RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

buckyllama

Apr 1, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #1 of 2 (807 views)
Shortcut

Minolta Maxxum 5 with what lens?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so I'm in the market for a new system. Up until a few months ago I had a decent enough nikon system with a 6006, an FM-10 and a small collection of lenses. But since it was technically owned by my now-ex (even if I did buy all of it :cry: ) well you know...

Anyway so now I'm looking at the Maxxum 5 and trying to pick a good lens for climbing use. In addition to generally having the features I want I like the Maxxum 5 because it is so small and light and I'd like a lens which has similar properties. Obviously the faster the better, but I'm poor at the moment so price is a big objection. The top two lenses I'm looking at at the moment are the sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 and the 24-70 f3.5-5.6. Any thoughts on these lenses? Any other suggestions?

krillen

Apr 1, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 2 (807 views)
Shortcut

Minolta Maxxum 5 with what lens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a minolta 70-210 that comes in VERY handy. In conjunction with a fixed 28mm in Red Rocks and Bishop I came back with quite a few nice photos.

personally I'd opt for the 24-70, mainly because I like a slight distortion to the outside of my shots, however if it's aspherical you might as well go for the 28-70 and the extra speed it gives.

Zooms are nice, but for the price of those lenses, I'd get a fixed wide angle lens and an older zoom. It'll give you more options. Also if you aren't worried about AF then you can pick up some good glass for mucho cheap.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook