RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner russman

Feb 24, 2003, 3:41 AM
Post #1 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Targeted Advertisign on our Site
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In an new and different look to our site, a few of us involved with teh advertising on the site would like to pose this question to all the users (since it will affect everyone).

We are talking about implementing a new "Targeted Advertising" to gain more and much more specific links to gear and sites for all our users.

If you are courious as to what we are talking about, it would be similar to the Google Style AdWords. If you go to Google, adn type in a search foR ROCK CLIMBING, you will see our site at the top :D , but you will also see a link to backcountry store. See it http://www.google.com/...g&btnG=Google+Search here.

We are talking about doing this for all parts fo the site: Forums, photos, routes DB. What are yoru thoguths? Should we do this in another effort to gian revenues for server and upgrades and new deals, or would it just clutter things.

Personally, I like the idea and think that many companies that for example, sell harnesses, can have an AdWord Ad and when someone starts a topic about or talks about harnesses, they can have a link directly to thier harness and you can see it.

What do you think.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 24, 2003, 3:59 AM
Post #2 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Targeted Advertisign on our Site [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I don't like the term "Targeted Advertising." If it's just taking your words and linking them somewhere, go for it. I don't have to click the link unless I want to. If it's actually gonna be something pushing advertising into my lap, like popups, I'll leave the site. Seriously. I literally can't stand popups. They make me really, really mad. If it's just the text links though, like the one for killfile then go for it. :)

apollodorus

Feb 24, 2003, 4:16 AM
Post #3 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can keep the Targeting Advertising low key, it'll be great. RC users can use the website, and not be unduly inconvenienced. And if they want to find HARNESS, then, there it is.

A "LINKS TO . . ." type of T.A. might be even better. After all, giving the users the choice to get to the T&A if they want it, and not have it given to them, a priori, would be nice.

Partner russman

Feb 24, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #4 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cold:

no worry about Pop-Ups...none in anyones future here on this site. Yes, you would be looking at a text based link of no more than like ten words, linking ot a site that has information about thier product.

How many people talk about shoes here? :twisted: When someone starts a thread or talks about shoes, then someone liek MadRocks could have a short direct link to thier shoes, as well as potentially 5-10, Sportivas, and others (if they decide thye want ot pay to get more direct exposure).

We wanted to get some input from all users since no matter who you are, if we implement this and you type in a word that a company has as a key word, then we can get links to thier site to view products.

Thanx for kicking this off

onelung

Feb 24, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #5 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Russman,
Thanks for asking, You guys gotta do what it takes to make it profitable and stay online for a while so Yea I am in favor of the google style links.
Pop ups suck and I bet you even agree with that.
The sponsor links or googleesque type are not so in your face, easy to take advantage of, and they will likely get a higher click thru % than the advertiser is use to.
Ho'oMau,
Bill

Partner coldclimb

Feb 24, 2003, 4:21 AM
Post #6 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds cool. In some cases, one wouldn't even have to ask the question, but could just type "shoes" and post it, and would get the good links. It would help some people, and to keep the site wealthy, it's worth a bit of extra text. :) And if we don't like it, we could always remove it too, right?

Partner coldclimb

Feb 24, 2003, 4:33 AM
Post #7 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In some cases though, it can be good to look at your screen and correct errors before posting. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

theooze

Feb 24, 2003, 3:00 PM
Post #8 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Russ, have you noticed any changes in site traffic while the site's been sick? Seems awful quiet :?

Partner russman

Feb 24, 2003, 3:12 PM
Post #9 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just looked Ooze. The stats for the past week are a little down, but not bad. Maybe only 20,000 page views a day. We are still ontrack to end this month (short month by about 2-3 days worth of stats), at just under 3 Million page views for this month.

Taken into count that we are right at or over about 100,000 page views a day, add in another 3 dyas of that and we would have our 3rd month in a row of over 3 Million page views.

I think the site may be "quiet", but there are just as many people trying to learn and look at the new look of the site, they might not be posting as much. Each day the site gets a little more like normal adn things will be back.
Thanx for the info and help, Please keep giving me info.

bakedjake

Feb 24, 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #10 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think anything you do to increase ad revenues is a good. I imagine that between the amount of traffic and the sites stickiness we should be valuable real estate.

weaselman

Feb 24, 2003, 3:42 PM
Post #11 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If it's just taking your words and linking them somewhere, go for it. I don't have to click the link unless I want to. If it's actually gonna be something pushing advertising into my lap, like popups, I'll leave the site. Seriously. I literally can't stand popups.

if anyone does like popups, then they can go here:http://www.b3ta.com/...-internet-simulator/

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Feb 24, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #12 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tito,

The bill to host the website last month was almost $600. I would be more than happy to remove all ads forever, if you would kindly send me a check for $600 every month. If you don't like it, you can always go somewhere else.

Trevor

coach

Feb 24, 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #13 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is a good idea to help generate some much needed revenue but at the same time I would caution on how it is implemented. If I am in the beginner forum and post a question about "shoes" and that keyword provides me with a link to a site on shoes that would be fine but if I was in community and used the word "shoes" in a post I really wouldn't like to get a text ad show up. Good idea for certain forums but not for all!

Not sure what rates you would charge for this but I do a lot of advertising (keyword ads) with both Google and Overture and can attest to the fact that they can bring in a lot of money (based on what we are paying for them!).

Climb On

wv5ten

Feb 24, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #14 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its a good idea, and helpful as well. Now if only we could work on a rc.commers discount from linked stores ;)

biff

Feb 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #15 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

I would like it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I would like to have the links on the left hand side of the page, in small boxes like on Google. This would bring back the whitespace that I miss.

I just think that with the text filling the window (like it is right now) I see too much text, and I seem less interested in reading all the text. White Space is good.

Partner matt

Feb 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #16 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm for the site making more money, and if we can do that through AdWords, I don't have any objections.

At the same time, we have the auto linking feature, so where will these boxes appear? The last thing anyone wants are advertisements cluttering up the screen.

Partner russman

Feb 25, 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #17 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was talkign to Trevor about this, he was thinking of some sort of block toward the top (close to the title of all threads) that would have a small description of the comapny and thier link to the site.

As far as as links in all areas, Coach, I think you are proablay right. links in the Community might not go over well. We may have to target them even more to specific forums.

Good thoughts, keep them coming.

calpolyclimber

Feb 25, 2003, 3:25 AM
Post #18 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is completely unrelated... but for those of you who said you hate pop ups, you can download free things that kill popups. I got one called Ultimate Popup Killer off Download.com. It works great. The only problem is that it also kills things that are supposed to open in a new window (no big deal, just right click and hit "Open in new window") Hope this helps somebody....somehow.... :idea:

~Alex

Edit: I can't type...

Partner matt

Feb 27, 2003, 1:17 AM
Post #19 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alex,

Try Webwasher instead; much easier to use, and you can turn it off with the click of a button so you can open those legit windows, then reengage it with another click of the mouse to continue the script filtering.

Matt

Partner philbox

Feb 27, 2003, 1:50 AM
Post #20 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`m trying to think of a scenario that would work for targetted advertising. How about this and of course this may be axactly how you are thinking anyway but bear with me as I work this through in my head.

So I cruise over to the aid climbing forum and I wanna ask a question about say russian Aiders. So I whack the question up for all to se and lickety split up there in lights is a direct link to Russ Wallings Fish Products site and the link of course would take me direct to the apropriate page that details all I ever wanted to know about the Russian Aiders that Russ has been working on.

Yeah I think that could work.

Here`s another one, Cams, would you have multiple gear companies vieing with each other for the privilege of enlightening us with their latest and greatest or would you simply go with the highest bidder regardless of quality. Now there`s some situational ethics for ya. Mebbe a rotation of various cam manufacturers would be the go there. This would be the case for shoes, ropes and lots of other non specific products.

...Phil...

Partner russman

Feb 27, 2003, 2:25 PM
Post #21 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil

You pretty much got it right, only (shhhh, dont tell, but I think Russ will start major ads with us very soon :D shhhh)

As far as the Cams senario or rope, quickdraws, boulderingpads....

Not sure right now, Google does it as the Highest bidder along with a major formula...I think we will more than likley put up a number of them. The one thing we were talkign about is putting them on the top of the screen moving from Left to Right, so there would not be a #1-#7 ranking and the ones at the bottom woudl be missed all teh time, but you woudl be able to see al those who have ads with us. i like that idea better

Partner philbox

Feb 27, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #22 of 22 (932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as we don`t get encyclopaedie ads and the spy camera ads and all those other bogus type ads. definitely needs to be kept related to what we do here. But of course you guys are smart enough to have already made that decision.

...Phil...

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook