RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

onamission116

Apr 3, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Nikon N80
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I am trying to get into climbing photog., and am preparing to get my first SLR to take along on my trip to Y Valley this summer. The Nikon N80 was highly recommended to me by another photog. Have any of you ever used it? Any comments/ suggestions on film and lenses would be much appreciated. :)
Cheers, Matt

yotrepo

Apr 11, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Nikon N80 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello fellow Maine-iac!
I went through the same deliberation two years ago before a trip to Africa. I ended up with the Canon EOS Elan 7 (i think thats the name...) and LOVE it (maybe too much, it's gotten quite a beating). Nikon makes much nicer lenses, but the Canon has faster focusing speed and has a quieter shutter action. They have a couple different "extras" but both will basically give you the same kind of set-up... a mid-range SLR. The big reason I went with the Canon is it felt better in my hands (I found the the N80 body a bit small) and easier to use, esp. auto-focusing.
Most important thing is to get a nice lens. I got a Sigma 28-105mm lens. It doesn't focus as fast as the Canon, but is 'faster' (i.e. the aperature range is 2.0-4.0 as opposed to 3.5-6.8 on the Canon... something like that).
One point-- I am really happy with it, but rarely take it crag climbing b/c I'd rather focus on leading pitches than snapping photos. I bring a disposable (but want a really slim digital) and save the SLR for very aesthetic, faraway climbs; travelling; hiking, etc.
Good Luck!
p.s. Slide film or nice B&W (not the shit that can be developed in the same machines as color film)! Bring a tri/monopod to the Valley!

rwaltermyer

Apr 11, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Nikon N80 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GO WITH THE N80! Its great. I've used lots of Nikon gear, including the F5, the professional grade model. The N80 has some of Nikons latest innovations, including on demand grid system and light up focusing area.

My only complaint is that the focusing is a bit sluggish...but thats compared to the phenonmenal F5 focusing system which is the best in the business.

In summary invest in a good lenses, i'd recommend the Nikkor 24-85mm f2.8-4 for maximum versatility (wideangle as well as a good portrait lenses!) and you'll be happy with your investment!

randy

adeptus

Apr 15, 2003, 8:24 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Nikon N80 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m thinking about buying a N80 with a standard 28-80, but also consider a N55, because it has all the features I’m looking for except AE-lock and it’s 300 dollars cheaper. Then I could use the extra money on a good wide-angle lens.
Is the N80 body the extra money worth if only using a cheap lens?

rwaltermyer

Apr 15, 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Nikon N80 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't go with the N55. The N80 has duel dials to change both shutter and aperature at the same time. On the N55, you need to hold down a button to change the other...and if you're serious about shoting you know how much of a pain that can be.

Secondly, I'm sure that the Auto focusing is slower on the N55. Let me say that my only complaint about the N80 is that its AF is occasionly sluggish. Other than that the N80 rivals any pro film camera as far as the innovations they've put into it (on demand grid lines, enlumened AF spots). I would go with the N80. But don't settle for some cheap factory 28-80 f.5.6 - 6.7 or something if you really want a good wide angle.

Or if you are going to settle for that. Invest in a 24mm lenses. but the best combo (which i'm obviously bias towards) is the 24-85mm f2.8-4

good luck.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook