RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 27, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Currahee Thursday (Oct 30th) ???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have Thursdays off here at my job in SC, and will be at Currahee Thursday to climb with a few climbers from the site... Anybody else up for a little cragin ???

I have free RC.com stickers. :lol:

scclimber

Oct 27, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Currahee Thursday (Oct 30th) ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i could be available.
who else is coming?

styndall

Oct 27, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could come out, but I've been up there once and could not for the life of me find the cliff. Nice place to sit and enjoy the scenery, sure, but that's all I got to do.

ridgerunner

Oct 27, 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I could come out, but I've been up there once and could not for the life of me find the cliff. Nice place to sit and enjoy the scenery, sure, but that's all I got to do.

After all that trail work we did? Walk around the left side of the antennae.

styndall

Oct 27, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

After all that trail work we did? Walk around the left side of the antennae.

Crap. I guess I'm just an idiot. I mostly looked around by that overlook with all the spraypaint on the boulder. Scrambled halfway down that slab, and decided it was the wrong way. I worked around a bit from there, right, past the short cliffband (some of which looks like interesting bouldering, btw).

I totally whiffed on finding the trail. Maybe I'll see you guys thursday.

ridgerunner

Oct 27, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's another trail down to the brick wall on the right of the road next to the parking lot. It'll eventually be closed.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 27, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i could be available.
who else is coming?

You better be available... I'll need a partner, so I'm counting on you. Plus, gonna hit the Trad side of it at Brickyard, so you can get your first Trad lead in if you like brutha.

Matt (mattdog) who also goes to Trailhead will be there... I've been PMing with him, and he's even gonna bring my crashpad from the gym where Meg or Nick left it after the comp for me to pick up.

scclimber

Oct 27, 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll be there. i didn't know if you had something else lined up or what.

the easiest route over there is a .9. that would be a hard first lead. we'll see.

nbrown

Oct 28, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #9 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah there are only 2 5.9's over there and they both would pretty much take only big cams not many people lead anything over there besides epidemic and pigs on the wing which are both sport.

shaggyj

Oct 28, 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been to Curahee in a few years. But if you are looking for a swinging good time on Saturday night. Talluah (sp) has a weekly saturday night blue grass festival during the fall months. Inquire at the gas station near 123

scclimber

Oct 28, 2003, 1:06 AM
Post #11 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah there are only 2 5.9's over there and they both would pretty much take only big cams not many people lead anything over there besides epidemic and pigs on the wing which are both sport.

well damn, i was looking forward to that. i guess i will have to try to lead the .10b. haha, yeah right.

willstrickland

Oct 28, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #12 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You want trad at Curahee, I got three words for ya: Smooth as Silk.

Located on the far right end of the main cliff. Crux is low, make sure your first piece is good (#2 walnut will do the trick).

Jesus Lives looks better than it is, if you decide it's in your interest to climb this, tape well, the inside of the crack is like J-tree cheese grater. The 5.9 OW is actually fun...if you enjoy OW.

Your best bet is to just skip this chosspile altogether and go to Tallulah where the rock is bomber, the scenery gorgeous, the road won't destroy your car, and the routes are great. Yonah would be my second choice in the area. The stuff in SC (Table Rock) puts Curahee to shame.

mattdog

Oct 28, 2003, 2:40 AM
Post #13 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your best bet is to just skip this chosspile altogether and go to Tallulah where the rock is bomber, the scenery gorgeous, the road won't destroy your car, and the routes are great. Yonah would be my second choice in the area. The stuff in SC (Table Rock) puts Curahee to shame.

CHOSSPILE? Dude, where have you been climbing? Currahee ain't as big as the Rockie's or anything, but its got an awesome about of climbing for an eenie weenie little area. There's a bunch of great slabbing, and just on the other side of the mountain are some vertical climbs that are pretty sweet too.

I live in SC, and let me tell you there's about as much to climb in South Carolina as there is text on this line past this period.

That's right, nothing at all. Table Rock its illegal to climb, bro.

Currahee's great... don't diss my local crag! ;-)

My wife and I will be there with Adam 9ish... we'll all share ropes.

tradpuppy

Oct 28, 2003, 3:25 AM
Post #14 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curahee ain't bad. Jesus Lives at the Brick Wall would be fine for you Blake, just plug it up if you need to. The Slab Area has some easy bolted routes with a nice view while you're climbing. The start of No Name crack is like ice and Offwidth is...well, quite awkward.

scclimber

Oct 28, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will try that.

wait, that's .10c. sounds hard.

ahotasu

Oct 30, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #16 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i think i'll come out to participate in the fun activities! i'm a pretty new climber -- did my first lead on a 5.6 there last time i was out!

i need another trip; my partner has been slacking lately so i'll hopefully be out there!

willstrickland

Nov 28, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
CHOSSPILE? Dude, where have you been climbing? Currahee ain't as big as the Rockie's or anything, but its got an awesome about of climbing for an eenie weenie little area. There's a bunch of great slabbing, and just on the other side of the mountain are some vertical climbs that are pretty sweet too.

Table Rock its illegal to climb, bro.

Currahee's great... don't diss my local crag! ;-)

Where have I been climbing? Started right there in GA: Lost Wall, High Point before it closed, Yonah, Curahee,Tallulah, poached routes in Cloudland, also hit Foster, Sandrock, LRC, Linville, Sunset, Starr, LookingGlass, Seneca, Carderock/Great Falls, Gunks, NRG, RRG before moving west. Then it was all over Utah, CA, OR, WA, little bit in CO. I've been around a little....

Point is, if you're driving from SC, you have to go basically right by Tallulah, which is FAR superior to Curahee in every respect. I'm sorry, but four decent squeeze job slab routes and some former sport/currently chopped TR lines on a 35ft wall do not make a "great" crag. The "don't knock it until you tried it" argument doesn't work on me because I've climbed all the trad routes there...including the left line on the Brick Wall with the thin seams, and all the slab routes as well as a couple of sport routes that still had bolts...some offbalance .10b thing on the Brick Wall, a thing called Arbor something. That occupied all of three half-day trips.

Don't take it the wrong way, I love slab climbing and the area is worth maybe a visit or two if you live in the area and have checked out the other areas, but for rrrAdam, who was apparently on a short visit, and who could (from my understanding of his experience) handle it, Tallulah would be the ticket. Steep, bomber, multipitch quartzite,with fantastic climbing, in a gorgeous setting, with few, if any, other climbers and a variety of excellent routes from 5.8 to harder than most people can onsight.

And FWIW, my understanding is that it is NOT illegal to climb at Table Rock. There are peregrine closures on during the summer...which, since it's south facing, should be irrelevant...you don't want to be there in the summer. The following is from the SECC:

If you want to climb at Table Rock, you can visit between the months of August and December (although we strongly recommend waiting until November and December sine the wall bakes like no place else in the South). Table Rock is closed for peregrine falcon nesting from Jan. 1 through early August. You’ll also need to sign in at the park office before you climb. The park opens daily at 8 a.m. There is no trail map, so be sure to ask the park rangers for directions to the trailhead. The hike is steep, strenuous and unmarked. On your first visit, plan for at least two hours and consider bringing a USGS topo map.

Enjoy.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 28, 2003, 9:35 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Steep, bomber, multipitch quartzite,with fantastic climbing, in a gorgeous setting, with few, if any, other climbers and a variety of excellent routes from 5.8 to harder than most people can onsight.

My kinda place. :wink:

I think climbing is allowed at Table Rock between Oct and Dec, but there is not much there.

So far, Linnville, Ship Rock, Looking Glass, Rumbling Bald, and Sunset in Tn have been great this trip. Currahee is good when I don't have a lot of time, and only climb for a half day. Tullula is on the tick list.

nbrown

Dec 1, 2003, 4:29 PM
Post #19 of 19 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah I think you can climb on table rock from late sptember to I think late december. they only have a topo for one route which is Stone Wall Action which is 5.11 mixed route and supposed to be really good I have a topo of it if anyone wants me to e-mail it to them.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook