Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

krusher4

Feb 25, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #1 of 36 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heading to Yosemite soon wanted to know how well The Rock Empire Cams "Robotz" protect the cracks there? Also if anyone knows how well to their micro cams fit in the pin scars? Thank you in advance.

Partner devkrev

Feb 25, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #2 of 36 (10731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure they will work great, buy a double set.

dev

evanwish

Feb 26, 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #3 of 36 (10697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

might get lauged at, but hey i'd take them too! ha

I'm not sure on the pin scars tho...

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2009, 1:56 AM
Post #4 of 36 (10680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a #5 off of ebay for ten bucks. It is the worst cam ever. The action sucks. The head is scarily narrow. and the trigger pinches my finger. You can get trango cams for 50 a piece instead of 38 a piece and they are much better. I still use the Rock Empire cam because I do not have another #3, and it has worked fine.

Craggmire

Feb 26, 2009, 6:59 AM
Post #5 of 36 (10642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
I bought a #5 off of ebay for ten bucks. It is the worst cam ever. The action sucks. The head is scarily narrow. and the trigger pinches my finger. You can get trango cams for 50 a piece instead of 38 a piece and they are much better. I still use the Rock Empire cam because I do not have another #3, and it has worked fine.
guess what? if its the RE Flex (a.k.a Durangos stateside) and you're talking about the Trango Flex they're the same cam, built in the same factory.

I don't know about the the robots but I have Durangos and they're decent...not great, decent. The larger ones do tend to have issues, they're quite the walkers.

Dirtbag it dude! get up the route with your RE's and have as much fun as anyone else with there BDs or WCs. The only thing i'd start upgrading for is better range.

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #6 of 36 (10618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Craggmire] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Craggmire wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
guess what? if its the RE Flex (a.k.a Durangos stateside) and you're talking about the Trango Flex they're the same cam, built in the same factory.

I don't know about the the robots but I have Durangos and they're decent...not great, decent. The larger ones do tend to have issues, they're quite the walkers.

Dirtbag it dude! get up the route with your RE's and have as much fun as anyone else with there BDs or WCs. The only thing i'd start upgrading for is better range.

They are actually not the same cam. The durango is an old version of the flex cam that has really narrow head widths and lacks the refinements of the trango cams.

coolcat83

Feb 26, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #7 of 36 (10613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Craggmire wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

They are actually not the same cam. The durango is an old version of the flex cam that has really narrow head widths and lacks the refinements of the trango cams.

correct the new flex cams are, well, new, I have a set and like them, got mine for $32-34 each on sale, even at retail they are only listed as $44-49 at mgear

krusher4

Feb 26, 2009, 2:29 PM
Post #8 of 36 (10581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the advice everyone. For cams I have 2 sets of the RE including the micro's and 1 full set of BD C4's and 2 4inch WC. I was thinking about buying more C4's but I think I'll just stay where I am. Thanks again

kmc

Feb 26, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #9 of 36 (10559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have overthree sets of cams and are looking to get more? I would think if you have two sets of those cams that you would have a pretty good idea of how well they work in most placements at this point. So with all that gear you will be aiding?

evanwish

Feb 27, 2009, 1:19 AM
Post #10 of 36 (10513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

yeah thats the main problem with their larger sizes.. i rarely rarely rrarely use that cam, but the other issues never seemed to bother me..

adatesman

Feb 27, 2009, 1:53 AM
Post #11 of 36 (10487 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

evanwish

Feb 27, 2009, 2:13 AM
Post #12 of 36 (10471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahaah ohh of course.... i should have thought of that earlier...

ha no really i never thought of that.. really interesting though.. hey i've got an idea for a posible new variation of cam, you wanna make it?

Partner angry

Feb 27, 2009, 4:38 AM
Post #13 of 36 (10419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
If you're not opposed to modifying gear, its not that hard to replace the axle with a longer Metric shoulder bolt like the one used in the Dirtbag Approach to Cam Building over in The Lab. Just throw a couple washers on either side of the head to make up the difference and you're on the way. Probably wouldn't be more than a couple bucks to do it, but obviously voids the warranty... Smile

Doesn't taking the tags off also void the warranty?

evanwish

Feb 27, 2009, 5:08 AM
Post #14 of 36 (10401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funny thing is him replacing the axles probably makes it stronger so no need for the warranty! lol

Partner devkrev

Feb 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #15 of 36 (10379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
adatesman wrote:
If you're not opposed to modifying gear, its not that hard to replace the axle with a longer Metric shoulder bolt like the one used in the Dirtbag Approach to Cam Building over in The Lab. Just throw a couple washers on either side of the head to make up the difference and you're on the way. Probably wouldn't be more than a couple bucks to do it, but obviously voids the warranty... Smile

Doesn't taking the tags off also void the warranty?

Yeah, its just like mattresses, if you take off the tags you are committing a federal offence or something.

dev

johnwesely

Feb 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #16 of 36 (10377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you do that with the comet or only the durango?

johnwesely

Feb 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #17 of 36 (10375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:

Yeah, its just like mattresses, if you take off the tags you are committing a federal offence or something.

dev

It is only a federal offense if you take the tag off before you buy it. You are actually supposed to take the tag off after you buy it, so that people will always know that they are not buying a used bed.

adatesman

Feb 27, 2009, 2:39 PM
Post #18 of 36 (10336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

johnwesely

Feb 27, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #19 of 36 (10308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know why I said comet. I meant the Robot. Looking at the cam right now, It seems that I would have to create a new trigger. That seems like it would be a huge pain so I probably will not try, but I doubt I could make the trigger any worse than it is.

adatesman

Feb 27, 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #20 of 36 (10291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dingus

Feb 27, 2009, 3:50 PM
Post #21 of 36 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That cam in the pic looks exactly like my DMM 4-cam; down to the last detail.

DMT

adatesman

Feb 27, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #22 of 36 (10275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dingus

Feb 27, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #23 of 36 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suspect that's the new 4-cam. Just like with Mal's design, the one you showed above looks like my older DMMs, the previous generation.

No biggie if it is or is not a copy. If a cam goes in a crack, catches a fall and doesn't explode in the process, its got most of the basics in place.

Cheers
DMT

k.l.k

Feb 27, 2009, 4:45 PM
Post #24 of 36 (9251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Rock Empire Cams for Yosemite? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
I suspect that's the new 4-cam. Just like with Mal's design, the one you showed above looks like my older DMMs, the previous generation.

No biggie if it is or is not a copy. If a cam goes in a crack, catches a fall and doesn't explode in the process, its got most of the basics in place.

Cheers
DMT

I'm not down with this. At all. For a start, as you know, there is more to it than will it explode or not-- how smooth the action, how well it places, how well it resists "walking."

More, unless I knew for certain that it was a DMM copy, to DMM specs, with equivalent materials, not sourced from some random, about-to-go-down-the-tubez machine supplier in inner China, and built by someone competent, there's no way I'd save ten bucks on a lowball cam.

I don't know any of those things about RE, and neither, apparently, does anyone else on this thread.

I know that Trango and BD's margins on technical gear are ridiculously low. How are these folks cutting thirty percent off the top?

Maybe they're fine. I don't know anyone who climbs with them.

k.l.k

Feb 27, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #25 of 36 (9243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:

You've got to be kidding me. Some random n00b posts to ask if lowball brand x cams will protect yos cracks and you're advising him to go for it and get all Frankenstein on them?

This guy obviously has no relevant experience-- just look at the question. There is no frickin way in hell that someone who would ask that question-- or other n00b lurkers on a thread like this one-- should be out there picking up random bits of low-end gear and then getting all Les Paul in the garage.

Add on all the disclaimers you want.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook