RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

flashsixteen

Feb 25, 2002, 4:12 AM
Post #1 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Best way to wash rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I need "climber's everywhere" input on this one. I wasn't too sure if this was a gear forum question or not so sorry if some find this as inappropriate to put here, but my question has to do with washing your rope. This is my first dynamic rope I have owned. I have a static rope and I normally daisy chain my rope and throw it in the tumbling washer. With this dynamic rope I was told not to do that but put it in a pillow case without a daisy chain. My Mammut info booklet says to hand wash it. So here is my question, how do you normally wash your rope. I have a Mammut Flash (I'll bore you with details... Double-Dry; 10.5 mm; 60m) rope. This weekend I was throwing down at Pilot Mountain in NC and it was dry and a ton or two of dust and dirt were kicked and blown all over my rope ... my tarp was very inversly effective in trapping the dust and keeping my rope thoroughly cover with it. There was really nothing I could do since it was so dry and dust was just being blown around in the breeze. Normally I throw my rope in the washer without a pillow case, and especially now the pillow case seems like it would trap the dirt and never get rid of it. But before I do this, I want to make sure that it won't screw up my rope. So, how do you wash your rope normally and do you do anything different when you know there is a ton of dirt and dust sitting on the surface (not ground in ... hopefully)

Brian

captainprozac

Feb 25, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #2 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Best way to wash rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HAND wash...and hang it somewhere out of the sunlight to dry...when you rinse you may want to put a little fabric softener in the water...keep it OUT of the washer machine dude.

daisuke

Feb 25, 2002, 5:29 AM
Post #3 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can put it in the washer as long as you keep it in something like a pillowcase, no strong detergents!

climberstephen

Feb 25, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #4 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can wash it in a machine, but only a front loader. In top loaders, it will get tangled and stretched around the agitator unless you have it in a pillow case or something like stated above. But be sure it won't wiggle it's way out of it's bag.

I usually just take it to the laundry mat and spend 2 bucks on the heavy duty front loaders. I use Woolite, which is very mild, but not much. Or you can use nothing and just let the water do it's thing.

Lay it as straight as you can for a day or two to dry. Then climb away.....

[ This Message was edited by: climberstephen on 2002-02-24 22:20 ]

reno

Feb 25, 2002, 6:33 AM
Post #5 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was told to put the rope in the bathtub with a few capfuls of Woolite and lukewarm water, let it soak for a half-hour or so, agitate for a minute or two by hand, rinse well, and let air-dry.

Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks for input...

Best,

JRB

addiroids

Feb 25, 2002, 7:27 AM
Post #6 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DO NOT WASH A DRY ROPE

DO NOT WASH A DRY ROPE

I said it twice because you said it is a double dry rope. Just use that rope bag better or get a larger tarp. Washing a dry rope will take the dry coating off it. It is supposed to repel crap since it has that dry coating on it.

But the above suggestion is what I use for my NON-DRY rope. Be sure to wash your tub before you wash your rope, and rinse it many times before filling it for your rope.

When done, flake it on some towels, aim a COOL fan on it and re-flake once a day for 3 days. Then let it sit for a few more days before putting it back in the ropebag. NO SUNLIGHT AND NO HEAT!!

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

apollodorus

Feb 25, 2002, 9:00 AM
Post #7 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Movie People prefer that your rope be brand new, so the pathetic script is seen in the Best Light. To them, it is amazing how great their demented offerings is if the ropes is clean. Check out Vertical Limit, for the latest cinetrash. REALLY clean and new ropes, but a script right off the Three Stooges reject pile.

If the production co. won't buy you a new rope, wash it in the front loading coin-op thing downtown, and air dry it. Don't use the dryer.

newontherock

Feb 25, 2002, 11:01 AM
Post #8 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To wash a non-dry rope, put it either in the bathtub or use a rope washer. I like the rope washer, but either way works well. Although a rope washer is a little more expensive than what I think it is worth. You can get one here, or by typing in "rope washer" into any search engine.

http://store.wildernet.com/content/store/catalog/product.asp?cat=1116&prod=202

[ This Message was edited by: newontherock on 2002-02-25 03:02 ]

litedawg

Feb 27, 2002, 6:43 PM
Post #9 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please DO NOT put your rope in a washing machine!!!

Please do not ever tell another person to put their rope in a washing machine!!!

chemicals are the single best way to QUICKLY DESTROY your rope. Detergent is one of the worst, your washing machine is full of residue.

If you must wash it HAND WASH in a THOROUGHLY RINSED TUB, WARM WATER, THATS IT!

[ This Message was edited by: litedawg on 2002-02-27 10:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: litedawg on 2002-02-27 10:44 ]

froggy

Feb 27, 2002, 7:01 PM
Post #10 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you can't wash a dry rope?
What are we suppose to do then???
Does the bathtub idea work for this kind of rope also??
and Woolite or no woolite??

woodse

Feb 27, 2002, 7:21 PM
Post #11 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've washed my DRY-rope in the tub with warm water and a little soap, beware this does take a bit of your dry coating off so you may have to re-apply it with some store bought stuff. I think most stores sell it fo around $15-$20.

woodsE

c-horse
Deleted

Feb 28, 2002, 4:31 AM
Post #12 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll join in on the holy war. I wasn't sure what to do about this, so I searched through Google groups(rec.climbing) to see what people had ultimately decided.

The concensus there seemed to be
1. Wash it in a washing machine, but only in a mesh bag (like a laundry bag) or a pillowcase. Reason for the bag - knot prevention.
2. Use a mild detergent like Woolite or nothing at all.
3. Dry ropes will lose their treatment after repeated washings, but an aftermarket treatment can be reapplied.
4. Hang it over your shower rod or something, not in the sunlight. Rotate it as needed to dry it. It will take a few days.
5. The bathtub technique works too, and the rope brushes do a better job than the washing machine.

However, there were a handfull of people decrying loudly "don't do it, you fools!". So, I waited until my new rope (60M) arrived, before trying to wash my 2yr old dirty 50M rope (a 10.5mm dry rope, 1 good leader fall, 1 minor leader fall, almost exclusively used for toproping).

I got the mesh bag - which allowed all the dirt to pass away from the rope. It also allowed me to tie the end closed. I have an upright washer (agitator with paddles in the middle of the drum). I washed it twice, on cold, but used a tiny amount of liquid tide (about 1/4th of a load's worth). Between washings I removed it from the bag, and placed it back in the bag (some of the areas where the rope was touching itself didn't get completely clean - I'd say the rope was 75% brilliantly clean, and 25% not clean at all). After the second washing, it was just great - nice and shiny.

I bought one of those indoor close rack things (the vinyl covered dowel rods, on the folding (accordian style) rack at walmart for $9. And I draped my rope over that in my kitchen - completely filled the rack, with about a half inch space between each length of rope.

The next morning, my rope was completely dry.

It works great, feels the same, no noticeable increase in friction in the belay device or on the routes.

Two other people I climbed with washed their ropes the same way, also with great success, although one used woolite, and the other used only water - his rope did not get as clean as ours.

C
Hope that helps.
C

[ This Message was edited by: c-horse on 2002-02-27 20:35 ]

sizzlechest

Feb 28, 2002, 5:29 AM
Post #13 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

washing a dry rope is fine i've been doing it for the last 12 years of climbing, just use woolite or zero, after all what do you think happens when you ice climb or get caught on a rock route in the rain, boom your rope gets wet, better to take a little dry coating off then have the grit stay in there, and besides if you lower off chains at all like i do your rope will get grimy pretty fast.

as for the washing machine i've actually seen climbing manufacturers say the machine is okay as long as you wash it on delicate and a mesh bag, sometimes i run the machine empty for one cycle first to get rid of any residue.

hope this helps

flashsixteen

Mar 1, 2002, 6:40 PM
Post #14 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input, I think I have decided to bathtub my rope unless it get filthy then I will mess bag it with Woolight. If I ever abruptly stop posting here because my rope broke on a fall, we will know one of the two didn't work

morgan_fines

Mar 1, 2002, 10:43 PM
Post #15 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, lots of opinions on rope washing.
Washing rope is a washing machine sounds like a very bad idea for both the rope and the washing machine. And definetly don't use strong detergents. I've washed my rope in a bath tub before with baby shampoo. just swish is around a lot and then rinse is 2 or 3 times. DO NOT use fabric softener, its as bad as strong detergents I've heard.
Anyway, a rope shouldn't need to be washed very often, maybe once a season if well taken care of. That's my 2 cents anyway...

fo_d

Mar 2, 2002, 1:05 AM
Post #16 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maxim says you can wash your Maxim rope in the machine in a mesh bag with woolite, I did it that way, it worked well, I did runthe rinse 2x just to make sure I got the soap out.

Les

crackaddict

Mar 3, 2002, 4:49 PM
Post #17 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that the rope munufactures tell you all you need to know about washing their ropes. But, there is a lot off talk about soap residue in the washing machine. Those of you who are using your bath tubs to wash ropes in should know that there is more likely to be worse kinds of residues in your tub. Think about it. You use soap, shampoo in there. Then when you clean the tub you use detergents and chemicals that strip that scum and lime off. To even use these products you need to wear latex gloves to keep it from eating away your skin. Guess what there is still a chance of that residue remaining in your tub.
There is a solution! I use a medium sized Rubermaid storage container with a lid. Place your rope in there, add hot water, Woolite if needed, put the lid on, then agitate it by sloshing it side to side. Then I empty it and rinse it 2x's then same way. Then dry. Works good! If it needs a dry coating. Most climbing shops carry rope treatment for waterproofing ropes.
Hope this helps.

radistrad

Mar 3, 2002, 5:03 PM
Post #18 of 18 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to wash my rope in the tub with a little woollite or tide. I then use a rope washer to rinse it well. I take two chairs and lay the rope across the back of them to allow it to dry (out of the sun).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook