RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

benkiessel

Jun 28, 2003, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Frozen Leather Boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last winter i was on a multiday ice climbing trip and had my leather boots for the trip. At night my leather boots would freeze and in the morning it would be a pain in the a$$ getting my foot in them. So my question is, is there any way to prevent the freezing at night? Don't say put them in my sleeping bag because that is not going to happen. And i know that if i got plastic boots that i could take the liners out, but i don't have the cash to drop on plastic boots. Any ideas? Thanks.

majid_sabet

Jun 29, 2003, 8:08 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Re: Frozen Leather Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:twisted: drop a heat bag in the boot 30 min before using it, that should keep it warm for 5 hours or so, make sure the boot is not wet otherwise you are going to deal with ice build up.plastic boots is the other option for snow and ice.

thedesertnomad

Jun 29, 2003, 2:04 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once they are frozen... it is such a pain. After 3 or 4 times of that I just went out and bit the bullett and got some Koflachs. Plastics are the way to go, and you will thank yourself over and over for them.

With your leathers, an ounce of prevention is better than pound of cure, so... if you have the room, put them in a WATERPROOF bag and sleep with them at your feet in your bag (sucks, but it's better than "ice foot") if that's not an option, get an MSR dromedary bag (or a hot water bottle) and boil water right before bed, put them in a bag with the water bag. Try to keep them wrapped in a jacket or something for insulation and depending on the temp, the water might keep them above freezing all night.

coclimber26

Jun 29, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use nalgene bottles to keep my boots in order. Use boiling hot water (or snowmelt) in a nalgene in each boot then I put the boots in my bivy liner. If you put a sock over the nalgene it dries your socks out and your boot is usually warm in the morning. If I have time or it's extra cold I use an extra nalgene with sock over it in my sleeping bag. Nothing like a 5-6 hour foot warmer to make a subzero bivy better....

sancho

Jun 29, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bother with the heat pack/handwarmer idea - those things just don't put off enough heat to be of use when it's cold out. :roll:

Putting the boots in a garbage bag/waterproof bag and inside your sleeping bag is a good - albeit uncomfortable idea. The hot water bottel inside the boot is a great one too, just a bit of a hastle when you want to go to sleep...

One thing I do is as soon as I get out of the tent, put the boots on, but without lacing them (or keeping them very loose, at least). At the same time, I have a second pair of socks inside my jacket. I let the boots gradually warm up while making breakfast, packing, etc... Then, when I am ready to go, switch the socks (the first pair seems to get damp for some reason), and things usually aren't too bad. I think the previous day's moisture in your boot is what freezes and transfers to the first pair of socks....

Just my $.02

thedesertnomad

Jun 29, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it gets truly sub zero... you shouldn't have any problem as long as you packed in a microwave or a flamethrower. The last time I wore my leather Raichle's when thw temp was -15, once they absorbed the sweat and moisture , they froze up while on my feet. After a night of struggling to keep everything warm, they were even worse. I had to bail on the trip a day early due to frozen feet. Nothing could keep up with the cold. It was miserable, but 2 days later, I had a brand new pair of plastic boots (one of the all time greatest purchases of my life) it has been 7 years since then and they STILL feel like I am wearing bedroom slippers up to 25 below zero!!!

trust me, if you are spending time in the cold.... go for it. The "booty factor" alone makes everything better. You can sleep in them and plastic shells alone can't really freeze.

urbansherpa

Jun 30, 2003, 2:46 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Frozen from inside, or out? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the Adirondacks last year and my buddy put his over his MSR stove. It thawed them out pretty fast but this can do irreparable damage to the boots....so DON'T put them over a stove.

I, on the other hand, had used some VBL's (bread bags) inside the boots.
This stopped any condensation from soaking into the boot...and they stayed dry. My damp socks were bone dry by morning.

I've tried the boiling Nalgene deal, but by morning the water was frozen solid. Same with the chem heating things...not enough heat.

I've since bought some Lowa plastics for extended snow/ice

neversurfaced

Jun 30, 2003, 4:20 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Re: Frozen from inside, or out? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had to thaw out my leather boots on the MSR more than once. Never had a problem damaging them, just pay attention. I have however burnt the crap out of my boots at the campfire at night trying to dry them out after too much tequila. Bummer!

the_iowan

Jul 1, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Re: Frozen from inside, or out? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't worry about trying to "thaw" out your boots - stop the moisture in the first place with VBL's. most of the moisture in your boots is coming from your feet (so long as you have sealed the uppers). not to mention they add some warmth by stopping evaporative heat loss.

maohaihuang

Jul 2, 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use VLBs. put boots in bivy/sleeping bag. use super gators.
if it is so cold that these don't really heap, you really should
use plastic boots. generally plastic boots have better weight
to warmth ratios than leather.

benkiessel

Jul 2, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone i think i will just end up getting a pair of plastics before next winter.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook