RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rmfclimber

Sep 11, 2012, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 12 (5235 views)
Shortcut

Opinion on first harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well im making the step from being a occasionally climber that rents gear to buying my own to really get into the sport. i looked through 10 pages of threads and didnt really see a thread that related close enough. it will be my first harness and wanted some opinions on some i like and want to make sure i dont get a cheap one that wont last. i just do sport climbing now (top rope mostly) but i want a harness that will last and i can use for awhile to come. right now im really liking the petzl corax II and the misty cadillac, but im not sure i can find them localy and i dont want to buy one online without trying it on and everything first. I know a outdoor company here carries the black diamond harness, and there is also a REI here and i think they had petzl. anyway, any insight to these or others would be great!

billcoe_

Sep 11, 2012, 3:30 AM
Post #2 of 12 (5214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmfclimber] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmfclimber wrote:
Well im making the step from being a occasionally climber that rents gear to buying my own to really get into the sport. i looked through 10 pages of threads and didnt really see a thread that related close enough. it will be my first harness and wanted some opinions on some i like and want to make sure i dont get a cheap one that wont last. i just do sport climbing now (top rope mostly) but i want a harness that will last and i can use for awhile to come. right now im really liking the petzl corax II and the misty cadillac, but im not sure i can find them localy and i dont want to buy one online without trying it on and everything first. I know a outdoor company here carries the black diamond harness, and there is also a REI here and i think they had petzl. anyway, any insight to these or others would be great!

You can do a search. Lots of harness discourse. I'm a big Misty Mt fan. The Cadillac may be the best all-around harness in the world. I just dumped my BD Focus. I had tried on another BD which I didn't like, ,but it was an online deal. Now I'm down to 4 Misty Mountains (2 Circs and 2 Cadillac) and 3 Metolius (2 Waldos and a regular). The Metolius are good harness's as well.

Better than Petzls, Black diamonds and Yates IMO. Your results will vary, so hang in any harness you try on in the store. If they don't have a place to hang in it, ,maybe you should consider another store.

socalclimber

Sep 11, 2012, 4:06 AM
Post #3 of 12 (5207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great advice there. Also, make sure the leg loops are adjustable. Definitely make sure you can hang in that sucker for a spell. I've spent as much as 4 hours in a harness hanging. It's not fun.

I have a Yates and love it. Your mileage will vary.

bearbreeder

Sep 11, 2012, 5:28 AM
Post #4 of 12 (5186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

1. make sure the harness fits you properly, it doesnt matter what the name brand it is or how expensive it is if it dun fit .. try it on in a store

instructions on fit .... http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...o-fit_a_harness.html

2. dont go rush out buying a $$$$$ harness ... just because its expensive doesnt mean its going to last ... ive returned 3 arcteryx harnesses which are basically the most $$$$$ ones you can get because the lower tie in loop blew out, others have had the same issue ... to be absolutely certain buy it from somewhere like backcountry.com, rei, mec which have a no questions asked over the counter swap policy ....

3. for your first harness dont worry about all the fancy features you dont really need, or having one of those ultralight ones ... what you want is something that fits, is reasonably priced, and if you do outdoor climbing 4 gear loops ...

i personally use my old BD momentum harness right now, its lasted for years and longer than 3 arcteryx harnesses, and it cost me 50 smackaroos years ago Wink

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Sep 11, 2012, 5:31 AM)

rmfclimber

Sep 11, 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #5 of 12 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok thanks guys.

i use to play paintball hardcore before selling my gear to pay for college and in that sport you get what you pay for. You buy a $600 marker and you can play some tournys but if you only drop $100 your gun might not make it through the day so i was thinking id rather spend X amount on a harness that will last me a long time than a cheaper one that will wear out fast.
thanks again for the advice.

kennoyce

Sep 11, 2012, 3:55 PM
Post #6 of 12 (5123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmfclimber wrote:

If you're looking for a long lasting harness I'd recommend a Mammut. The fastest wearing part of a harness is the lower tie-in point and mammut's have a beafy plastic piece there to keep it from wearing out.

Check out this one from mountain gear:
Mammut Mirage
You can't beat $35

rsd212

Sep 11, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 12 (5109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:

If you're looking for a long lasting harness I'd recommend a Mammut. The fastest wearing part of a harness is the lower tie-in point and mammut's have a beafy plastic piece there to keep it from wearing out.

Check out this one from mountain gear:
Mammut Mirage
You can't beat $35

Try before you buy. I started with a Mammut, and it still looks brand new after a few years, but I never realized how uncomfortable it was until I switched to a BD Chaos. The rolled edges on the Mammut would always dig into my side.

njrox

Sep 11, 2012, 6:22 PM
Post #8 of 12 (5084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my Corax for cooler weather and when I'm carrying a lot of gear. It's a bit of a beefy harness.

The BD Momentum is pretty popular and a good price. I've had mine for 3 years and it's held up fine. Great for gym climbing, top roping, and light trad.

njrox

Sep 11, 2012, 6:27 PM
Post #9 of 12 (5079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
... ive returned 3 arcteryx harnesses which are basically the most $$$$$ ones you can get because the lower tie in loop blew out, others have had the same issue Wink

Really?

Some dude showed up at the crag a few weeks ago with one of those light as air arcteryx harnesses and ever since I've been thinking of splurging on one.

Wink

herites

Sep 11, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #10 of 12 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved my Petzl Sama, recently switched to a Mammut Togir. Kinda expensive, but I find it perfect. The waist size is smaller than either BD or Petzl, so no more gear knocking om my balls. If you have to tighten the down waist belt as much as possible, then the gear loops will be way too front. I have no experience with Misty (Europe) but a lot of people recommends them here, probably for a reason. Try out a variety of harnesses, choose the one that fits you the best.

shotwell

Sep 11, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #11 of 12 (5041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

njrox wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
... ive returned 3 arcteryx harnesses which are basically the most $$$$$ ones you can get because the lower tie in loop blew out, others have had the same issue Wink

Really?

Some dude showed up at the crag a few weeks ago with one of those light as air arcteryx harnesses and ever since I've been thinking of splurging on one.

Wink

You might look up the weight difference between an arc'teryx harness and a Misty Turbo. Not as much as you might think. Definitely not worth the sacrifice in cost, comfort, or durability.

bearbreeder

Sep 11, 2012, 8:42 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] Opinion on first harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

njrox wrote:

Really?

Wink

the old ones had definite issues, the current generation has beefed up tie in loops and drop seats so they may not have the same problems ...

others have experienced the same issue

http://www.mountainproject.com/...-harnesses/107095866

if you want one my recommendation is to buy it from somewhere like REI where if anything goes wrong you get a new one same day, no waiting for the warranty ...

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook