RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Jun 16, 2009, 8:18 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Micro 4/3s...promising for photographers on the go
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I always liked Olympus, but they were idiots for painting themselves into a corner with 4/3s, yeah the lenses and system are ground up digital, and for a while that was a great selling point, but above 400 iso their sensors are junk, and these days cameras need to be able to shoot at least 1600, if not 3200 to even to be considered credible.

Beyond that the cameras aren't all that small, compared to a regular DSLR. I honestly think the Oly DSLR line is going to disappear, and it's a shame because innovation wise and optics wise they produce a top level camera system. I mean the E3 with a 14-35mm f2.0 is a hell of a camera setup.

However, this camera/system by Oly should keep them around for a while, looks very promising and is a much better design than Panasonics Micro 4/3s system, including the retracting lens. My complaint with Panasonic micro 4/3s is/was that a Pentax K-m or Nikon D40X was actually not much bigger, and the lenses were nearly the same size as well. This camera puts that argument to rest. Plus, the camera looks well laid out. And of course there is the other thing I love about Oly digital cameras, you can use ANY lens (except Canon) on them. So if you see a deal on a Nikkor 400mm or whatever, you can use it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061601olympusep1.asp#images

14-42 f/2.8 (28-80) retractable lens

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook