RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

ninepointeight

Jul 17, 2012, 2:13 AM
Post #1 of 2 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Gunks Accident
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any info on the accident near Dennis in the Trapps this past Sunday?

gblauer

Jul 17, 2012, 2:39 AM
Post #2 of 2 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninepointeight] Gunks Accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

From Gunks.com (I did not write this...I just lifted from Gunks.com)

http://gunks.com/...d_Fall_Cla#Post65905

"I was not a witness to the fall. I was at the top of Dennis and heard the ground fall. Unfortunately I've heard it before and the sound is unmistakable. I downclimbed Radcliffe and was the third person on the scene. One was an EMT who had been guiding two clients on Jackie. He had already instructed the injured's partner to apply direct pressure to the head wound which, over the next 10 minutes was effective in stopping the bleeding. We ran to get the litter and neckbrace and returned with those. At that point more people were showing up and I focused on cleaning up the area so that we could backboard, litter, and carry out as efficiently as possible.

I saw the injured party climbing without a helmet prior to the accident. It did not appear that he had one on during the fall. I am not sure of what happened to cause the fall. I know that his partner was at the base and attempted to stop his fall but I do not know if it was with a lead belay or with a physical spot. The injured had lacerations to his feet and damage to his toes that indicated to me that he likely did not have shoes on. I saw his rope threaded at the top of Jackie about 10 minutes prior and believe (but do not know) that he was injured rapelling (which would be supported by his foot injuries, barefoot, and that he wasnt tied into the rope). However, there was gear on classic so I cant be sure although I think that was another party who lowered off after seeing the accident.

Anyway the injured was very confused and asked what happened about 30 times. He took quite a shot to the head, which is always very serious but seemed to be stable for the 20 minutes it took us to stabilize, backboard, and carry out to the ranger truck. It was also obvious he had injured his right shoulder badly as he was very aware of that pain.

Wishing for him a quick recovery!"

(This post was edited by gblauer on Jul 17, 2012, 3:40 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook