RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

outerborotrad

Jan 27, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #1 of 2 (738 views)
Shortcut

training for climbing AND alpine/ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a follow-up to the other thread on training for mountaineering, is there an efficient way to train simultaneously for mountaineering and climbing -- given the fact that most of us have jobs and other commitments than just working out? I'm picturing a combo of running, weights, climbing (outdoors and in the gym) and, as the other thread suggested, hiking with weight. But how to keep it all going given time limitations?

cryder

Jan 28, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #2 of 2 (738 views)
Shortcut

Re: training for climbing AND alpine/ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ive had pretty decent results from a cross training schedule that sharpens all my edges for my alpine projects, but keeps me interested in rock climbing. I try to allow one form of climbing to enhance my results in another, so they work together.

I used to race bicycles in Europe on the amatuer world cup circuit, and could have never gotten there without an honest to goodness five year plan that was measured annually in macro and micro cycles to allow for development lags and surges. Most importantly, it helps put meaningful goals in perspective and keeps me accountable.

I use a combo of low grade / high weight trail hiking for my muscular base, low wieght / high intensity hill sprints for building power, and cycling to develop my V02 max and other aerobically related aspects of mountaineering. I mix up the schedule based on where I am at in my macro cycle. I use climbing as a technical skill builder to keep me out of trouble.

Managing everything, like rest of your life, and still seeing results is no easy task. At some point everyday life things get cut away to make room for everyday climbing things. Just depends on how far you want to go and what you expect in return for your efforts. If you do happen upon the magic formula, write a book about it and retire wealthy.

Best of luck.

- n -

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook