RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

dlo1

Jan 11, 2003, 4:33 AM
Post #1 of 11 (10257 views)
Shortcut

wrist problems
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently spent a trip out bouldering, and most of it was on slopers. My wrists starting hurting on and off during the trip, and they still hurt afterwards. When I'm pulling on something with an open hand grip they tend to feel like they're going to pull out of the socket and occasionally they pop. Climbing with crimps feels fine. Any ideas what the problem might be or how to strengthen my wrists?

aimeerose

Feb 1, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #2 of 11 (10257 views)
Shortcut

wrist problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not too familiar with wrist injuries yet, but any physical therapist that specializes in hands can help you.

Good strengthening exercises (when your pain has gone away) are wrist curls with a light weight, especially with your palm down to work the "top" of your forearm. Also holding a short bar and rotating your wrist from palm up to palm down (pronation to supination) is good. Don't do them if it hurts though!

mo30dc

Jul 29, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #3 of 11 (9455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlo1] wrist problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, i would also suggest getting it checked by your GP before making any assumptions as to what is causing the problem.

There are many different wrist exercises that you can do to help improve wrist stability including bar hangs, reverse and standard wrist curls but i think you should first focus on wrist stretches to ensure that the joints are adequately warmed up to prevent any further injury.

personally i also supplement with krill oil as it helps lubricate the joints.

good luck

http://www.wristexercisesblog.com/...prevent-wrist-injury

(This post was edited by mo30dc on Jul 29, 2009, 2:27 PM)

onceahardman

Jul 29, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #4 of 11 (9284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mo30dc] wrist problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mo30dc wrote:
Hi, i would also suggest getting it checked by your GP before making any assumptions as to what is causing the problem.

There are many different wrist exercises that you can do to help improve wrist stability including bar hangs, reverse and standard wrist curls but i think you should first focus on wrist stretches to ensure that the joints are adequately warmed up to prevent any further injury.

personally i also supplement with krill oil as it helps lubricate the joints.

good luck

http://www.wristexercisesblog.com/...prevent-wrist-injury

Do you have any evidence supporting krill oil's ability to "lubricate the joints?"

seatbeltpants

Jul 30, 2009, 2:12 AM
Post #5 of 11 (9270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] wrist problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfft - have you ever met a krill with sore wrists? qed.

steve

mo30dc

Jul 31, 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #6 of 11 (9238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] wrist problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hi guys,

I'm no scientist myself but was recommended using krill oil a few years back by a few different folk. Have found good results myself. Here's a link you might wanna check out about the benefits of krill oil.

http://www.rejuvenation-science.com/neptune-krill-oil.html

onceahardman

Aug 1, 2009, 2:05 PM
Post #7 of 11 (9193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mo30dc wrote:
hi guys,

I'm no scientist myself but was recommended using krill oil a few years back by a few different folk. Have found good results myself. Here's a link you might wanna check out about the benefits of krill oil.

After reading your linkie..I agree with you...

You are no scientist.

altelis

Jan 21, 2011, 4:33 AM
Post #9 of 11 (8759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mo30dc wrote:
hi guys,

Though not true in EVERY instance, if looking for reliable health/science information I would AVOID websites with the following:
1) Has ads

2) Is part of a store (ie you can purchase from them directly) or links to a store

3) Is a "dot com" site, not "dot edu" or "dot org"- though of course those endings don't guarantee anything either.

All that said, a really good first-pass source of a lot of health information is from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health-information/. I know, it has ads AND is a "dot com". Everything has an exception.

And as far as that specific site, kinda weird how they say Krill Oil will help maintain lipids levels that are already in the normal range when the FDA has approved Omega-3 Fatty Acids for lipid LOWERING...and still no mention of lubrication of joints...in fact normal healthy joints have very LOW levels of fats. It's really only in diseased joints that you find high levels of fats, so there really isn't any biological plausibility in how taking oil supplements would help with joint lubrication....

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook