RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

ocean

Sep 5, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #1 of 1 (602 views)
Shortcut

2007 DC Area Adopt-A-Crag Events!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Summary:
What: 2007 DC Area Adopt-A-Crag Events
Where: Great Falls (9/15) and Carderock (9/29)
When: 9am to 2pm, Check-in at 8:30am

Long winded Version bought to you by Ocean Eiler "that other Access Fund Guy":

2007 DC Area Adopt-A-Crag Events!!!!

Gather round so you all can hear a little more about what this event is all about!

COME ONE COME ALL! Partake in not one.... but two of the largest climber volunteer events in your tri state region (OK DC's not a state but bear with me).

To start off this ADVENTURE we will be traveling to the beloved Great Falls Park in the beautiful state of Virginia.

(Insert "Hoots and Hollering" here)

OK OK settle down other wise you all won't know when this event is going down and your most likely to miss it... Ok now where was I. Ahhhhhhhh yes Lovely Virginia.

Great Falls Park Adopt-A-Crag will be taking place on Saturday, September 15th. Check-in at 8:30am and we will begin working promptly at 9am. As a general rule we say that we will stop around 2pm, however in years past we have stopped WELL before our allotted time. Why you might say? BECAUSE CLIMBERS ARE FREAKING BAD ASS! That's why... The national parks keep giving us work and we just keep on completing it.

But Ocean what if I can't wait till the 15th to sign up?

Ahhhhhh good on you mate! Here is the perfect remedy for such a problem. Early registration is much obliged and can be done at: adoptacrag@dcmetroclimbing.com

Now before you all start gabbing and carrying on about your excitement for this Great Falls Adopt-A-Crag let me tell you about our other fine event just over the river.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Carderock Recreation Area, MD. Brings a tear to my eye. In no other place on earth can you drive only mere minutes from your front door to be schooled all over the rock by a wiry old man rocking HI TOPS. It just brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Carderock, MD where legends are born... So lets help this legendary place to keep building those legendary people!

Saturday, September 29th! Check-in at 8:30 am and the work starts at 9 am and goes to 2 pm

Now you might be thinking why should I give up two perfectly good Saturdays to help out these local crags? You might say but I don't even climb here all that much. Or better yet I don't really care I think I will stay home and watch cartoons.

Here is why you should give up two days out of 363 days of the year to give back to your local crag. Does the crag ever say it doesn't want you to climb? Is the crag ever missing when you go to climb on it? Does the crag have any voice at all? No it doesn't, but those that own the crag have a voice and can say "Climbers do not take care of the rock we ALLOW them to play on, and its not worth the liability to allow them to climb.

"allow"... whats this? Climbing is not a right? I'm pretty sure it was right next to free speech and the right to arm bears...You mean they can take climbing away?

You bet your sweet bottom dollar. In-fact they have tried to... remember that little stink with the NPS Land Management Plan and Great Falls, you know the one that is still going on? Yea? This is not just local event, nation wide! This is why Access Fund and other small groups like Friends of Great Falls are fighting for your climbing rights.

This means when you come out to these events your sending a clear and direct message to land owners nation wide. I AM A CLIMBER AND I CARE ABOUT MY CRAG!

Now I'm not saying its going to be easy! In-fact I'm sure they will work us to the bone. But we are first and foremost climbers! We are not like the little weak ass weekend do gooders they usually get. Second of all we have prizes...

YES IN DEEDIE I SAID IT PRIZES, GIFTS, SWAG, WHAT HAVE YOU! of course your doing all this for the good of the crag and to help keep the pleasant diplomatic nature of the land overs. But whats the fun in that if you can't walk away with something FUN and FREE!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I thought that might get someones attention.

Besides all the swag we have for you, after each event we will be providing you with a mountainous feast of delectable eats! Really its just a BBQ but heck after a long hard day of work I'm sure it will be glorious!

Come and be apart of the DC Area Adopt-A-Crag events, meet some new friends, catch up with old ones and show the crag some love.

Please feel free to contact Thomson Ling if you who would like to participate in one or both of these Adopt-A-Crag events (adoptacrag@dcmetroclimbing.com;
301-460-4327).

Also come check out our website for details, photos of past events, or general information about your local climbing areas:
http://www.dcmetroclimbing.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook