RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

maculated

Feb 28, 2002, 7:37 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Women's Harnesses
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So the other day I borrowed my friend's harness so that i could take some other friends TRing. My harness is an Arc'Teryx Isis - women's. His was some Black Diamond, obviously men's.

Other than mine being more plush because it's higher end, the only difference I saw was that my double-backing buckle was on the left! I never realized it until then.

I'm very satisfied with my harness, but I just gotta ask, why the heck would there BE a women's harness when they're adjustable? I bought it not knowing any better at the time. It's not like I can't buckle on the right, too. Sheesh.

socialclimber

Feb 28, 2002, 10:49 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Women's Harnesses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Petzl make a sport harness in mens and womans sizes called the Bonny and Clyde. The main differences between them was the size and shape of the waist belt and the size of the belay loop. In the end the rules for buying a harness is the same: try it on, see if you like it regardless of it's intended gender.

rocknrone

Feb 28, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I just spent an afternoon shopping for harnesses. She tried on at least ten before the Isis, after that it was no question which one she wanted. As far as I can tell, the distance between the waist belt and the leg loops is shorter in the womens, than in the mens. I'm sure you can find all the information you need on the web page.

old_school_guy

Feb 28, 2002, 10:11 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I understand it, women's harnesses have a longer rise - the distance between the leg loops and the waist belt - than do men's harnesses. I can see why. A lot of women who climb at our local gym have real trouble stuffing themselves into "men's" harnessess because of the short rise. I think a lot of men would rather have a longer rise themselves, since some short-rise harnesses put a lot of, er, pressure on the family jewels during a whipper. You should ignore the men's and women's labels and try on all of them. Then, buy the best-fitting harness.

miagi

Feb 28, 2002, 11:22 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing magazine issue March 15 2002 has a 5 page article on women's harnesses compared to mens and which are the best. You might want to look into it. I think its a pretty thorough article.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook