RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

hedgehawg

Dec 20, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1163 views)
Shortcut

How do you climb with your camera?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's a question for ya...

How do you carry your camera when climbing?
I know that most p&s will fit in your pocket, but how do you carry your DSLR/SLR when climbing?

I have a top load lowepro that I carry a D-100 w/ 17-35mm2.8, but I am curious to see what kind of drop-proof rigs/harnesses other people use when climbing with expensive camera gear and how they manage to keep from droping it when on the wall.

Thanks.

cologman

Dec 20, 2003, 7:15 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Re: How do you climb with your camera? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I typically just through it over my shoulder and move on. The older leather cases gave adequate protection for most situations. I just handled it carefully. Today's cases are more generic and don't fit as well are much less suitable. I currently use a Minolta Dimage 7i and have not come up with a decent case for it. I'm trying to make one out of thin closed cell foam. I have used a small fanny pack with some success but it doesn't work as well to get the camera in and out. Once years ago I dropped a Minolta off the North Face of Notchtop (RMNP) in winter. Decided to make a side trip on the descent and look for it. As luck would have it I found it and it still takes good pictures, that was around 30 yrs. ago. the best deal I've seen lately is the newest generation of point & shoot Digitals with megapixel ratings of 3.2 and up. The Pentax Optio will fit in a tin mouth mint box and takes very good photos. If I was using that I would sling it on a lanyard around my neck and keep it inside my shirt until I was ready to shoot something.

popol

Dec 20, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For alpine climbing: just carry it over my shoulder, if needed keeping it stable it with a snapper. If the damage risk is too high, just put it in the back pack.
For sports climbing: I never carry a camera while climbing. Can't make good shots then anyway. When I make sports climbing photo's, I use a separate rope, and I don't climb myself.

thomasribiere

Dec 22, 2003, 12:15 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^as popol said for sport climbing : when I climb I don't take pictures and vice-versa.
For mountaineering, depending on the the temperature and snow/rain, I either carry it over my shoulder or in my backpack, not under the jacket because it always get foggy due to humidity under the Gore-Tex (yes, there's some humidity under the Gore-Tex!!!).

thegreytradster

Dec 24, 2003, 4:40 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't carry an SLR (30 yr old Nikormat) much anymore as I've gone digital. But what worked really well (and was cheap) is use the over the shoulder or neck sling and a bungee with hooks on both ends. Crimp one hook down so it won't fall out of the D ring on the camera. Pull the other end around your back and hook it to the other D ring or sling as comfortable. Vola! no flopping camera, no case in the way and almost instant access. Doesn't work as well with long lenses though as the CG of the camera makes it flip down. Clip a biner thru the sling to your gear sling or something else as a back up. I never worried about the camera sling as the older Nikon ones are the same material as crampon straps and the D rings and attachment lugs bullet proof.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook