RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

fredylee

Aug 17, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5875 views)
Shortcut

Chalk vs Liquid Chalk
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody ever tried liquid chalk vs regular chalk? Do you notice any difference in performance? Which one would you prefer after trying chalk and liquid chalk?

Any opinions? Thx.

Kartessa

Aug 17, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fredylee] Chalk vs Liquid Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fredylee wrote:
Anybody ever tried liquid chalk vs regular chalk? Do you notice any difference in performance? Which one would you prefer after trying chalk and liquid chalk?

Any opinions? Thx.

Liquid chalk makes a good base but is worthless without regular chalk on top of it.

larwood91

Aug 24, 2012, 2:04 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Chalk vs Liquid Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. Dry chalk is far and away the better option IMO. The bouldering wall I climb at sometimes in my school's rec center requires liquid chalk because I guess they're too cheap to change out their air filters once in a while. Never really had that great of an experience with it. I much prefer the dry.

danger

Sep 3, 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it totally depends on the situation.

Liquid chalk has alcohol that soaks into your skin a bit and dries it on a deeper level than powder chalk, which just absorbs surface moisture.

What that means is that in humid conditions, or if you have moist or soft skin, liquid chalk can make a big difference.

That still doesnt rule out powder chalk- which is more all-purpose. Powder chalk is great if the surface you are touching isn't pristine - if it's a bit moist, oily or dirty, having powder chalk on your hands will absorb it and give you good friction on a less-than perfect surface

dynosnore

Sep 13, 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #5 of 7 (5353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've wanted to try it for a while now because my hands sweat a lot. I found a guide to making liquid chalk but haven't got around to it yet. Does anybody else make it?

(This post was edited by dynosnore on Sep 13, 2012, 11:28 PM)

edge

Sep 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #6 of 7 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosnore] Chalk vs Liquid Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosnore wrote:
I've wanted to try it for a while now because my hands sweat a lot. I found a guide to making liquid chalk but haven't got around to it yet. Does anybody else make it?

I've made it many times; I used to give it to the kids on my USA Climbing team before big comps as a base layer as it was often difficult for them to stop and dip.

I make it in a ziplock bag so you can knead it and get it thoroughly mixed, then cut off a corner and squeeze it into a plastic squeeze bottle.

DemolitionRed

Sep 16, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #7 of 7 (5238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Chalk vs Liquid Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I like liquid chalk is when I am climbing granite and its a steep and rapid climb.
I wouldn't use it on indoor walls because the holds are gritty and will just remove the chalk surface straight off your palms, but then I try not to use normal chalk on indoor walls. I'm usually the one brushing the chalk off and not putting the chalk on.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook