RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

bigfatrock

Dec 21, 2007, 4:18 PM
Post #1 of 9 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Compact Canon Digitals - What to buy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I plan on buying myself a compact digital camera as a Christmas gift to myself, but I am torn between two modes. I would love to hear your feedback on them.

Canon Powershot SD870 IS

Canon Powershot G9

I like how small the SD870 is, and it has a 28mm lens
The G9 would give me more creative control, but only is 35mm.

I also like the idea of having the option to use the G9 on actual assignments if needed but it's also not as small for carrying around every day.

Hopefully hearing some feedback from you guys will help me decide. I do a lot of professional assignments, but wanted something I can just take out with friends and not have worry about lugging around my 5lb body.

herbaltee

Dec 22, 2007, 4:05 AM
Post #2 of 9 (9244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Compact Canon Digitals - What to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I have an A520. Its an older model. But i love the full manual I can use plus the lens attachments.

But all in all, if you are just looking for a compact, I would say go smaller. I have friends who just love the SD series. And since it is small it goes right into the shirt pocket (when we are backpacking).

Paul_Y

Dec 25, 2007, 2:20 AM
Post #3 of 9 (9096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you buy your camera yet? I was faced with the same dilemma. Wide angle, quality, weight and size. I opted for the G9 even though it is heavy and large for a point and shoot camera. I liked the hot shoe and raw features. I have noticed that point and shoots in general are really noisy starting at about 400 iso. If you get a camera without raw, the camera will process the noise for you trying for the best compromise between noise and detail (reducing noise can also reduce detail). I have just discovered Noise Ninja as a third party noise reducer and i love it. So in theory I can do my own noise reductions, color balances etc if I decide to shoot raw and I have that option with the G9.

A camera that Pico23 likes is the Richo GX 100 which has an equivalent 24mm lens and will shoot RAW. And is smaller and lighter than the G9.

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/caplio/gx100/

Tell us what you end up with!

bigfatrock

Dec 25, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #4 of 9 (9072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Compact Canon Digitals - What to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I haven't got it yet because I thought the folks might get it for me for Christmas, but since they did not (but gave me some money) I am likely going to go get a G9 with the wide angle converter.

I really like the small size of the other compacts but still want something I can use to put stuff in my stock collection and have full creative control.

Paul_Y

Dec 25, 2007, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 9 (9065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You probably already know this, but before you can attach anyone's wide converter you need to get an adapter that you first attach to the camera body and then attach the converter to the adapter. Of course you could get canon's adapter and wide converters but there have been somer very positive comments on the lensmate adapter:
http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7.html

pico23

Dec 28, 2007, 3:53 AM
Post #6 of 9 (8979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul_Y wrote:
You probably already know this, but before you can attach anyone's wide converter you need to get an adapter that you first attach to the camera body and then attach the converter to the adapter. Of course you could get canon's adapter and wide converters but there have been somer very positive comments on the lensmate adapter:
http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7.html

There was a good site with reviews of wide angle converters. Pretty much if it has a diameter greater than the OEM model it will work.

I wish my Schneider model from the Kodak 7440 worked on it, that was a great lens for a decent price. it was just a bit too small.

The newer Schneider model would work though had I had that one, and it again got very high test scores.

I believe either olympus or minolta made the best one, a particular model, make sure you find the test before just buying an oly or minolta wide angle as there are quite a few made by either.

Believe it or not those fairly inexpensive Raynox usually make it to the middle of the lens test pack.

The bottom line on the converters was that all things weren't equal, and price wasn't necessarily the deciding factor, nor was the brand. I think Sony had the most expensive model and it ranked among the worst overall. I don't remember the Canon OEM off the top of my head but I think they were in the middle.

I can't decide if I am going to buy another compact or not. I really like the G series but my old SLR isn't that much bigger than a G series and the IQ is definitely better.

If that GX100 or GR-D/GR-D II wasn't so dam much I'd opt for it, but I just have a hard time putting $500 into a digital compact when I could put it towards good glass for my SLRs.

Maybe the Sigma DP-1 will be priced around $300 since Sigma made us all wait for it for WAY too long. It's turning into vaporware.

BTW, got my skyports for christmas. Haven't tested them yet but I'm charging them tonight and hopefully will trying them out this weekend.

bigfatrock

Dec 28, 2007, 2:22 PM
Post #7 of 9 (8940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ended up going with the G9, so far I like it. Results when using a Speedlite flash are a little unpredictable, but I haven't tried my 580ex yet, hopefully that works better than the 550ex.

I am a little disappointed with the noise even at the lower ISO, I knew it wouldn't be as good as my SLR, but I didn't expect this. I haven't tried shooting RAW yet, hopefully that will be better.

But so far I am fairly pleased. I really like the macro mode too. I put up a self portrait on my photoblog taken with using a 550ex.

http://calebsimpsonphoto.blogspot.com/

Paul_Y

Dec 28, 2007, 3:38 PM
Post #8 of 9 (8925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice portrait. Off camera flash? I agree about the noise, but I hear that all point and shoots suffer from this. Here's one from a G9 with Noise Ninja added. ISO 200. f4.5, 1/100 sec, handheld with IS on.

Oh and regarding the wide lens add on lenses, jeez they seem to be about as big as the camera! You put a speed light and a wide lens converter on that little camera and that would be interesting to see.

(This post was edited by Paul_Y on Dec 28, 2007, 3:47 PM)

pico23

Dec 28, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #9 of 9 (8885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul_Y wrote:
Very nice portrait. Off camera flash? I agree about the noise, but I hear that all point and shoots suffer from this. Here's one from a G9 with Noise Ninja added. ISO 200. f4.5, 1/100 sec, handheld with IS on.

Oh and regarding the wide lens add on lenses, jeez they seem to be about as big as the camera! You put a speed light and a wide lens converter on that little camera and that would be interesting to see.

The fact that you guys are getting so much noise is troubling, and it shows how marketing has affected IQ.

The G3/G5 series was very clean at ISO50-200 which is where I used it mostly, and looked just fine at ISO400 when needed.

I was able to take 8-15 SECOND exposures with it at ISO 50 without any need for denoising and these were 2003-2004 camera models.

I of course shot RAW all the time but I had no complaints about quality.

Here are a few longer exposures with the G3 without any noise reduction. I attached the full size link so it looks choppy on the screen image if you don't click it. (websized to 1000 pixels).

3 8 second exposures merged into a panorama (well a 10MP square format pano for upsizing)

I believe this was about 1/4 second

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook