RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jccclimber

Jan 15, 2004, 2:22 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1534 views)
Shortcut

My first ABS
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wanted to go to my first ABS competition in N. Tonawanda in a couple weeks and i was just wondering about the format and everything. I've never been to a comp and i was wondering what the different categories are and stuff. I've been to rockcomps.com and learned some stuff but i just wanted to know what i'm in for. It also said on rockcomps.com that you had to register ahead of time but can i just register at the competition? Thanks a lot.

sarah

Jan 21, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: My first ABS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

abs comps are judged by your highest point routes ranging from 5 to 10 different routes sometimes you get higher points for your first try on the route sometimes you get infinite trys on a route you need to check out the registration form and see if there is any clues to the format

petsfed

Jan 21, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: My first ABS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't give you too much beta (as there's none to be had) but here's some things to keep in mind:

there are 3 formats, 2 of which are just variants on the same thing.
1) Onsight. This one's a head trip as you get some set amount of time to look over the problem, then you're put into isolation. You can't see the route, or any of the other competitors' techniques. When your name is called, you go out and you have a fixed amount of time or number of attempts on the problem. The faster you finish it, or the farther you go, the higher your score. This format isn't common in local comps.

2) Redpoint (fall subtraction): this is where you get as many chances as you need to send the route, but every time you start up but don't finish it will cost you some amount of points.

3) Redpoint (unlimited falls): You get as many chances as you want, with no distinction in scoring between your first attempt and your 80th attempt. Not common at higher ability comps.

In most cases, the people around you score you. Think about karma and don't be an ass when somebody asks for a signature after they finish a route. If you're shy or nervous, bring some climbing friends. Its good to have a cheer squad to keep you pumped up. Do not get tricked into comparing yourself to others. If you're smart, you're there for the raffle. Try to groove to the atmosphere and remember, I'm ranked 15th in Wyoming (in ABS, should be higher after saturday night), but last year I was dead last. I'm not a better climber from last year, just a more laidback one.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook