RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

roclymber

Jan 31, 2002, 3:13 PM
Post #1 of 4 (790 views)
Shortcut

The financial aspect of it all-
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

just out of curiousity, is it really feasible to live off of rock climbing as a profession or career, if your that good at it. I know there are super stars like sharma, and so forth, but how easy would it be to successfully make it a career. last time i checked, climbing wasn't as popular of a sport, and doesnt pay as much as most others. If anyone is a regular comp climber, can you tell me if thats what your profession is, or you try to make it your profession, or you do something on the side, and still comp climb. tell me also what on the side you do for a job. Thanx, and much luck to you on your climbs

matt

amethyst

Jan 31, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #2 of 4 (790 views)
Shortcut

The financial aspect of it all- [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhhhh, the stuff dreams are made of.

spank_spank

Jan 31, 2002, 3:51 PM
Post #3 of 4 (790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I believe you can make a profession out of it. I beleive a lot of them have to be creative at it though. For instance, Sharma makes plenty of money off his sponsors. Most climbers are not like that though. Most climbers set competition routes, guide, travel around country doing slide shows, and they get paid to do this. The good thing being sponsor is that the gear is paid for (for the most part) and you just have to come up with enough money for travels.

jcclimber

Mar 20, 2002, 7:35 PM
Post #4 of 4 (790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am friends with several full time sponsored climbers. Brittany Griffith, who I will use as an example has been climbing full time for several years. Her large sponsors include metolius, mammut, and five ten. Brittany travels all around the world, climbing and climbing and climbing. She does get free gear, and most of her travels are covered. However, as she puts it, "I don't even have enough(extra) money to buy a CD." So, yes, you can make a proffesion out of it, but full time sponsored climbers don't have lots of money, nor do they live nicely. They have just enough to eat, drive, and climb, and that is all that matters to them!

Jake out

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook