animatedknots.com

the knot we have been discussed is also based on a double-overhand. It is one only one double-overhand on two ropes together.
http://www.animatedknots.com/...ww.animatedknots.com

Do you get it ?

papounet

May 31, 2007, 6:18 AM
Post #16 of 27 (8687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
rocknice2,

The non rethreaded fig-8 where both tails are together is a terrible knot, i doubt any knowledgable source has recommended this. Fig-8 knots need to be loaded on both ends!

For a while i believe it was taught during (french) guide training that this was the knot to use for joining 2 ropes during rappel (that was when bowline knot became frowned upon because of accidents).
The thinking was "After all if the knot was good enough to attach, it should be strong enough for rapelling, so let's use and let's teach only one knot". Only a series of accident or near-accident led to further investigation and test. Tets such as Tom Myer's demonstrated the capsizing risk of fig-8.

The simple overhand knot is not good per se( it is as you pointed out quite bad). it is just good enough for a rappel load on ropes in good condition (same size, not wet, not icy).
the fig-8 rethreaded aka fig-8 bend aka flemish bend and the double fisherman are much stronger, but have a higher risk of getting stuck when retrieving the rope.
Ease of tying, ease of untying, ease of verification are less important characteristic IMHO.

Knudenoggin could probably point us to alternate knots for joining ropes of different diameters

patto

May 31, 2007, 7:01 AM
Post #17 of 27 (8676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet wrote:
For a while i believe it was taught during (french) guide training that this was the knot to use for joining 2 ropes during rappel (that was when bowline knot became frowned upon because of accidents).
The thinking was "After all if the knot was good enough to attach, it should be strong enough for rapelling, so let's use and let's teach only one knot". Only a series of accident or near-accident led to further investigation and test. Tets such as Tom Myer's demonstrated the capsizing risk of fig-8.

This shocks me because in my opinion you don't need a test to show that it is a poor knot. It really scares me the amount of climbers out there who do things without analysis.

paulraphael

Jun 1, 2007, 4:39 AM
Post #18 of 27 (8600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
[This shocks me because in my opinion you don't need a test to show that it is a poor knot. It really scares me the amount of climbers out there who do things without analysis.

The authors of a book on alpine climbing published by the Mountaineers actually recommended the flat 8 as a rap knot. I sent an email to the authors (both international guides) with links to a number of horrifying test results.

Their response wasn't very comforting. They said they'd probably remove it from the next edition, but that seems like a pretty minimal solution considering how bad the knot is.

As far as the regular overhand goes, I actually find the test results encouraging. Even with wet ropes of wildly different diameters, the knot is strong enough for any load possible in a single rap. People forget that the knot is in a single strand of rope, so it takes only half the total load of the rap.

I'm convinced that the accidents related to this knot come from improper tying--and that the weakness of the knot isn't its tensile strength, but its requirement for unusual vigilance while tying. This is definitely a flaw, but one that is more than made up for by its strengths IMO.

knudenoggin

Jun 2, 2007, 3:37 AM
Post #19 of 27 (8538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:

The non rethreaded [offset] fig-8 where both tails are together is a terrible knot, i doubt any knowledgable source has recommended this.
In fact several such sources have recommended the knot, some even upon
consideration of test results that have been mentioned. --and in one case,
by a person intimately familiar with the fatal failure at Zion with the climber.
But as the OOB (Offset Overhand Bend) is simpler and more resistant to and
less dangerous in rolling, why go the extra step to tie an Offset F8?

In reply to:
This shocks me because in my opinion you don't need a test to show that it is a poor knot. It really scares me the amount of climbers out there who do things without analysis.
Well, how about with analysis? For a careful (vs. fearful) reading of Tom Moyer's
testing will suggest that with careful tying the knot is quite safe. (Note also
though that his qualification of "well dressed and [set]" does not really give
us a helpful insight into what form of the knot met the machine--i.p., just pulling
on each end in some random order is not what I'd specify for good setting,
where the objective should be to make that part of the knot that binds the entering
rap lines is sufficiently tight (and if, as is asserted re the British climbers' rope
of the fatality in Zion, the material doesn't allow this, then RETREAT!).
Tom's lowest figures for a well-dressed and at least lightly pretensioned (set)
Offset Fig.8 bend is 290#, and in each case the knot then held to break at a high
load (over 1_000#)--and, as is remarked elsewhere, the knotted rope will be holding
only about half of the rap load (so 290 implies a 550# load).

But it is yet worth advising the preference for the OOB (EDK) and in any
case against the OF8B. As both knots need care in dressing, and this is much simpler
to see & effect for the OOB, use it. (Though I like some steps to better secure
this basic structure with one end tied-off against it (not for BOTH ends to be also
OOB'd, as one site recommends--needless bulk), or using the Offset 9-Oh
(where the first-around-mainlines which should be thinner rope will take a full
turn around them before being tucked out beside its twin, thus forming a Fig.9).

In reply to:
Knudenoggin could probably point us to alternative knots for joining ropes of different diameters.
And I have, above; and you can also find my repeated rejection of the myth that
the OOB is somehow MORE risky with ropes of unequal diameters--in fact,
if one orients this asymmetric bend's parts so that the thinner rope makes the
outermost/initlal binding of the ropes at the entry point, it should be MORE secure
against rolling (the thin rope being more impeded by the thick against this).

All of the climbers considering this have some means at getting an idea
of the behavior of these knots, by setting up some simple mechanical advantage
systems (3:1, or 2:1 on top of 2:1 for 4:1--which with 'biners as sheaves will
be much less in actual than theoretical MA, but sufficient as modeling rap loads
--and one can do some bouncing, too (how do your rappel?)).

One should not just read a couple forum threads and believe ... .
Especially as the extant tests include but a very small sample of the sorts of ropes
that are of interest--it's not just a matter of diameter(s).

Note also that in many cases of an offset bend that, with the knot under light
tension (working, i.e.), one can grasp the knot and dial it to a different
relation to the tensioned lines--a range of 180 degrees in the plane the knot
is perpendicular to.

*kN*

paulraphael

Jun 3, 2007, 4:23 AM
Post #20 of 27 (8467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knudenoggin wrote:
and you can also find my repeated rejection of the myth that the OOB is somehow MORE risky with ropes of unequal diameters

thank you. if i had a dollar for every time someone warned against two different sized ropes, without any reasoning or explanation ...

knudenoggin wrote:
--in fact, if one orients this asymmetric bend's parts so that the thinner rope makes the outermost/initlal binding of the ropes at the entry point, it should be MORE secure against rolling (the thin rope being more impeded by the thick against this).

can you point to any pictures of this? i'm having a hard time visualizing it. i know the knot is actually asymetrical, but i've never paid attention to that when tying.

knudenoggin

Jun 4, 2007, 5:11 AM
Post #21 of 27 (8396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

paulraphael wrote:
knudenoggin wrote:
and you can also find my repeated rejection of the myth that the OOB is somehow MORE risky with ropes of unequal diameters

thank you. if i had a dollar for every time someone warned against two different sized ropes, without any reasoning or explanation ...
It's fair to say that my rebuttal in fact merely qualifies the nature of the warning:
that the knot can be better if oriented this way, and by same reasoning
worse if the other way--though I think after 1 roll the ropes' resp. roles
would be reversed, and it would lock.

But tie it correctly, so ...
knudenoggin wrote:
that the thinner rope makes the outermost/initlal binding of the ropes at the entry point, it should be MORE secure against rolling (the thin rope being more impeded by the thick against this).

In reply to:
can you point to any pictures of this?
Take a gander at http://ozultimate.com/...s/one-sided_overhand

the green rope is the one making the (initial, if rolling) binding of the ropes at
the entry point; this should be the thinner or more flexible rope, which should
be more easily tightened to hold the knot against being pried open.
The particular knot in the photo should be set by pulling all parts tight
and esp. pulling the green rope towards yourself, the white less so
(which sets them as best one can against the loaded parts' draw of them in
the opposite way. And a securing stopper Overhand knot can be productively
tied in the green (thinner/more flexible if ...) rope around the other's end,
and that will impede the draw of material that leads to rolling.
AND (er, OR), the green rope could have been taken ONE FULL TURN around
the mainlines before it was tucked out--the "Offset Fig.9-Oh bend"--
which greatly resists being pried open. (I.e., in step 2, instead of feeding the
green rope out as shown, go around the mainlines and THEN feed it out.)

(Note that he's got the green end wrongly above & to right of white at the finish
(in R hand), instead of the other way 'round as they should be.)

*kN*

(This post was edited by knudenoggin on Jun 4, 2007, 5:21 AM)

wiki

Sep 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #22 of 27 (7720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
A simple overhand knot is better for rappel than both the fig8 and 2fish.

It doesn't roll over like an 8.
Passes over edges WAY better than a 2fish.
Has a very low profile.
Is strong enough to lower even the fattest of asses.

Why don't you just use an alpine butterfly to link two ropes for abseiling? It is strong - almost bomber (70% or something like that depending on the test you read), doesn't roll and best of all is MEANT to be loaded in any direction!

reg

Sep 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #23 of 27 (7705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use it for the knot at the end of my rap lines - for some reason i call it a surgons knot - taught to me by a fishermen friend - not a climber or rigger.

livinonasandbar

Sep 14, 2007, 1:44 PM
Post #24 of 27 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's some testing information on the various knots under discussion:

http://www.xmission.com/...yer/testing/EDK.html

delrio

Sep 15, 2007, 7:17 AM
Post #25 of 27 (7576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livinonasandbar] Anyone familiar with this knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

livinonasandbar wrote:
Here's some testing information on the various knots under discussion:

http://www.xmission.com/...yer/testing/EDK.html

... and click by "Edelrid tests"
- (in German, with much of it translated into English). Test data on three knots: the flat-overhand, the double-fisherman's tied as a flat-knot (photo at right from their page), and on a new type of flat-knot

"Edelrid tests" direct:
http://www.gudelius.de/spst.htm

By : http://gudelius.de/alpinesite.htm

(This post was edited by delrio on Sep 15, 2007, 5:13 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook