RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

moethecat

Oct 31, 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Argentina in January. Yeah!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi International types.

A friend of mine won a trip to Peru in January. A nice romantic trip for two down the Amazon. Since he's a rock climber and single, he decide to ditch the trip and invited me to make it a climbing trip instead. So, we're taking the free airfare to Lima and then hitting Argentina for 4 weeks of climbing.

Neither of us has been climbing in Argentina so I'm looking for suggestions about where to go and what to expect.

This is our proposed itinerary.

-Arrive in Lima early Jan.

-Fly to Cordoba for a bit of sport, bouldering, trad. It's will be middle of winter in Canada so neither of us will have had much time on rock in the last few months. Spend 1 week to 10 days.

-Travel to Mendoza for some longer trad / sport n Alpine setting. Cajon de Arenales looks stellar. Another 10 or so days.

-Do some drinking / partying.

-Fly back to Lima from Mendoza.

-Head back to the deep freeze in Canada.

I'd love to hear back from people who can recommend
specific areas to visit, routes, weather considerations, websites with topos, where to buy guidebooks, contact people, whatever else that will make a climbing / vacation more fun.

Thanks for your input

Jonathan Graham – climbvertigo@NOSPAMeastlink.ca

David Blanchard – sitstart@NOSPAMmac.com

crackmeup

Nov 7, 2007, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moethecat] Argentina in January. Yeah! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can go to Cordoba in January although the weather could be a bit too hot at times. I would suggest going to Bariloche instead for a taste of northern Patagonia. Valle Encantado is possibly the best sport climbing destination in the country and Frey has excellent trad climbing with great exposure and incredible views.

winglessangel

Nov 15, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackmeup] Argentina in January. Yeah! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I´m planning the hit Valle Encantado in early Jan too.
I have a month to travel so going to Frey is a possibility for the end of the trip.

Any infos on those places?? PLZ? I would appreciate very much?

Jonathan, David? what do you guys think about the Valle? Interested?

Thanks,
Flavia

crackmeup

Nov 16, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winglessangel] Argentina in January. Yeah! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Flavia,

i know a bunch of people from Buenos Aires who are going to Valle Encantado and Frey in January. I'm going there sometime this season but still not sure when. I've been to the Bariloche area several times but not to Valle.

I've been to Frey a few times and I have the guide (I believe it's out of print but you can probably get a copy at the Club Andino Bariloche). Finding partners there is usually not a problem, PM if there is anything in particular you'd like to know.

Diego

cracksmokingunslinger

Nov 20, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend and I are looking to go both sport climbing and bouldering, anywhere in Argentina from about dec 10 until january 15th,
We are having a lot of trouble figuring out which areas would be best to visit and what the logistics for each area are (accomodations...etc). We will be purchasing tickets in a few days, presumably flying into buenos aires, then off to wherever...
can you suggest an itinerary? recommend where to get guidebooks from here, or when we arrive? any info would be great...
mostly we would prefer sport routes in the 11's, 12's and boulder from about v3,4,5,6 and up...

crackmeup

Nov 20, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracksmokingunslinger] Argentina in January. Yeah! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You have lots of options. For example, you could check out the Mar del Plata - Balcarce area (a four hour drive from Buenos Aires, five hours by bus). It has some of the best bouldering I've seen (too many problems to count). In that case, you'd want to get in touch with Tim (rc user:yanqui), he lives there and knows all the good stuff. There is a bouldering guide to the Sierra de los Padres area (near Mar del Plata) that you may be able to get at outdoor stores in Buenos Aires. Some info here:

http://camp.mcniac.com.ar/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=42

There are some classic boulder problems there, although you'll have to share the place with tourists and kids. La Barrosa in Balcarce is off the beaten track, prettier and very clean. You'd need Tim to tell you where to go, he can take you to areas with cool problems such as Asperix (v8) or the unnamed double-digit roof that nobody has sent (there are tons of v3-v6 problems in those areas).

As for routes, Tim has bolted maybe 40 short routes in the area, mostly in the 11s and 12. You could also head to Sierra de los Difuntos (halfway between Mar del Plata and Balcarce) for some great routes up to 70 feet, most between 5.11 and 5.13. The Pitufilandia sector is the easiest one to get to.

You can do all the above without a car, that area is pretty touristy and there is good public transportation, as well as lodging options (paid campsites, hostels, hotels, cabins, etc). I'd rather have a car or drive with someone, it makes it easier to check out different areas, shop around and find places to eat.

You could also fly directly to Bariloche and go to Valle Encantado. You can pick up the guide at the Club Andino Bariloche downtown. There are many other sport climbing, bouldering and trad options in Bariloche such as Cerro Ventana, but Valle Encantado is supposed to be the best (haven't been yet). As far as I know, backcountry camping is the only option there as it is about 30 miles out of Bariloche.

This area is very scenic and touristy, and I know many climbers who will head down for the holidays and stay through January. I don't know how many people will be there in mid December, my guess is not too many other than during weekends. The weather in Bariloche is cooler than in Buenos Aires, I recommend taking some warm clothes. Valle Encantado is probably warm by December but if you hike up to Frey it may freeze at night.

Another option is to fly to Cordoba and take a bus or rent a car to drive to La Ola, about 90 minutes from the city. There's some great sport climbing there and it's all very convenient (flat approaches, most areas are next to the road). You could spend two or three days there and climb a number of cool 11s and 12s. The elevation is 6000 ft, so it's usually warm during the day and cold at night.

I could keep going on about other climbing areas. It may be worth spending a couple of days in Buenos Aires and talking to people at climbing gyms. I recommend going to Boulder (Arce 730), open Tue-Fri between 5 pm and 11 pm (3 to 9 on weekends, I believe). They usually organize group outings to climbing areas, I've met many English speakers there and the staff should be able to give you all the pointers you need. Another good climbing gyms are Realization and Rustik:

http://www.realization.com.ar/conocenos.htm
http://www.escaladarustik.com.ar/nosotros.asp

I'll likely be in BA in December so feel free to PM me when you are around.

cracksmokingunslinger

Nov 21, 2007, 8:52 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all this info was fantastic. We will get our tickets this weeks sometime to buenos aires. from Ba i was thinking of heading down and hitting some of those crags in the four five hour driving range, we could take a bus if it is easy, but if it is easier, we could rent a car and drive some people down to go climbing, anyone interested in jumping aboard? what order should we do them in, who wants to come?
B

bennyg

Nov 24, 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To all on this thread-

I would love to get in touch about climbing in Bariloche or Valle Encantado. I am currently living in Junin, a few hours north and am looking for climbing partners. I'll be here until April... I have mostly alpine gear, and would love to get in some trad- though I didn't bring a rack due to the fact I was already at my limit.... anyways, reply if interested, and hopefully we can meet up-

winglessangel

Nov 29, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennyg] Argentina in January. Yeah! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi.
I decided what I'm going to do.
From jan 7~20 I will go to Chalten with a group for more walks and hikes than climbs. I want to see the valleys and the glaciar but won't attenpt any of the big cerros. I'll try to climb on local crags as much as I can.

From 21 to 31 I'll be in Valle Encantado to pop some pulleys of my fingers!!! ouch!Pirate hahahaahah

winglessangel

Nov 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crackmeup wrote:
Hi Flavia,

i know a bunch of people from Buenos Aires who are going to Valle Encantado and Frey in January. I'm going there sometime this season but still not sure when. I've been to the Bariloche area several times but not to Valle.

I've been to Frey a few times and I have the guide (I believe it's out of print but you can probably get a copy at the Club Andino Bariloche). Finding partners there is usually not a problem, PM if there is anything in particular you'd like to know.

Diego

thanks, I just posted above what I decided.
If I have any more questions I'll let you know, hopefully everything will go well.
If you ever come to Rio, contact me and I'll give any info you need!

Flavia

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook