RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mauta

Feb 22, 2002, 2:55 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Unused runners and their duration
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

i have 6 CASSIN runners (2500 kg of breaking strenght), COMPLETELY UNUSED, but 6 years old (this happened because i bought them and then give up the climbing activity inmediately for 5 years, so they do not have even a single use).
They were stored appropiately, and of course they look as if they were new ones.
My question:
Is is safe to use them or should i throw them away?

JUAN

wigglestick

Feb 22, 2002, 3:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Unused runners and their duration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the standard response:
If you don't feel comfortable with the runners than don't use them. They would be cheap to replace and then it wouldn't even be an issue. You life is not worth the 15-20 bucks it would take to replace them.

But here is my answer. I have runners that I have had for more than 6 years and they have been used extensively. I should probably replace some of them but I haven't noticed any signs of serious wear or anything like that. So if these runners were stored properly and didn't come into contact with battery acid, ultraviolet light for long periods of time, or any other nasty substance than they should be fine. That is just my opinion though. If in doubt just buy new ones.

miagi

Feb 23, 2002, 12:50 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should be able to use them. Its not like the material dissolves over the years. You might want to weight them down safely though, just incase some unknown chemical was near them caused some damage.(like a gas vapor) Just keep on the safe side. Look for any signs of damage. Other than that you should still be able to use them.

apollodorus

Feb 23, 2002, 10:53 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless your runners were stored in acid, or in the sun, six years will do NADA to nylon. It's a pretty stable polymer. Six year old runners that have been on your rack every day are The Death. The sun is what kills them. The nylon loses its elasticity and the polymer chains get broken by the UV rays. Think of it as skin cancer for your life-dependent pro.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook