RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

lizzyshack

Jan 15, 2003, 4:57 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Anyone headed to Earthtreks from DC?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for someone who drives from DC to earthtreks in Columbia to train during the week, and wouldn't mind giving me a ride. I work days, so free most nights. Happy to help with gas. Feeling trapped in DC!

leaverbiner

Jan 15, 2003, 5:15 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Anyone headed to Earthtreks from DC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried Sport Rock in Alexandria? My recollection is that you can get there from DC on the Metro.

serra_da_leba

Jan 15, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely recommend Sportrock II in Alexandria if you're carless in DC. It's on the Blue Line headed to Franconia Spingfield and the stop is Van Dorn. It's a 5 minute walk from the station to the gym, tops.

moeman

Jan 15, 2003, 5:27 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.sportrock.com/

Acorrding to the web site, "Given the gym's great location next to an exit off I-395 and its 200-yard walk from the Metro", speaking of the Alexandria gym

bsperes

Jan 15, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try Sportrock I in Rockville, it may not be as big as Alexandria, but it is twice as cool.

Partner tim

Jan 15, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, but the staff at SR is (in my experience) rude, and the routes suck compared to Earth Treks.

I'm going to try and make it out to Earth Treks tomorrow night (Thursday) around 7:30pm or 8:00pm to meet some people from the DC outdoor rockclimbing group (how ironic).

If oyu're looking for partners in DC for either SportRock or Earth Treks (or *gasp* actual climbing) you should sign up for the list.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dcoutdoorrockclimbing/

(edit: wrong url on the first try)

[ This Message was edited by: tim on 2003-01-15 09:38 ]

dupree

Jan 15, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd disagree with Tim on SR II in Alexandria. For the most part, the staff are nice folks. The bouldering area alone is worth the price of admission...

Partner tim

Jan 15, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$80 a month to boulder?

I'll admit that the bouldering at ET sucks compared to that at SportRock, but I stand by my contention that the staff is pretty damn surly. If they had some competition locally, maybe they wouldn't gouge and disrespect their customers so much, but my experiences with SRII have been less than stellar, and I've heard the same from several partners who hold memberships. Of course, this is only a small sample of data points, so my opinion is hardly the sort of thing to make a decision based on.

I think the main consideration for most people is going to be proximity.

Incidentally, the Results gym on Capitol Hill (3rd and G St. SE, near the 395 on-ramp) has a pretty big wall for just an ordinary non-climbing gym. If you bring your own rope and draws, and sign the waiver, you can lead; and they have installed an auto-belay device which is nice for running laps. For people that either can't or don't want to commute from DC to Columbia or Alexandria, it is definitely worth looking into.

And memberships are $5/month cheaper than SportRock. Check it out if you live nearby.

http://www.resultsthegym.com/capitol/homepage.html

madriver

Jan 15, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim

SR I and III (Sterling, VA) are different than than Alexandria. They are way cooler and the staff is great. Exception to Abbie and John W. SR III is better in all aspects of climbing than either ET, Columbia and the new Timonium site. The staff and bouldering at Rockville is the best! SR II at Alex. has a rep, but it is mostly due to the clientel.
Alex. is convienant to Metro and easily accessible. The cost is a bit steep, due to the monopoly that (DWE) has on the Wash. D.c area. This to may change! Et has a great staff but the lead, TR, and bouldering at Columbia is not as good as SR Sterling, VA. The new ET at Timonium is better, but not worth the trip when Sterling is closer.

Signed,
Proffesor Plastic or Rock friendly Rock Gym Critic!!

howitzer

Jan 15, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm super astounded that I got a complement here! Thanks bob! (This is Abi from SRII in Alexandria!) heh. I would tend to agree that the staff there has it's issues, but certainly if someone is being rude to you, ask to speak with Scott our main manager to take care of it - you shouldn't be dealing with that when you pay to use our facility. Especially when the pricees have just gone up and it's now extremely expensive to climb there. I'd make the hike to Earthtreks if I wasn't climbing for free at SR since I work there. I PM'd you lizzy, about going to the new EarthTreks in Timonium this weekend if you're interested in meeting up with some of us.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook