RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerock

Feb 8, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Elbow pain?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

about two weeks ago i was working out on my hangboard and i started to feel this kinda dull pain in my elbow, at first i just thought that it was a bit of tendonitis, so i stopped training for a few days but it never really went away, is this from overtraining or what? has anyone else had these symptoms?

tarzan420

Feb 8, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re: Elbow pain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had pain that was similar before, most would suggest that it's an issue of underdeveloped opposing muscles. Start working the muscle groups that work in the opposite direction than when climbing. For me the most helpful/useful exercises have been pushups and dips. Others include wrist curls, etc.

roughster

Feb 9, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
about two weeks ago i was working out on my hangboard and i started to feel this kinda dull pain in my elbow, at first i just thought that it was a bit of tendonitis, so i stopped training for a few days but it never really went away, is this from overtraining or what? has anyone else had these symptoms?

Time to get on the RICE train my friend.

Rest - Laying off now may save you literally YEARS of agony.
Ice - Does miracles for the pain but also helps reduce the swelling which will then allow healing to start.
Compression - Some people like this, some don't, but an athletic wrap can help and you can have fun pretending to be mummy man :lol:
Elevation - For your arms thats pretty easy. Make sure you keep an ice cold long neck in it and drink constantly ;) Of course just kidding, but that does bring up another point.

Drink lots of water, make sure you warm up for longer than you would think necessary when you start getting going again, and stop immediately upon pain.

I am still rehabing a left elbow that literally sidelined me for over a year as well as has kept me breaking it back in slowly but surely for the last 2 years. I let my arm get so bad it hurt just to let its own weight rest on the joint.

That is what you call being stupid to let it go that far and get that FUBARed.

Good luck!

irwan

Feb 9, 2004, 3:26 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've had pain that was similar before, most would suggest that it's an issue of underdeveloped opposing muscles. Start working the muscle groups that work in the opposite direction than when climbing. For me the most helpful/useful exercises have been pushups and dips. Others include wrist curls, etc.

I find doing reverse bicep curls helps too...

kimmyt

Feb 9, 2004, 1:43 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently strained my elbow bouldering at the gym. Fortunately, I noticed the pain almost right afterwards, and decided to lay off climbing for a week until it felt better. I tried to not strain it, and taped it if I did have to do something physical. Luckily it got better almost directly after that week.

My climbing partner hurt her elbow similarly early on in our climbing days. She didn't lay off as soon as I did, maybe because at the time we didn't know how serious a tendon injury could be. She started doing wrist curls with light weights, combined that with some rest, and the injury got better.

Don't know if this'll help you. Hope you get better!

K.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook