RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

ktclimb

Oct 28, 2003, 4:31 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Ithaca NY
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am living in the Ithaca area, and am looking for climbing partners and/or beta about climbing/bouldering around here! I tried to go to the gym at Cornell, but I was told I needed to take a course with them first before I could use the gym. I lead now at around 5.7, and can follow at around 5.9-5.10. Currently I am not working either, so I have a lot of time on my hands.!!! :D

cnyclimber

Oct 31, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ithaca NY [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure about the Ithaca area, but there is a place called little falls near Utica.

nikdemeis

Oct 31, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm from about an hour away but there is some climbing in watkins glen and syracuse but i'm not sure where. I saw someone else post it and i messaged them and hopefully i'll find out soon. I'm sure there has to be some climbing down there with all the gourges, i've never really looked, but there it little falls as cnyclimber said and rock ventures in rochester, but i wouldn't recommend traveling 2 hours to get there. If i find out where the climbing is in watkins and syracuse i'll let you know.

sligoblues

Oct 31, 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just head for the Gunks. I grew up in Syr. and to the best of my knowledge, Little Falls is the closest climbable rock. Even down there in the gorges, there's rock everywhere, but it's all just too brittle. My geology stinks, but I think it's shale. I learned how to climb at Rock Ventures in Rochacha, it's not a bad gym but pretty far for you to drive. It would definitely be worth your while to just frequent the Gunks instead.
Good luck and enjoy the winter. I sure miss it.

sligoblues

Oct 31, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, and I also exchanged emails with a kid who was working on a bouldering area just north of Little Falls, before the adirondack's. He said it had a lot of "potential" but I haven't been back to check it out. Maybe someone on RC has more info?

pico23

Nov 1, 2003, 5:18 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been to little falls but a partner of mine climbed there and said that there is maybe a days worth of climbing overall. I'm not sure how accurate that is but he seemed pretty down on little falls.

Partner tim

Nov 1, 2003, 5:27 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I haven't been to little falls but a partner of mine climbed there and said that there is maybe a days worth of climbing overall. I'm not sure how accurate that is but he seemed pretty down on little falls.

He probably hadn't hit the Dihedrals area or was climbing solid 5.12 and higher. If you're in the 5.8 to 5.11 range leading on gear, there is a good selection of routes in Little Falls, and it tends to be less crowded than the Gunks.

A lot of people think that Moss Island == Little Falls. This is BS and it will color your perception negatively. There are some fun leads over at the Dihedrals and elsewhere in the area, and it's only about 2 hours from Ithaca. The Gunks are 3 1/2 hours away and can be horribly crowded on the moderate routes (unless you climb at Millbrook or the Nears :-)).

melanie

Nov 4, 2003, 2:48 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am living near Utica and I am also looking for some people to climb with. I'm new in the area but I was in Little Falls once. I mean it is not really big area, but for a day it is enough fun. There is a climbing wall at Hamilton college, but there you also have to do some courses before you are allowed to climb...... :x, what a bullsh.....

Now that the winter is coming probably ice climbing could be an alternative. I don't know if there are any possibilities. I haven't tried this yet. If you have time let me know.

cnyclimber

Nov 5, 2003, 2:28 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought new crampons, and plan on learning a little ice climbing being safe and toproping for awhile. If you have gear--pm me, I'm always trying to find people to climb with. I just got the guidebook for little falls also. Great place to learn how to trad climb, and excellent toproping opportunities.

nikdemeis

Nov 5, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want ice climbing there is some in canandaguia and bristol. I can't find the link right now but i remember seeing it. I'll post it when i find it again

rmwillemsen

Nov 5, 2003, 3:45 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo homes-
There's loads of climbers here, you will have plenty of partners. I climb at the cornell gym lots, and the deal is that you have to be either a member of the cornell community or get something called personal climbing instruction, which lasts two hours, and costs $38, it is a kind of orientation thing for insurance purposes. No climbing in the area besides the gym and a whole load of woodies. People hit the gunks every weekend, its a 3 hr drive. My email is ryan_willemsen@yahoo.com. Drop me a line, and come by the gym sometime.
Paz

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook