RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

richardvg03

Feb 5, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (644 views)
Shortcut

Alaska!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm roadtripping to Alaska! I have a lot of questions. Anybody from there? I plan on roadtripping from San Diego all the way to the artic ocean. I'll be going through fairbanks and taking the dalton highway. Any info will help!

esoteric1

Feb 6, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Alaska! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alaska! where men are men, women are scarce and the goats are nervous.

lucaskrajnik

Feb 9, 2009, 9:57 PM
Post #3 of 5 (602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esoteric1] Alaska! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yo, just buy misquito spray and ull be fine....there nasty here... um...climbing sucks...
I double dog dare u to jump in the arctic ocean...;)

strider

Feb 10, 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #4 of 5 (585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Alaska! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The ESSENTIAL piece of equipment to buy is this..

http://milepost.com/

I can not stress how important the Milepost will be for your trip. Do not ignore this advice, you will find it the most useful thing you carry with you other than your brain. The guide literally gives you mile-by-mile descriptions of EVERY road in Alaska and the roads leading to and from Alaska. Depending on the time of year you go, a lot of facilities will be closed during the slow season and sometimes it is 300+ miles between gas stations which is pretty close to the maximum mileage of most vehicles with a full tank. A couple times when I drove to AK I was running on fumes as I pulled into the gas station. And a few times I had to sleep at the gas station and wait for it to open since it was the middle of the night and they don't have pay-at-the-pump in many rural areas. This is not an issue during peak season because more facilities are open.

BTW the Dalton highway (or the Haul road) is freaking burly! It is generally accepted that you must carry extra fuel, a tire repair kit and a full sized spare (or two full sized spares), a way to inflate the repaired tires, extra vehicle fluids, food and water and a guardian angel. JB weld is also a great thing to have to repair pierced gas tanks and damaged fluid lines. Again this depends on the time of year you go and if they have upgraded the road since I was there in 2004. Peak season sees more traffic and potential help but the Dalton doesn't have as many tourists, mostly natives who will help but probably bitch slap you at the same time for being un-prepared dork from the Lower. Good luck.

Oh and you can't drive to the Arctic Ocean but you can get kinda close. Only commercial tour operators and workers are allowed to drive all the way to the AO. Enjoy Deadhorse, interesting place to be.

-nick

richardvg03

Feb 11, 2009, 3:35 PM
Post #5 of 5 (567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [strider] Alaska! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! I've already ordered the 2008 milepost and I'll be getting the 2009 as soon as it comes out. I already planned on carrying at least 20 gallons of extra fuel with me and I have 2 spares ready to go. Thanks for the information!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook