RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wandering_dusk

Sep 14, 2003, 11:08 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Wild Things EP Windshirt vs. Marmot DriClime
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about the Wild Things EP Windshirt or the Marmot DriClime... I am looking at incorporating them into a lightweight mountaineering system, and would like some feedback...

Thanks,
Ryan

bsperes

Sep 14, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wild Things EP Windshirt vs. Marmot DriClime [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

someone raved about the Wild Things in one of the many recent softshell threads. search and ye shall find

ropeburn

Sep 14, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have any experience with the wild things windshirt but I have a driClime and I love it. It can repel light rain and heavy wind fairly easily. It weights next to nothing and packs down small. I shove it in a small stuff sack and clip it to my harness on cooler multipitch climbs. DriClime gots my two thumbs up.

:mrgreen:

jackscoldsweat

Sep 14, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i too have and recommend the marmot driclime. Not only is it light, packs small, but it is equal to a 200 weight fleece's insulating properties and it can also be used as a vapor barrier.

JacksColdSweat

jhump

Sep 14, 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually wear them both in the same system. I put an ultralight polypro first, then the driclime (it is really an EMS windshirt but is exactly the same), then the EP Hooded Windshirt over everything. My wildthings Belay Parka rounds out the setup when things get ugly.

This rig took years for me to find and is the lightest and most breathable I have tried. I wholeheartedly recommend it. One change I am considering is scotchguarding the back of the driclime to make it a vbl so the insulation on my back doesn't get soaked. Or I may throw the 2 oz golite vbl vest under the driclime (sounds like a better idea).

I tuck my light polypro and driclime inside my bibs and this is often warm enough without the hooded EP. This results in a clean, unencumbered waistline and nothing to come untucked from my harness. Donning the EP means tucking into harness, but it's cut long enough for me and stays tucked. PM me for any other questions about this rig.

Jeremy

crackboy

Sep 15, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the Marmot Driclime Arrow windshirt, which really isn't a shirt but a jacket.

i love the thing, its light, breathes well, and packs pretty easily into its own pocket.

it would be good for layering. it relys a lot on you making up heat since it isnt the warmest thing, and you will feel a stiff cold breeze, but overall its worth it. there was a review of it on gunks.com a little ways back , you should be able to find it easily

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook