RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

trevorp

May 30, 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #1 of 2 (830 views)
Shortcut

dslr case recommendations for different situations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I'm wanting to bring along my slr instead of the little P&S on climbing trips and have read the recommendations in some of the threads regarding Lowe Pro cases and am still a tad undecided/confused on choosing one.

I was wondering if others would share their experience/tips in carrying their cameras around (and participating in the climbing too). Camera is a 30D with battery grip, and i'm willing to carry just one zoom lens if there isn't space for another.

Scenario 1: Bouldering
With a P&S, it was always just throwing it along with all the other small items in a small pack/sack and stuffing everything between the taco fold of the crash pad and walking around with hands free to scramble when need be. What do you guys with slr gear do?

Scenario 2: while on a route or hanging off somewhere and shooting other climbers

Do any of you replace the straps or do something to secure the camera to you/harness, so that you wouldn't lose it if it happened to slip out of your hands? (but still provides the freedom of moving the camera around)

thanks!

uptick

May 31, 2007, 4:33 AM
Post #2 of 2 (802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trevorp] dslr case recommendations for different situations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a Lowepro Trekker 200. Pretty much carries everything I need. When I go climbing, most of the time it is just me and my son. I take the big pack. Depending on where we go, he get's the overflow. If the Trekker is left over I carry it by the handle and if no overflow, he packs it. If you want to get half way serious about it, get used to hauling a bit of extra crap with you.
From my experience, if I take the body and one lens, when I start taking pics, there will be one thing I wished I brought with me and it is usually of minimal consequence, size wise...So, I just take my "climbing kit."

I don't use a neck strap. Went to the hardware store and bought some spring clips (like very small keychain rings), put them on the camera and tied a small length of 5 mm cord to make a carrying strap. Can clip a biner to my harness but keep your eye on it. Did the same thing with a new point and shoot and ended up beating the shit out of it on an ascent. Would be totally PO'ed if that happened to my SLR.
Each climb is different. Maybe the best is to haul it up on a line? Maybe the best is to take care and run it under your arm like a sling? What ever works best.
I was a little reprehensive about buying the camera pack. Thinking "what the hell, $70 for a backpack that looks like the Jansport on my closet floor?" Not the case. Keeps everything organized and protected. Well worth it...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook