RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

upmike

Feb 21, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Buying Crashpads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey,

just wondering where to find and buy a crashpad thats cheap and about 8ft. by 6ft. so if anyone knows where one like that can be found i would appreicate it.
thanks-

andy_reagan

Feb 21, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: Buying Crashpads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the internet.

trust this helps,

Andy

brittamac

Feb 21, 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Despite the snide tone of andy_reagan's reply 8) he's exactly right; the internet's the best bet. Both Climbing and R&I mags have reviews crashpads (I think Climbing did one about 6 months ago) But, depending on your definition of cheap, you could check out ebay for something used, or go homemade - easy to do yourslef with some thick padding/foam material - you could chuck it when its gets gross. If you want something as big as 8x6, you probably want something that can fold down a couple of times or getting out the site's going to be a real pain; look for backpack type straps and a pocket for putting your car keys! Good luck

walllizzard

Mar 7, 2004, 9:59 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it seam the only thing keeping you from buying a cheap pad now days is where you buy it from. i know several sites that have inexpensive pads. You should also check out ebay, i had a friend get a misty highlander for around $100 and didnt even looked used. I have a misty highlander pad and love it. ive also seen threads for making your own pad. one of teh sites o know of is acmeclimbing.com, linkupgear.com

bmoscon

Mar 7, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only thing keeping you from a cheap crash pad is the size it sounds like, 8 ft by 6 ft? thats pretty damn big for a single crash pad.

mreardon

Mar 8, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For something that big, try a Sealy Posturepuric, or a mattress by Simmons. You might even find one of those cool orthopedic mattresses on wheels if you look hard enough.

dredsovrn

Mar 8, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recall seeing on at a site I think was www.fishproducts.com that was big an pretty reasonable. I also recall a guy posting about making his own mondo pad for about 60-80 bucks. You can get good high density foam, cut to size at furniture makers and fabric stores. Get som HD fabris, some webbing for straps and so the thing up. Tough to beat the price on custom size like that. That does depend on what your time is worth. I personally have a Franklin Drop Zone that I like and sometimes wish was wider when the route traverses. Thicker when I am 20' up on a highball would be good to. Although, that does encourage you to press on.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook