Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 28, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #1 of 78 (5665 views)
Shortcut

the bowline?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK moving this discussion (hopefully) to a proper thread for a (hopefully) proper response.

I have used the bowline knot quite alot in various ways for rigging on boats. I have not seen it used in climbing. I have seen the bowline on a bite (bight?).

My question is does this knot have something about it that makes other knots better in climbing? Or a crucial weakness I am not aware of?

Specificaly I was thinking about the figure 8 and how when tied improperly it can still appear to be ok and hold weight but will slip. A bowline will not appear right and will not hold any weigth at all unless tied correctly. This seems like an advantage to me but I am new and will likely question things like this even after many years of experiance. I am not about to go try it in place of my f8. But my experiance tells me It is a great knot that both holds, is easy to break down even when highly tensioned and wet, and is very safe as it wont close if tied wrong.

Just wondering.

dingus

Jan 28, 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #2 of 78 (5659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MonkeyInTraining] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the experiment I suggested in the other thread - type 'bowline' in the search box and press <enter>.

2000 answers to your questions, maybe one or two of them will be right!

DMT

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 28, 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #3 of 78 (5652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

argh yeah, but i made this just before you gave me that usefull tip :oP

Still last thread is 03. can we talk about it again after 5 years? Or do I gota wait 7?

ja1484

Jan 28, 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #4 of 78 (5641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
argh yeah, but i made this just before you gave me that usefull tip :oP

Still last thread is 03. can we talk about it again after 5 years? Or do I gota wait 7?

Is the knot different now?

james481

Jan 28, 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #5 of 78 (5637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
OK moving this discussion (hopefully) to a proper thread for a (hopefully) proper response.

I have used the bowline knot quite alot in various ways for rigging on boats. I have not seen it used in climbing. I have seen the bowline on a bite (bight?).

My question is does this knot have something about it that makes other knots better in climbing? Or a crucial weakness I am not aware of?

Specificaly I was thinking about the figure 8 and how when tied improperly it can still appear to be ok and hold weight but will slip. A bowline will not appear right and will not hold any weigth at all unless tied correctly. This seems like an advantage to me but I am new and will likely question things like this even after many years of experiance. I am not about to go try it in place of my f8. But my experiance tells me It is a great knot that both holds, is easy to break down even when highly tensioned and wet, and is very safe as it wont close if tied wrong.

Just wondering.

Well, I think the bowline is utilized fairly often in climbing, though certainly not as much as the eight or overhand families, although generally you'll see double bowlines (as in two constricting loops, not a bowline on a bight) as opposed to a single.

The double bowline is often used is anchor rigging, when looping static line around large rocks or trees, because of the ease of tying (you don't have to estimate how much line you need before looping around your anchor point), ease of untying the knot after being heavily loaded, and the ideal loading angle of the knot.

You'll also often see sport and top rope climbers tie in with a double bowline, usually either backed up with a standard double overhand or with what's known as a "Yosemite backup". This knot is favored among those who tie and untie frequently, as it's much easier to untie after being loaded in multiple falls than a figure eight.

It's interesting that you feel the bowline is easier to visually inspect than a figure eight. I think that there is almost universal agreement of the opposite. In fact, many gyms require using a figure eight instead of a bowline for that very reason, the rope path on an eight is much easier to verify than a bowline.

dingus

Jan 28, 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #6 of 78 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The date is sorted by topic I think. A random sampling showed some 2006s and 2007s in there.

Anyway, to summarize: climbers don't use a 'single' bowline all that much, though I myself have seen some old thymrs use it as a primary tie-in, especially the mountaineer variety.

Various forms of the double bowline have been used extensively in rock climbing.

I use a modified double bowline as my tie-in if I'm going to be doggin and hanging and taking short whips, primarily for the ease of the untie. I use it for top roping almost exclusively.

But I go with a figure 8 most of the time, for ease of use, partner familiarlity and that nagging little voice in my head.

Cheers and welcome aboard
DMT

dingus

Jan 28, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #7 of 78 (5621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And to give credit where credit is due, (and perhaps save some other unwitting unnoob from making the same mistake I did)....

twas a sailor who told me the correct pronounciation of 'bowline.'

Gunwale too for that matter, haha.

DMT

Partner j_ung

Post #8 of 78 (5621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The bowline is actually a fairly common climbing knot. You just haven't seen around yet is all. When I see it, it's most often as a tie-in instead of a figure 8 (though it's most often a double in that application), and to fix ropes to BFTs (big fucking trees) and BFRs (big fucking rocks).

(What do they call that effect where, once you become aware of something, you see it everywhere? Anyway, now you'll probably see them all over.)

Ed: Sorry, James and dingus beat me to it. What they said. Smile

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 PM)

Partner epoch

Post #9 of 78 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from Gear Heads to General.

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 28, 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #10 of 78 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the real response you guys. I am a n00b so I will try to learn from all the oh so kind suggestions Wink I read through a few of the older threads and there is some scarey miss information in those!

Someone suggests a bowline will pull into a slipknot with enough force. I have tied bowlines that the pacific ocean could not do this too. There is not much stronger then that!

It is suggested that a bowline will come undone if clipped into and pulled on from somwhere other then directly opposing the knot (i.e. it doesnt make a solid loop it just connects the rope if the pull is from one direction). This is a worry. I believe this could be true. But no actual proof was given just second or third hand opinions (that I could find at least).

I think the bowline is probably harder to visualy inspect, but it doesnt need to be as if you tie it wrong and pull on it it will strip right off. Try it, revers the loop and pull. No knot just pulls right off. A figure 8 with one error in follow will hold... for a while... That is the thing I am thinking about when I wonder about a bowline over a figure 8.

I dont ever just visualy inspect a knot (unless its distant and I am forced too). I feal for the twist in the rope and pull on it. A knot tied over a kink in the rope can look great and come loose. Just the way I learned to go about rope safety.

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Jan 28, 2008, 11:52 PM)

Partner epoch

Jan 28, 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #11 of 78 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bowline quiz time:

True/False
A properly tied Bowline has the "tail" on the outside of the loop.

Now explain your answer.

basilisk

Jan 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #12 of 78 (5571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Bowline quiz time:

True/False

Now explain your answer.

Tests have shown it doesn't matter with climbing ropes

Partner epoch

Jan 29, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #13 of 78 (5554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

basilisk wrote:
epoch wrote:
Bowline quiz time:

True/False

Now explain your answer.

Tests have shown it doesn't matter with climbing ropes
What tests? Where? I don't see any sources for your convoluted answer.

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 29, 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #14 of 78 (5552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Inside is the bowline, outside is the dutch marine bowline. Inside is less prone to snag, outside is supposedly less prone to working end pushing the knot loose.

That is a problem with this knot. In my experiance with it the knot was for the most part loaded so heavily right off that there was no worry of the working end coming through, the worry was cold fingers in cold sea water trying to break a cinched knot in a wet slimey rope :oP

I was fooling with both versions just now and the working end can indeed push the knot loose if it hasnt been cinched tight or backed up.

Edit:of course the f8 can too but not as easily.

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Jan 29, 2008, 12:06 AM)

james481

Jan 29, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #15 of 78 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
Thanks for the real response you guys. I am a n00b so I will try to learn from all the oh so kind suggestions Wink I read through a few of the older threads and there is some scarey miss information in those!

Someone suggests a bowline will pull into a slipknot with enough force. I have tied bowlines that the pacific ocean could not do this too. There is not much stronger then that!

It is suggested that a bowline will come undone if clipped into and pulled on from somwhere other then directly opposing the knot (i.e. it doesnt make a solid loop it just connects the rope if the pull is from one direction). This is a worry. I believe this could be true. But no actual proof was given just second or third hand opinions (that I could find at least).

I think the bowline is probably harder to visualy inspect, but it doesnt need to be as if you tie it wrong and pull on it it will strip right off. Try it, revers the loop and pull. No knot just pulls right off. A figure 8 with one error in follow will hold... for a while... That is the thing I am thinking about when I wonder about a bowline over a figure 8.

I dont ever just visualy inspect a knot (unless its distant and I am forced too). I feal for the twist in the rope and pull on it. A knot tied over a kink in the rope can look great and come loose. Just the way I learned to go about rope safety.

One thing to keep in mind, when using a bowline in climbing, the knot is always backed up in some manner (with a backup knot or Yosemite finish). This isn't because of any strength issues with the knot (as you said, these knots are plenty strong), but because of cyclical loading issues. When repeatedly weighted and unweighed, particularly when tied in dynamic climbing rope, the knot has a reputation for slipping, possibly leading to failure if not properly backed up. I'm not sure if this reputation is deserved or not (I've never seen one slip all that much, but I don't use them very often), but it is certainly enough of a concern that the knot is always (in every situation I've ever seen it used) backed up in some way, just FYI in case you decide to try it for your tie-in.

dingus

Jan 29, 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #16 of 78 (5514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo monkeyintraining you may want to consider a big wall career. You'd find plenty of opportunities for your knot witchcraft! Just don't tie a jug line off with a munter/mule!

DMT

Adk

Jan 29, 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #17 of 78 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I switch between the bowline and the eight all the time.
One reason is to keep up with tying knots. Both knots should be able to be tied blindfolded without question as to their correctness.
I grew up tying boats up with the bowline and learned the eight years later.
Is there a crucial difference in strength?
I'm not sure if there is a difference that would result in a knot failure whereas a human would live with one but die with another if both are tied correctly.

We all do know that an eight is easier to identify and easier to identify if tied incorrectly. Identification when checking a climbing partner is more important than the "look what I can tie" philosophy.
The rabbit is harder to remember than the
"retrace 8"...I guess.Unsure

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 29, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #18 of 78 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to stick with the f8 for tie in. I like knowing why I am doing something especialy if my life is on the line. Thanks for the conversation, it has helped me understand the choice of the figure 8 and the role of a bowline in climbing a little better.

Adk

Jan 29, 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #19 of 78 (5473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
I am going to stick with the f8 for tie in.

That's cool! Climb on!Cool

desertwanderer81

Jan 29, 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #20 of 78 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
The date is sorted by topic I think. A random sampling showed some 2006s and 2007s in there.

Anyway, to summarize: climbers don't use a 'single' bowline all that much, though I myself have seen some old thymrs use it as a primary tie-in, especially the mountaineer variety.

Various forms of the double bowline have been used extensively in rock climbing.

I use a modified double bowline as my tie-in if I'm going to be doggin and hanging and taking short whips, primarily for the ease of the untie. I use it for top roping almost exclusively.

But I go with a figure 8 most of the time, for ease of use, partner familiarlity and that nagging little voice in my head.

Cheers and welcome aboard
DMT

Are you telling me that you don't swoon with admiration whenever you see your partner first tie-in with a bowline with a yosemite backup?!?!!! What's wrong with you!! It's almost as sexy as when you see them pull out an 8 to belay on!

marde

Jan 29, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #21 of 78 (5352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for sportclimbing I use this one

and here the complete thing: http://www.dietmar-hahm.de/...len/anseilen_6.shtml
sorry text is in german but I think the pics clearly show it.
That one is in my opinion one of the safest knots, because its fully redundant.
But I don't know the right name for it in english
do you call that a double bowline??

Partner epoch

Jan 29, 2008, 3:46 PM
Post #22 of 78 (5339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marde wrote:
for sportclimbing I use this one

and here the complete thing: http://www.dietmar-hahm.de/...len/anseilen_6.shtml
sorry text is in german but I think the pics clearly show it.
That one is in my opinion one of the safest knots, because its fully redundant.
But I don't know the right name for it in english
do you call that a double bowline??

No it's not.

It's not redundant if you tie it as pictured.

Now can you tell me why I am saying what I said...

Partner rgold

Jan 29, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #23 of 78 (5323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It isn't a double bowline. The term I have seen is rewoven bowline. The method of tying it depicted on that site, in which one begins with a slip knot which is subsequently capsized, seems pretty silly to me.

I don't think anyone in this country would tie into the harness loop as depicted on the site either.

The rewoven bowline was the only knot other than the figure 8 that the DAV certified in some tests. The issue with the regular bowline was instablility of the knot if the loop was directly loaded, not by way of the standing part of the rope. But this is not an issue for a bowline with the so-called Yosemite finish/double overhand stopper, which wasn't tested.

A distinctive feature of the rewoven bowline is the double loop that has to go through the harness points. If you climb with double ropes, that would be four turns through the harness points---gettin' a little crowded in there...

Bowlines were the only knot used to tie in for somewhere between sixty and seventy years in the US. With an appropriate finish, there's nothing the matter with 'em.

MonkeyInTraining

Jan 29, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #24 of 78 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Off to school...

marde

Jan 29, 2008, 4:29 PM
Post #25 of 78 (5287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:

It's not redundant if you tie it as pictured.

Now can you tell me why I am saying what I said...

It is redundant against getting undone, because its completely doubled up.
If one of "bowlines" (the rewoven part) unties you still have a complete bowline.
That's what I call redundant.

edit:
I talk about the knot, not about where it's tied into.

(This post was edited by marde on Jan 29, 2008, 4:33 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook